Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This is outstanding work, thanks all! I will reference this on my blog soon.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
This is outstanding work, thanks all! I will reference this on my blog soon.
Shhhh - don't tell Abill because this is his secret..

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Spain
Very disappointed and do not know what to do ... unfortunately I am one of the users of the N900 to it broke the USB, I take it to nokia service from 10 days ago and today received a message saying that it had to offer the phone.

To my surprise I had given a Nokia E7, that no longer makes Nokia N900, supposedly now this is the flagship of Nokia (for price if it is). But as we all know, this phone is a little **** compared to the possibilities of our N900 and other brands.

Do not know if I can claim to Nokia on this central event, but I am very saddened by the loss of this great N900.

Maybe try to sell cheap and buy me Galaxy S2 | | HTC Sensation with vodafone ..

I'm screwed.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by xiskillo View Post
Very disappointed and do not know what to do ... unfortunately I am one of the users of the N900 to it broke the USB, I take it to nokia service from 10 days ago and today received a message saying that it had to offer the phone.

To my surprise I had given a Nokia E7, that no longer makes Nokia N900, supposedly now this is the flagship of Nokia (for price if it is). But as we all know, this phone is a little **** compared to the possibilities of our N900 and other brands.

Do not know if I can claim to Nokia on this central event, but I am very saddened by the loss of this great N900.

Maybe try to sell cheap and buy me Galaxy S2 | | HTC Sensation with vodafone ..

I'm screwed.
what is cheap, im on the lookout for one more, and what country do you live in (keyboard layout)

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
The D+/- pins are correct but missing any ESD protection, so are not exactly a replacement for the USB receptacle contacts. Refer schematics, V5301 and Z5300 - the D+/- pad shown here are the J5300/1 test points. Using these without the ESD protection from those components may cause damage to the chips that interface to the USB.

Same applies for 5V VBUS: correct pad but a lot of missing protective gear:
F5300 2A fuse
N5300 reverse polarity (and OVP?) prot diode
C5300 100nF feed-thru capacitor to filter spikes and RF
C5301 27pF capacitor to further filter RF
L5300 choke to filter ripple and spikes
the pad itself seems isn't shown in schematics

For fixing a broken USB receptacle there are definitely better ways than using those pads. I think it's been some thread here that had a photo of a fixed USB that used short wires to contact to Z5300 and F5300 inside shielding can next to receptacle. To fixate the receptacle component you can use 2-component glue if the mech support pads are also gone.

ID pin you'll probably not really miss, as it's basically useless for a micro-B-USB-F - it's a OTG thing and N900 can't do OTG. H-E-N doesn't need ID

The D+/- short for fastcharge is specified as a simple short. No need for any resistor.

One last thing: Battery minus is NOT GND! Don't use it like that

HTH, click thanks if it did
jOERG
OK I have recently joined the broken USB club ( ) . I understand your point about the circuit protection, however I would like you to answer these 2 questions for me.

1. If I developed a circuit board which had the protection your talking about to use these easily accessible points as my new USB connection. Can you detail the entire circuit from the USB cable back to the test points.

2. If there are "easier ways to fix those pads" please detail how you would do it for someone who may not have access to the proper tools, or the small circuit expertise to attempt such a fix.

I have an option of sending away to a U.S. repair company however if it will just break again over time is this a "better solution"?

Please don't take this post as confrontational it really is not meant to sound that way. I just really want a long term solution for my N900. I have been very carefully with my n900 for the last year and a half, I would charge it almost 2x a day. Now I have an external battery charger and a spare battery. However I still haven't figured out a way to easily transfer files to and from my device, Synchronize my contacts, and messages, or flash my device.

I am hopefull I can find, or make a long term solution!

Last edited by lorul2; 2011-06-05 at 21:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to lorul2 For This Useful Post:
Could this internal USB-Port be used for an internal USB-Harddisk?
(Superflat with a special battery cover)

Or for an internal SD-Reader (as Swap)?

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by gerdich View Post
Could this internal USB-Port be used for an internal USB-Harddisk?
(Superflat with a special battery cover)

Or for an internal SD-Reader (as Swap)?
Technically yes, but you need to use H-E-N first to activate SD-Card reader and then enable swap.
This will seriously drain you battery, but should work.

Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
OK I have recently joined the broken USB club ( ) . I understand your point about the circuit protection, however I would like you to answer these 2 questions for me.

1. If I developed a circuit board which had the protection your talking about to use these easily accessible points as my new USB connection. Can you detail the entire circuit from the USB cable back to the test points.

2. If there are "easier ways to fix those pads" please detail how you would do it for someone who may not have access to the proper tools, or the small circuit expertise to attempt such a fix.

I have an option of sending away to a U.S. repair company however if it will just break again over time is this a "better solution"?

Please don't take this post as confrontational it really is not meant to sound that way. I just really want a long term solution for my N900. I have been very carefully with my n900 for the last year and a half, I would charge it almost 2x a day. Now I have an external battery charger and a spare battery. However I still haven't figured out a way to easily transfer files to and from my device, Synchronize my contacts, and messages, or flash my device.

I am hopefull I can find, or make a long term solution!
1. I'm new to the forums here, so I hope im not giving you any misinformation (xD). Attached is the section from the N900 schematics related to the VBUS.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vertigodragon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Originally Posted by xiskillo View Post
I take it to nokia service from 10 days ago and today received a message saying that it had to offer the phone.

Guarranty is for 2-years, no? If you had the patience, may be now you can get a N9/N950 (who knows)

Last edited by Hariainm; 2011-06-09 at 00:55.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
The D+/- pins are correct but missing any ESD protection, so are not exactly a replacement for the USB receptacle contacts. Refer schematics, V5301 and Z5300 - the D+/- pad shown here are the J5300/1 testpoints. Using these without the ESD protection from those components may cause damage to the chips that interface to the USB.

Same applies for 5V VBUS: correct pad but a lot of missing protective gear:
F5300 2A fuse
N5300 reverse polarity (and OVP?) prot diode
C5300 100nF feed-thru capacitor to filter spikes and RF
C5301 27pF capacitor to further filter RF
L5300 choke to filter ripple and spikes
the pad itself seems isn't shown in schematics

For fixing a broken USB receptacle there are definitely better ways than using those pads. I think it's been some thread here that had a photo of a fixed USB that used short wires to contact to Z5300 and F5300 inside shielding can next to receptacle. To fixate the receptacle component you can use 2-component glue if the mech support pads are also gone.

ID pin you'll probably not really miss, as it's basically useless for a micro-B-USB-F - it's a OTG thing and N900 can't do OTG. H-E-N doesn't need ID

The D+/- short for fastcharge is specified as a simple short. No need for any resistor.

One last thing: Battery minus is NOT GND! Don't use it like that

HTH, click thanks if it did
jOERG
Sorry to dampen your mod but for the above reasons it is just not a good option and wow a hell of a lot of work to this when all you need to do is open it up and repair the usb port properly, this takes away the risks of this mod and the wires hanging out everywhere.

Lets face it once you even touch a Nokia device with a soldering iron the warranty is gone anyhow so better to open up and do the job properly !.

PS and if i am not wrong this mod will bypass the charging circuit and not a wise move at all.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-06-09 at 02:20.

Tags
test points, usb port