Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
'feature request'?
I am not an app programmer

Never had (but not using that device for longer periods).
Give full string.
And meanwhile try to check periodically with htop for processes consuming mem and/or vmem until this message pops up.

--
@szopin
but you already applied above fix, or?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-06-30 at 20:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
'feature request'?
I am not an app programmer

Never had (but not using that device for longer periods).
Give full string.
And meanwhile try to check periodically with htop for processes consuming mem and/or vmem until this message pops up.

--
@szopin
but you already applied above fix, or?
Yeah, 'feature request' was a joke . Applied the fix, works as advertised, thanks! A++ would modify again. Since that other popup is similar thought would post in here, will add full string in a bit, any help much appreciated

I know it may be a side-topic, but considering expertise shown here, and if OP doesn't mind:

I have a different problem Cellular connection. The thing is, that I'm using a data-over-3G provider, that doesn't offer legacy cellular functionalities (voice, sms, etc), only packet transmission. Now, once, my son tried to send random SMS (few dozens, in fact) from that device, which, of course, failed.

Now, everytime I use that device and enable cellular, every 2 minutes or so a message about "failed to deliver sms to: <contact name>" appear. I tried deleting everything from conversations, to no avail. i can't find an "outgoing" category in Conversation, too, where I could delete messages waiting to be send (like we have in mail client), for a life of mine.

Of course I'm aware that inserting a "normal" SIM card and allowing those 60 or 70 messages to send themselves correctly could be a solution, but it's not something I would prefer to do

Thanks in advance for any tips on how to get rid of it,

Originally Posted by bla1 View Post
I know it may be a side-topic, but considering expertise shown here, and if OP doesn't mind:

I have a different problem Cellular connection. The thing is, that I'm using a data-over-3G provider, that doesn't offer legacy cellular functionalities (voice, sms, etc), only packet transmission. Now, once, my son tried to send random SMS (few dozens, in fact) from that device, which, of course, failed.

Now, everytime I use that device and enable cellular, every 2 minutes or so a message about "failed to deliver sms to: <contact name>" appear. I tried deleting everything from conversations, to no avail. i can't find an "outgoing" category in Conversation, too, where I could delete messages waiting to be send (like we have in mail client), for a life of mine.

Of course I'm aware that inserting a "normal" SIM card and allowing those 60 or 70 messages to send themselves correctly could be a solution, but it's not something I would prefer to do

Thanks in advance for any tips on how to get rid of it,
I'd try this:
http://213.128.137.28/showthread.php?p=1317820
if the file has your to be sent sms just rename it

Finally got the annoying popup (could not reproduce for 2.5h), literally:
Code:
Operation temporarily disabled due to low memory.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Thanks, but that file doesn't contain to-be-send messages.

Anyway, I've determined that nuking /home/user/.rtcom-messaging-ui/drafts.db fixes the problem (it gets recreated if any program needs it, so one can safely rm it).

If anyone ask me, the fact that there is no place to manage those "drafts" from UI is quite a bug/lacking feature (from Nokia side).

Cheers,

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bla1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@bla1
Fine, you 'solved' it on your own.
Good, as I had no idea. Just would have thought the same way as you to check /home/user/.rtcom...

@szopin
Did you check with top and/or htop about memory resources?
I could think of some process still running and trying to do something but failing and hereby -due to good/tested SW - leaking.
I will switch mine on too. But use it rarely.

--
So I need some 'assistance' on your side.
First above mentioned mem checks. -- also 'cat /proc/swaps' may reveal something
Does this pop up after some time or after some dedicated action? Any regularities?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-07-02 at 14:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
FWIW, I use my N900 extensively, mostly for anything but making phone calls And I cannot say I have ever seen szopin's "low memory" message. The closest I got to that was a few random reboots due to a high CPU usage. So I second peterleinchen's opinion about a leaky app or widget.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Leaky app it is, armagetron advanced, weird thought it would get killed on such occassion but it happily keeps on riding in the background. Problem is it is a hack on a hack on a tens of thousands lines of code (based on unfinished gl to gles port with glshim on top), so fixing it is not an option. n900-extra-translations has this msgid next to this message:

msgid "memr_ib_operation_disabled"

This also appears in relation to modest and hildon-home-private... hmm

seems nokia only stuff, same popup on n72 even

edit: found the string, it's in /opt/locale/en_US(GB)/LC_MESSAGES/ke-recv.mo for whatever it's worth

weird, ke-recv is supposedly responsible 'mostly' for mmc mounting, the device I'm using has no sd card, bit afraid to modify the .mo file (no laptop, reflashed with another n900 already, but setting everything back up...), will try with killing ke-recv first

Last edited by szopin; 2014-07-02 at 21:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@szopin, why are you trying to "fix" the symptoms instead of curing the disease? It sounds to me like, "I want to continue sticking my hand in the pot of boiling water, I just do not want it to hurt."

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
@szopin, why are you trying to "fix" the symptoms instead of curing the disease? It sounds to me like, "I want to continue sticking my hand in the pot of boiling water, I just do not want it to hurt."
Effort involved. Reverted swappolube settings and had 2h withotu the nagging popup yesterday, reviewing 10k lines of code (and hacks which I most likely won't even understand), not an option. Tweaking one line somewhere to disable all popups seemed like an easier option, with ke-recv, not so sure anymore

edit: just to make myself clear, I'm not expecting an easy anti-pain pill, it's just a game, awesome one, but still, restarting it is good enuf (with reverted swap settings got 'only' 200ish mb of swap used after 2h, still 500 to go, definitrly good enuf), thought there might be some gconf 'don't interrupt me no matter what' setting or quick sed command, alas, worst part is the leak might've been in the sources originally, so effort in debugging 0.2.6(?) when current version is 0.4 is double waste of time, in at most two weeks will have my 200fps and more than two thumbs playing at once back, nvm

Last edited by szopin; 2014-07-03 at 20:28.