Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
It is bit difficult for me to understand. How the phone is currently detecting the OTH swap if it does not have built in NFC?
I think rainisto teased about it already on TMO. What I understood is that the antenna currently on the devce is small and can only detect inner NFC chips embedded in Ambiance Other Halves, but I may be wrong. I asked for details to clarify and make sure I got it right, but got no answer. I was very disappointed that they did not manage to put proper NFC in the main half.

The other half concept is great, but you can't count on it for basic hardware features like if people were going to go out with their phone and 3-4 OH. NFC is basic stuff, and now if I want a good HWKB OH, it needs to include NFC as well, not to mention FM radio. :/ I can't imagine having to drop NFC to have radio (and then not being able to pair my BT headphones easily), or having to drop NFC to have a keyboard. Droping the keyboard for weather sensors would be OK, as well as droping an Angry Birds OH for an extralarge battery OH. But NFC in 2013-2014 is something different, it's like discarding gyroscope from the main half and putting it in an OH.

Fortunately enough, no OH is out yet, so I don't have to chose anyway.

I can understand the lack of FM radio given that it is not used by a large proportion of users (yet very important to those that find a use in it), but NFC antenna too tiny for working with something else than OH? :/ Hope I got it wrong, which is totally possible. Sorry in advance, if so.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Oh dear disappointing first call with the phone - it powered down half way through for no obvious reason:-(

Seems fine on reboot though, will wait and see

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by richardyates View Post
Oh dear disappointing first call with the phone - it powered down half way through for no obvious reason:-(

Seems fine on reboot though, will wait and see
Sure it powered down? Proximity sensor will turn off display to save power during call.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
powered down as in ended call, totally unresponsive, woke up when I pressed the power button

The Following User Says Thank You to richardyates For This Useful Post:
someone posted a dmesg that showed 28 partitions(!). Anything weird on the filesystems? Lots of Android stuff?

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Ok next stupid question. How do i get the .rpm onto the phone. Loaded several android apps via dropbox but the phone tells me "please download an app that can open this file". Similarly I can't get a file attachment to open (though that was an opml file)

I can do terminal, but easier not to - my eyesight is only OK at best so its quite hard work!

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
powered down as in ended call, totally unresponsive, woke up when I pressed the power button
Please get in touch with care@jolla.com if this happens again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Please get in touch with care@jolla.com if this happens again.
Ok will do. Hope it doesn't!

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Ok next stupid question. How do i get the .rpm onto the phone. Loaded several android apps via dropbox but the phone tells me "please download an app that can open this file". Similarly I can't get a file attachment to open (though that was an opml file)

I can do terminal, but easier not to - my eyesight is only OK at best so its quite hard work!
Have you loaded the android compatability app from the Jolla store?

yes, sorry maybe not clear. I can download .apk from dropbox and the phone installs them no problem

However getting the .rpm files onto the phone that way doesn't work. I want to get as many sailfish apps on there instead of android as possible, so that's quite important

The Following User Says Thank You to richardyates For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience