Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I hereby declare the licensing change requests queue open, as proposed in this post:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Open_developme...hange_requests

Feel free to submit yours, follow procedure, and let's see where this leads

My hope is that it will lead to more constructive discussion and more openness of the Maemo OS. There are some existing proposals open already, that I will be evaluating over the next couple of days in order to prioritize them.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moscow, Russia
Where existing license could be read?
Does it disallow use of these binaries on n900 in way other than official? or disallow distributing? or what?

How I hate all that licensing nonsense...

The Following User Says Thank You to yoush For This Useful Post:
General split is:

open source (you can find src in sdk, gitorious, etc), non-free, nokia-binaries (probably not free for anything but sdk usage or development). If you want to use anything not oss, you need to see if a solution can be worked out.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Previously, people were told to make license change proposals in Brainstorm:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Open_developme...losed_packages
but it seems that the queue is already populated with those that were filed as bugs. It is nice that the legwork was done to include them, but the queue just opened, and the proposals filed as bugs are listed with preexisting votes. One has 52 votes and it must have taken awhile to accumulate that many votes.

I suggest that voting should be restarted or at least that preexisting votes should not be the dominant factor in determining which requests get put at the top of the queue.

And if a request is improper, will the requester be contacted to inform him or her of that so they know to correct the request?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Previously, people were told to make license change proposals in Brainstorm:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Open_developme...losed_packages
but it seems that the queue is already populated with those that were filed as bugs. It is nice that the legwork was done to include them, but the queue just opened, and the proposals filed as bugs are listed with preexisting votes. One has 52 votes and it must have taken awhile to accumulate that many votes.

I suggest that voting should be restarted or at least that preexisting votes should not be the dominant factor in determining which requests get put at the top of the queue.

And if a request is improper, will the requester be contacted to inform him or her of that so they know to correct the request?
Yes, previous requests that were still open was included - I will be converting them to have proper request info and then we'll see. Some can probably be dismissed out of hand since existing discussion has indicated it won't happen. The important thing is getting requests in and getting a process going.

Regarding improper, yes, through bugzilla notification and ability to correct it.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
A small update: The current listing of the queue isn't doing my bidding very well. I'll be looking at how to present it better.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
A small update: The current listing of the queue isn't doing my bidding very well. I'll be looking at how to present it better.
OK, one thing now appears. The queue has changed in the last week. Is there a way to tell what happened? Did items get dropped? Did they get passed on? etc.

Right. All this is available as information in bugzilla - people CC'ed on the bugs get told what happens when it does

3195 accidentially got marked ASSIGNED by me - I am waiting for GeneralAntilles to fill in the form as I can't be objective if I am making the forms myself

9138 (HildonFancyButton, new - going quite well IMHO), 4520 (old), 4560 (old) is being considered in an internal bug

1235 got marked WONTFIX, the media player opening bug:

"I have tried, but at this point the best is to resolve as WONTFIX.

The Fremantle Media Player won't be opened."

7811 WONTFIX, - Calendar:

"The Fremantle Calendar application won't be opened. Note that the Calendar
backend component in the platform is open source."

5549 (libosso-abook) is waiting for a statement on Quim on the progress of this one

7019 (getbootstate) got evaluated by me and now waits in line with a priority HIGH.

and the first success (FIXED) with a clear statement for CSSU:

9145 - Permission to modify and redistribute "OS2008 Feature upgrade" metapackages

All this info is available through the links on http://wiki.maemo.org/Open_developme...hange_requests

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-02-27 at 17:24.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
...and the first success (FIXED) with a clear statement for CSSU:

9145 - Permission to modify and redistribute "OS2008 Feature upgrade" metapackages
Woot! Good news! Bug 9145:

Carsten:
I don't think there is any legal problem to create a package similar to the
data of dpkg -s osso-software-version-rx44 output on a device as it is
basically a construct of all software versions on a device SSU along with some
versioning data for the SSU itself and some flags publically described in the
HAM documentation/test cases above. Especially when it is for the basis of a
community SSU.

Quim:
I agree.

What matters here is the communication part. Describe well to end users what
are you actually offering to download. Make sure there is no confusion about
this being a community provided update with no guarantees as opposed to a Nokia
official update.

Keep all this in the segment of "community collaboration" and "open source
innovation" and everything will be fine.

So the good news is that Nokia allow you to distribute something that you don't need their permissions in order to distribute.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post: