Hi guys,

I have the dropbox application on my N9 but what is the use of it? i open it, log in and see my documents...but i can't open any documents. Is it only for taking pics and uploading it?

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
DropBox is used to share files between different computers, phones and other devices as well as the dropbox website.
The N9 client supports up and download, how ever is not very intuitive usable.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
The N900 version is a python script, and is very usable. Can't that be ported to the N9 by some enterprising soul?

Are you sure its a python script?
AFAIK DropBox is closed source!

Sure it can be ported, but why?
The existing solution looks very promising (even some UI improvements should be done)
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ San Fran
you need to select the documents u need and add the dl queue then dl them, if you are having and error where you are getting a folder not created, just add the folders and it works perfectly.

I wonder if it would be hard to just have dropbox files appear in a folder similar to dropbox for mac (and probably linux though I haven't tried it)?

I guess mounting wouldn't be hard, but being able to generate public links would probably require some closed source tools.

Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
Are you sure its a python script?
AFAIK DropBox is closed source!

Sure it can be ported, but why?
The existing solution looks very promising (even some UI improvements should be done)
Nope, the N900 Dropbox client, called DropN900, is a Python based app and is totally open. In fact, the original developer abandoned it when he moved on to other devices, and since then users have been improving the script. Check it out!

I use it several times a day to sync all kinds of data between my N900 and my Mac and other machines. It's very easy - just create symlinks in the Dropbox folder to any files or folders (yes! folders!) you like on the N900, and do the same on your machines you want to keep in sync, start the DropN900 app, and press the sync button. (It will also, separately, keep your photos and videos in sync.) I don't believe you can sync in this way with the N9 DropBox app, it seems to have been designed with a different sort of use in mind. DropN900 doesn't have a very intuitive user interface, but once you've figured it out, it's extremely functional.

I wish the same existed for the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noetus View Post
I wish the same existed for the N9.
Nothing stops you from writing a QML GUI for it!
and more...

@noetus

that got me VERY interested.

is there any tutorial on how to use dropN900 properly? I have it installed for quite a few months but i have to admit i only used it a couple of times because..well..it seemed limited. From what you described it seems i can put it to good use as in, for example, to sync photos, mp3s with my desktop. :-)

How can i make a symlink to my video/photo/mp3 folder and let dropbox sync it?

Thanks. :-)

Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
Nothing stops you from writing a QML GUI for it!
Nothing but my lack of coding skills/knowledge!