I looked around and haven't seen this addressed. I just installed GarnetVM and it seems pretty neat but displays vertically on my screen taking up maybe a third at most of the available space.

The screen on the Nokia is small enough, I don't need to make it more challenging for me! Is there a way to rotate the Garnet screen and make it take up most or all of the available screen space?

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Rotate: Yes. Resize: No. Sorry. More info here (read the comments too):

http://sense-datum.org/tim/archive/2...samoff__weblog

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Unfortunately, rotating means typing with the built-in keyboard becomes very awkward.

I wonder how many Palm applications are written to target a fixed screen size and aspect ratio?

That's too bad. As I said in my first post in this thread, the VM is really cool and I was excited at the chance of running some of the programs I have liked on my palm devices, but with that small screen layout, I don't really see it as useful.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Michigan, USA
What I'd like them to do is shift the VM image to the left (or right if you're left handed) and add a soft keyboard with nice big keys to the remaining 2/3 of the screen. you could probably have a finger usable keyboard in that space...

...or a MASSIVE graffiti area ;0)

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
As far as I know, the present VM for Maemo is beta release, with final version expected by December; maybe would have full or more usable screen size then.

Last edited by akd; 2007-11-30 at 21:46.

Originally Posted by hircus View Post
Unfortunately, rotating means typing with the built-in keyboard becomes very awkward.

I wonder how many Palm applications are written to target a fixed screen size and aspect ratio?
Well, technically, all of them. Palm OS (aka Garnet) never quite got enough of a graphical toolkit to handle any sort of resizeable window. The screen resolutions are basically the standard (160x160, which is normally automatically pixel-doubled by the OS in newer devices), HiRes (320x320), or HiRes+ (320x480, allowing the dynamic input area to be minimized into the status bar). There is no support for any other resolutions in the OS.

Originally Posted by akd View Post
As far as I know, the present VM for Maemo is beta release, with final version expected by December; maybe would have full or more usable screen size then.
I definitely hope so. It's an interesting toy now, but if it could use most of the screen, I'd love it.

Originally Posted by Traecer View Post
Well, technically, all of them. Palm OS (aka Garnet) never quite got enough of a graphical toolkit to handle any sort of resizeable window. The screen resolutions are basically the standard (160x160, which is normally automatically pixel-doubled by the OS in newer devices), HiRes (320x320), or HiRes+ (320x480, allowing the dynamic input area to be minimized into the status bar). There is no support for any other resolutions in the OS.
Yes. it's an interesting beata but PLEASE PLEASE we need to be able to run the display in 320/320 full screen mode for any real usefullness, most programs have a 320x320 mode built in or are automatically scaled by the OS (garnet 5) to that as I remember.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany

I hope they do something like that...

Tags
garnet, palm