Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@pataphysician: i think that sort of thing depends more on the sim card's placement on the device than a technical requirement that the cell portion of the device be shut down. Most of the time they can be shutdown by software anyway to simulate a 'power cycle' if it's required by the sim at all.

Of course I may just be talking out of my backend here, but if you care that much about a 1 minute planned downtime, you can try hooking the device up to external power before you turn off the cell radio (without powering down the device) and swap the sim card.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Also remember powering on the device (at least for me) seems to hammer the battery (unless it's plugged into a charger, which is what I do when I want to power on/off for some reason)

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Originally Posted by JayMontano View Post
But being Symbian, I need to restart them either to refresh the RAM (at least twice a day) or to pop the battery out because the damn thing has frozen :S.
Lately, I haven't had to bother with the techniques you mentioned. My N82 has been restarting on it's own.
Maybe it's a new feature....."Auto-Boot".

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
I did notice on the Nokia Booklet 3G the sim is hot swappable, requiring no reboot, is there something like that on the n900?
No,since the sim card is buried beneath the battery, the device will have to be off for a minimum of 1 minute and 6 secs.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think the slide-to-unlock on N900 is kind of pointless though.. the one on iPhone is located right under your thumb when you hold it in portrait mode. Thus when you want to turn it on, you make the gesture to click (the home button) and flick from left to right right above it... all in a single continuous gesture. I don't think this is the case on the landscape-oriented N900.
The swipe to unlock screen on the N900 can be used in landscape or portrait...if the person is using the phone in portrait, then the ball is located right under your thumb :P

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aSIMULAtor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aSIMULAtor View Post
The swipe to unlock screen on the N900 can be used in landscape or portrait...if the person is using the phone in portrait, then the ball is located right under your thumb :P
Awesome sauce. Was hoping that would be the case

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by UCOMM View Post
No,since the sim card is buried beneath the battery, the device will have to be off for a minimum of 1 minute and 6 secs.
Based on the startup times from pre-release firmware, of course. . . .

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by aSIMULAtor View Post
Ahhhh good to hear. (where's the on button located btw?)

ps: i wonder where the iphone haters are that used to b*tch about how ridiculous the slide-to-unlock screen was, now that it's coming to maemo :P

I still think it's annoying. =P But it beats having two press two buttons. Though something like Android's screen lock mechanism was interesting. It wasn't just slide to unlock but there were several dots and you could create a swipe pattern as a password.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Ahhhh good to hear. (where's the on button located btw?)

ps: i wonder where the iphone haters are that used to b*tch about how ridiculous the slide-to-unlock screen was, now that it's coming to maemo :P
on button is on the right side if you're holding it in portrait mode

slide button is on the bottom in portrait mode i think

The Following User Says Thank You to UCOMM For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, speed, startup time, swipe to unlock