Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
most consumers don't look at specs before the buy phones. They use input as freinds, sales poeple in store and if the device looks cool or not. One other thing is also very importent. They want a phone they can handle easely. It should be easy to operate and work as the previous phone.

Not all hanging forum looking for the best techphone. stores and shops are paid alot of money from the vendors to prome the vendors phone.

So my guess is. Clockspeed and specs are not so importent for most consumers.

Last edited by Dave999; 2011-01-09 at 08:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Optimized denotes "optimal". Lagging to the point where I might miss a phone call because it has to think about rotating; that is not optimal. Glad you can multi-task a whole lot. Woo. But it can't multi-task stuff that I'd like for it to do smoothly... thus, not optimized. Just... running on the hardware with the 256mb of RAM it has.
Optimal for what? For getting a phone call under any amount of system stress? Or being able to receive a phone call pretty damn well under stress that quite a lot of phones would just not let you subject them to in the first place?

It depends on what you want from the device. Yeah, maybe it is pretty crappy in the use cases you use it for. That's life, and **** happens. That doesn't mean that over all the OS isn't optimized.

I've seen Android phones take like two minutes to load the 'desktop'/homescreen/whatever-it's-called. I haven't SEEN an iPhone lag recently, but I also haven't seen an iPhone let me run more than one thing at once. I've heard the latest iOSs actually allow multi-tasking... sorta, or whatever the hell they 'allow', but I have yet to be able to launch one game, minimize it, then launch another game, while having the first game continue to play in the background. But I CAN do that on the N900, and while the battery will take a hit and it'll sometimes get choppy, it still also usually takes calls just fine (if you'd really like, I can do some tests, but the point is, in most of my use cases, I don't have call problems - at the worst I'm about the click something and then the phone screen pops up). Yeah, occasionally it misses them, that's true.

But I've personally never had that happen often enough (maybe once, if I recall correctly) that I wouldn't call it a lack of optimization. It's just that there isn't padding keeping you from pushing the system to the point where it will have a chance of failing to get a call and display the UI for taking it right.

Originally Posted by ysss
10 I assume you missed the last line of my post?
I interpreted it differently that you meant it in context. My bad.

I was answering Mattbutts' post, where he was referencing 'the deal' for the 'clueless'.
I felt it was still valid to say what I said. Though given that your 'it depends' meant something much closer to what I rambled about than what I thought it meant, it was a lot less productive to say it.

Though I think his clueless point does have merit. Yes, calling them 'clueless' is oversimplification. But at the same time, for the people who fit under the same category, it was a better deal for them, which is, essentially, what you basically reaffirmed, except he just lumped iPhone users into the label "clueless" while you went for a different implicit category of people who-actually-would-enjoy-the-iPhone-as-a-phone, or something along those lines. The only difference being that if you read his post literally, it implies that you have to be clueless to like the iPhone, were-as you made no such generalization.

And because your post was (at least in my perception) largely disagreement with him, I interpreted the "it depends" as different than what you seem to have meant it as.

ps: yes, you can get a status-bar-like app for the iPhone where you can toggle things from anywhere, without going in/out of the settings app.
Cool. Learned something new.

pps: no, you don't need to always change the brightness manually on iPhones, because they have auto-brightness setting which works rather well.
Cool, I guess. The iPhone user I primarily interact with has complained about his auto-brightness adjustment as not that great. I suppose it's a preference/settings thing.

I am actually very happy with my auto-brightness adjusting on the N900 too - but I like having the option to tweek it even further if I want/need to. (Most of the time I just keep it at 4/5, and the range is wide enough for most use cases. But I am also prone to pulling all nighters, so when I sit in a pitch black dorm room, having the light set even dimmer helps with seeing the rest of the room when looking up. Either way eyes adjust pretty quickly, but that extra second can be pretty helpful in some cases.

So at the end of the day, you're paying $4-500 for the n900.

Whereas someone who bought the iPhone at full price $600-ish can probably resell it for $3-400 when they upgrade, bringing their cost down to $2-300.
Makes sense. Though I don't see myself wanting to upgrade that often. At least not with the N900. But I admit I'm not the average smartphone user. So I'm far less interested in upgrading regularly, especially because I don't see the N900 as needing an upgrade as soon for the things I want out of my phone for my happiness/needs. (I mean, it's going to get slower and shittier than everything else on the market very fast, but I suspect I'll be like the people still using their N770s today.)

My point was that the iPhone is a good fit for the mass. And why should 'we' care about this? Because we need those f'in mass too.
I agree with that. However, if I actually had to bring all the other topics into this, I would argue that there are far higher priorities, among which is tweaking certain aspects of the mass. And that tweaking would indirectly contributing to the mass caring more about their abilities and device functionality not being inhibited, etc. Not that there wouldn't be a large plurality still happy with iPhones, and there's nothing wrong with that - it's just other arguably 'better' (obviously better by specific criteria, not necessarily for casual end use, etc) projects wouldn't need support of 'the mass' as much.

But then I'm getting into topic far outside the scope of this forum.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Optimal for what?
Optimal performance. Whenever I tweak a machine - let's say Windows for now - it's optimized to the hardware via tweaking, removing processes that will affect any/all aspects of operation.

I do that for Windows based servers, Linux, whatever. Maemo works well under no load. I can't say the same when there is a load by certain processes, telephony included.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
No, we don't want it to happen. Not at all. In fact, I'd hope that every international and federal trade commission would vote against it.

Optimized denotes "optimal". Lagging to the point where I might miss a phone call because it has to think about rotating; that is not optimal. Glad you can multi-task a whole lot. Woo. But it can't multi-task stuff that I'd like for it to do smoothly... thus, not optimized. Just... running on the hardware with the 256mb of RAM it has.
Almost nobody else has this issue. Maybe you installed a bugged program from devel? There is a disclaimer about that repository, if you want to phone to work perfectly 99 percent of the time, don't install from there. Also, my point wasn't that I could "multi-task a whole lot", it was that I could "multi-task a whole lot" lag free.

Mattbutts'
Wowza, ysss! You're quite a smart man thinking up a crafty insult like that. What I don't understand is where it came from. All I said is that the iPhone is great for many due to it's simplicity, which is true. Not like I was bashing anything or anybody.

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2011-01-09 at 20:47.

Tags
circle jerk, just shoot me, misspelled lazy, trollpower, us vs eu