Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Since the other thread is discussing the rumored n900 which in fact is a maemo phone, i wanted this thread specifically for a meamo 5 internet tablet as we know.

So what constitutes an internet tablet?

I think it should be something hardware wise similar to the 770/n800/n810 and should be running fremantle with at least the following features mentioned in the maemo 5 road map.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Maemo_roadmap/Fremantle

The addition of gsm for data only or voice may or may not be an addition. But the most important part is that the screen size greater than equal to 4.13"

So the question is do you think we will have one from nokia within the near future?

lol. The short answer is yes. The n900 was the rumored name for the next tablet since it fit with the naming patterns already in place. The NX-51 is the codename and so far we've discovered that it'll have some other wild name that has not yet been decided on. For all we know, it may be called the n830, or n850, or even the n5000. All we know is that it's coming. What it'll be called is anybody's guess.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
No, they will not. Skip all the other posts on that other thread, and read only those by Quim, Ragnar, and Peter. I wish it were otherwise, I think they're mistaken, but they are relentless in saying there's an insufficient market for such a device.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Insufficient market? Good lord, they had trouble keeping the n800 and n810 in stock, and you call that insufficient market!? Seriously, if that's what they call insufficient market, I'd hate to see what a sufficient one looks like. o_0

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
No, they will not. Skip all the other posts on that other thread, and read only those by Quim, Ragnar, and Peter. I wish it were otherwise, I think they're mistaken, but they are relentless in saying there's an insufficient market for such a device.
Do you think that is what is going to happen? Reading thier posts... i also felt the same thing. But the optimist in me is not letting me come to that conclusion.

So screen size >= 4.3" and all specs remaining same = Tablet
and screen size < 4.3" and all specs remaining same = Phone ?

Is this the new definition of Tablets ?

I though so far the debate was if it had only GSM data capabilities but no voice we would call it a tablet.
Of course Voice makes it a phone as well.
In that case what about the Nokia (rumoured) netbooks ? Maybe Nokia plans to integrate the tablet and netbook into some middle ground (with say a 6" screen) ...

Again this is all out wishes - I guess only time will tell - and Nokia of course.
At the moment Nokia is unwilling to speak.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
So screen size >= 4.3" and all specs remaining same = Tablet
and screen size < 4.3" and all specs remaining same = Phone ?

Is this the new definition of Tablets ?

I though so far the debate was if it had only GSM data capabilities but no voice we would call it a tablet.
Of course Voice makes it a phone as well.
In that case what about the Nokia (rumoured) netbooks ? Maybe Nokia plans to integrate the tablet and netbook into some middle ground (with say a 6" screen) ...

Again this is all out wishes - I guess only time will tell - and Nokia of course.
At the moment Nokia is unwilling to speak.
No this is not a universal definition. It is a definition for the internet tablets as we know them. A device with 3.5: screen, no D-pad and no stylus is definitely not a tablet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
I don' think Quim, Ragnar, and Peter said anything about there not being a future "tablet" device. They did say they would not talk about un-released products, which makes a lot of sense.

I'm surprised anyone expects them to layout what their roadmap is with potential release dates. Talk about showing your hand. The only reason Palm announced the Pre so early was to hold the market. Most people thought Palm already had a foot in the grave. They needed the "buzz".

The only thing I do agree with is the rx-51 could be the N97 killer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Archos is selling tablet-like devices of all sizes, so I think there is a market.

But lets see what we have:
  • Rumors of a somewhat disappointing 3.5" lead device
  • A Nokia official pointing to the Hildon Human Interface Guidelines
  • A mysterious RX-71
  • The term "Lead Device" (also: "flagship")

The fact that they talk about a lead device indicates that there'll be more than one device.
The "RX-71" could be anything from a coders joke to the real lead device and nothing is known, but it backs the claim that we'll see more hardware.

And then there's the HIG. May I quote:

You must always keep in mind not only the small size of screens where your application will be displayed but also how much they will vary. Do not assume your user's device will have the same size as the one you're using. Some devices may have a landscape orientated display others will have a portrait one, …
(emphasis added)

and:
Common Hard Keys

* Power Key […]
* Lock/Unlock Key […]
* Increase/Decrease Key […]

Optional Hard Keys

* Capture Key […]
* Keyboard […]
(emphasis added)

This could mean: "Hey, honestly, we change our minds constantly and we have no idea which device we'll build in 6 months time. So just don't count on anything."
It could also mean: "We have plans for a larger device."
It could, of course, be read as: "There'll be an even smaller variant without the keyboard and maybe without a good camera to get the darn thing closer to a size and weight people will accept as a phone. Honestly: 180 gramm???!!!"

Everythings possible. Certainly I wouldn't bet there'll be no tablet running Maemo5.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
I'm surprised anyone expects them to layout what their roadmap is with potential release dates.
I hope you're not reading such details into my suggestion. My idea of a high level roadmap doesn't even have to include release dates... just a general idea of what ground the company expects to cover and if possible some very loose timeframes.

And here's why I think that's key: the (mostly) open source nature of the OS. That factor alone pulls supporting products, maybe reluctantly, out of the typical shrouds of secrecy.

Nokia seems to want things two ways in that regard and that wil continue to be tough to manage. BUT-- that may well be moot once the OS reaches a truly mature state (see the post above mine). Stay tuned!