Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I'd recommend following MNB much more regularly....
I've seen plenty of examples that demonstrate it's "bad", but waaaay more that demonstrate it's actually quite good overall.
And that's via a rabid Nokia community blog (actually quite neutral in some ways, & many great streams of input*).
iP5/5S are definitely one of the better smartphone cameras, just not in the same league as 808/1020...

*most importantly for this area of discussion, some profoundly knowledgeable folks when it comes to imaging
Question is if Jolla has a chance to compete in this area.

My guess is no, They probadly using some HW made for android with libhybris + camera androiddrivers. Means they will not have full access too even tweak the raw images is worst case :/

This is not too be rude at Jolla. But Jolla has around < 100 developers and we should ask ourself how many engineers is working on camera at samsung, iphone and Nokia? My guess is way more than Jolla has engineers woking with sailfishos.

Lets just hope they are allowed to buy some decent "camerapacket" from Nokia. (lets say Nokia N9 camera HW + drivers, alteast better than going some china android solution...)

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-09-22 at 12:11.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Question is if Jolla has a chance to compete in this area. [camera]
I'm ready to be disappointed here. I don't use the N9's camera too often, but when I do, it takes such nice pictures. I'll miss that. I guess I'll have to carry the SLR more often.

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
Would be nice if Nokia was so kind, now that Jolla is the only Finnish phone making company to let them use patents say for...everything. No, but seriously, Nokia could lend them a hand and let use couple of camera patents or at least everything Jolla guys developed at Nokia.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
+1 #3071 #3072 #3073

Yet more reason why they need to be top-notch hw-wise in at least 1x area beyond T.O.H...
We don't know all the specs yet, lets hope, if not, T.O.H better be a **** load more than a concept story.
And the entire stack better be as open as they've hinted (apart from the stuff they've suggested probably won't).

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-22 at 13:23.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
So what exact spec is it of the snapdragon.

is it 200 or 400?

any hint here of GFX maybe:

https://github.com/libhybris/libhybris

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by szymeczek34 View Post
Would be nice if Nokia was so kind, now that Jolla is the only Finnish phone making company to let them use patents say for...everything. No, but seriously, Nokia could lend them a hand and let use couple of camera patents or at least everything Jolla guys developed at Nokia.
But didn't Microsoft buy all those hardware patents along with the Nokia hardware division?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I feel sorry for Jolla. They should have left phone making business after Maemo and harmattan fiasco. They don't know how to compete.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
But didn't Microsoft buy all those hardware patents along with the Nokia hardware division?
MS bought no patents in the deal, none, nope, nada, null.

What they did buy was the non-exclusive license on select set of the patent portfolio, not by all means license to all the patents.
And non-exclusive here means that Nokia is free to license them to anybody else, for a fee or gratis, whatever.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
I feel sorry for Microsoft. They should have left tech business after Windows ME and Vista fiasco. They don't know how to compete.
/troll

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Brazil
Nokia and your Jolla:

Image posted today by Nokia Conversation on twitter

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla