Notices

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I read a lot of VNC messages here. My problem is that after I run VNC Viewer, I I am asked for a password and it won't accept the password I give it although I set the password on the Ubuntu desktop that is running vncserver.

It is my understanding that the fact that I am asked for a password means that I am successfully connecting with vncserver. Is that correct?

SSH works fine, by the way; I'm not using this as part of the VNC attempts, I'm just mentioning this to show that the remote connection functions.

It seems that the problem is in my vncserver password, so I found the .vnc directory on my Ubuntu machine and deleted the passwd file that existed in that directory. The next time I ran vncserver, it asked me for a password and I gave it the one I wanted it to have. But still, when I run vnc viewer and connect to that machine, I get a message asking for the password and rejecting the password I set.

So, what's the problem?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Scratch this question, which I am leaving in in case it helps others. The answer is that the vncserver command posts the name of the new 'X' desktop followed by the display number, something like desktop: 6. On the N800, I used the ip address and added :6 and the password was accepted.