Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint-Petersburg, Russia
2 KiberGus and pycage
Widget and ussd-pad work great (MegaFon - SPb, Russia).

Some notes and wishes for the widget:
1. Add option to close or hide message text. (I don't like to see advertising **** on the desktop all the time.)
2. May be to implement forced line breaks after 70-80 characters in the answer to view whole text on the desktop?
3. Correct "meaming" to "meaning" in the help text of the widget configuration dialog .
Thanks.

Last edited by 2l00Z; 2010-01-11 at 14:52.

Due to this bug ussd-widget can't be made responsive.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7809
So now I'll dscontnue it's development and when I'll have time I'll
1) Continue it if the bug will be fixed
2) Reimplement widget in C++ otherways

P.S. You can write a script, which will cutt off advertisement and specify it in "parser" settings.

I added configurable regexp option to this excellent widget.
It matches received data against user-provided regexp and returns first capturing parentheses data.

For example, for MTS Russia you have to provide
Code:
(.+?[\d\,\.]+)
regexp to get only "Balance: 123,34" in a message window.

Regexp matching applied at the end of message processing chain.

I've attached both diff file (for developers) and complete modified /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/ussd-widget.py for those who want to try it.

Python regexp documentation can be found there.
Attached Files
File Type: gz ussd-widget.regexp.diff.gz (1.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: gz ussd-widget.py.gz (3.1 KB, 180 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to irmin For This Useful Post:
I wasn't able to add widget from menu while starting it from command line worked fine.
Adding
Code:
import gobject
as first import directive at the beginning of the file seems (as someone mentioned in this thread before) to solve the problem.

Originally Posted by irmin View Post
I wasn't able to add widget from menu while starting it from command line worked fine.
Adding
Code:
import gobject
as first import directive at the beginning of the file seems (as someone mentioned in this thread before) to solve the problem.
I'll make a release with all your patches this evening. Beside that it would contain code refactored for thread support. But threads would be disabled because they don't work in hildon-home environment. BTW timer doesn't work too, so I'll disable it.

Originally Posted by KiberGus View Post
I'll make a release with all your patches this evening. Beside that it would contain code refactored for thread support. But threads would be disabled because they don't work in hildon-home environment. BTW timer doesn't work too, so I'll disable it.
Seems that I almost solved the problem with interface blocking during long i/o calls.
The solution with gobject i/o Martin Grimme advised is working nice on tests (i.e. I can run other shortcuts during long call and interact with other widgets) when running both as standalone script and from hildon menu.
I'll post a patch this night after making my code more readable

P.S. Discussing with Andre Klapper is almost always useless so don't ever spend your time trying to explain him anything. Seems that he lives in parallel universe so trying to communicate with people in this reality is a hard task for him

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
P.S. Discussing with Andre Klapper is almost always useless so don't ever spend your time trying to explain him anything. Seems that he lives in parallel universe so trying to communicate with people in this reality is a hard task for him
It's hardly worth dignifying a statement like this with a response, but I can't let such an insulting comment about such a dedicated member of this community go past without one.

Let me explain a bit about the kind of position Andre is in. Maemo has two separate bugtracking systems. The first is the public tracker you see at http://bugs.maemo.org, the second is the internal tracker that sits behind Nokia's firewall. Andre is very nearly the only connection between these two trackers. What this means is that it's his job to forward information back and forth between the two trackers.

Unfortunately this puts him between a rock and a hard place, as many people (apparently yourself included) interpret Nokia's positions and tone as his own. He's got a hard job, there's no need to make it more difficult by being unpleasant. A good attitude will get you far.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Thank you very much. I've compiled deb with your patches and it is in garage now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KiberGus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Unfortunately this puts him between a rock and a hard place, as many people (apparently yourself included) interpret Nokia's positions and tone as his own. He's got a hard job, there's no need to make it more difficult by being unpleasant. A good attitude will get you far.
Ryan, if one can't do his job well - it's bad. Usually it's better to not do such public job at all rather then trying to work 16 hours per day, have an headache due to overload and write comments which make people feel... strange.

Currently the only option I see which can help to overloaded Andre "The-Only-Connection" Klapper is not to try discuss with him at all. His time is too precious for both sides.

May be community can do something more to fix it? Ask Nokia management to find more personnel for this job for example?

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Ryan, if one can't do his job well - it's bad. Usually it's better to not do such public job at all rather then trying to work 16 hours per day, have an headache due to overload and write comments which make people feel... strange.

Currently the only option I see which can help to overloaded Andre "The-Only-Connection" Klapper is not to try discuss with him at all. His time is too precious for both sides.

May be community can do something more to fix it? Ask Nokia management to find more personnel for this job for example?
If only there were a no-thanks button.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kieron For This Useful Post:

Tags
dial, dialing, lack of phone features, lack of quality control, sms, telephony, ussd