Originally Posted by jonarmani View Post
The N9 and (especially) N950 look delicious as hell. My only problem is that I use my N900 for:

-Easy Debian
---MitM attacks
---Web server
-Packet Injection
-Game emulators [GBA, NES]

And I love having full Debian [EasyDebian] and Debian-based [Maemo 5] installations, using apt-get, rooting, etc.

So my questions are:

1) Is MeeGo as "hackable" and open?
2) Can I obtain root?
3) Will we be able to do packet injection on the N9/N950 hardware?
4) Will we have access to the thousands of Linux/Maemo apps like on the N900?

I especially look forward to having a device with NFC hardware I can mess around with. ^_^
1. Not nearly as much as Fremantle on the N900.
2. Yes. Aegis is a small stepping stone.
3. N950, eventually possible. N9, no.
4. Yes. Simple cross compile.

Although I use one daily and am very anxious about where we will take the N950/N9, it will not replace your N900 as a truly mobile swiss army knife. I carry both when I can.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jonarmani View Post
The N9 and (especially) N950 look delicious as hell. My only problem is that I use my N900 for:

-Easy Debian
---MitM attacks
---Web server
-Packet Injection
-Game emulators [GBA, NES]

And I love having full Debian [EasyDebian] and Debian-based [Maemo 5] installations, using apt-get, rooting, etc.

So my questions are:

1) Is MeeGo as "hackable" and open?
2) Can I obtain root?
3) Will we be able to do packet injection on the N9/N950 hardware?
4) Will we have access to the thousands of Linux/Maemo apps like on the N900?

I especially look forward to having a device with NFC hardware I can mess around with. ^_^
1. Not nearly as much as Fremantle on the N900.
2. Yes. Aegis is a small stepping stone.
3. N950, eventually possible. N9, no.
4. Yes. Simple cross compile.

Although I use one daily and am very anxious about where we will take the N950/N9, it will not replace your N900 as a truly mobile swiss army knife. I carry both when I can.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Portland, OR
Man, that really stinks. I love my n900 mainly because I have full root, full Debian, and can crack WiFi networks.

hi,

i am really satisfied by N900 abilities because of the huge activity of maemo community.

i am noob in Linux but with the community i can achieve lot of features :
BT ssh connection
wep cracking key
gemRB emulation
N64 emulation
SNES emulation
etc...

my main question is to know if all this apllications will exist on Meego.
As we know lot of N900 users will go for Android knowing there is no future for Meego mobile device.

my second main question is why no flash support ??

how to do without flash support ???

so i don't know yet if ii will go for N9 or Android phone.

best regards

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ France
Hey, flash support does not exist in the default browser because they want to keep a simple "mobile phone" browser but flash is already available via Fennec.
And "a lot of N900 users will go for Android" because they think there is no future for MeeGo Handset that does mean there isn't!
Take a N9, at least you have a great device (like Jukka Eklund said on twitter)

Edit: Here is the link for flash support: http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.co...73851680035486

Last edited by baptx; 2011-08-15 at 22:16.

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Meego uses rpm and Harmatan uses deb? So we cannot install/use all those new apps created for the N9 (thanks to 250 developer kits) in out N900 running Meego? Somebody please clarify.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
Meego uses rpm and Harmatan uses deb? So we cannot install/use all those new apps created for the N9 (thanks to 250 developer kits) in out N900 running Meego? Somebody please clarify.
That is correct. They will at least need to be repackaged. Some applications will also use Harmattan-specific APIs (Transfer Manager, Share UI etc), so these will need some code changes also.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
thanks for clearing that up marxian! BTW, If i install MeegoCE now, is there a repository/app store that I can go for downloading apps? As far as I know, the only way is to download from their announce threads in Meego-forum?

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Regarding emulators and old games (specially RPGs and strategic ones) I would say that the N9 is a no choice. Without a hardware keyboard for emulators and a resistive stylus for old games they are almost unplayable.

At least, that's the case in other Android/iPhone devices I have tested.

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
thanks for clearing that up marxian! BTW, If i install MeegoCE now, is there a repository/app store that I can go for downloading apps? As far as I know, the only way is to download from their announce threads in Meego-forum?
No community repos are up yet but should be in a not so distant future.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post: