Hi, I just picked up a used Nokia 770 device today. This is my first tablet device, and I have a few basic questions. FYI, the device is runnins OS2006.

1. I know when going to websites with WMV or Flash videos, I cannot play the videos. I've read this online, refering to the default software. Is there a way around this? Like a 3rd-party app? I mean one that will play streaming WMV videos. Would using a different web browser help? I read a post that there's a beta FireFox browser that will work on the N770. The guy that sold me the N770 also had MPlayer installed... I don't know yet if that will play WMV files, but if so, is there a way to have it play streaming files?

2. I read that the N770 OS is based on Linux. I am TOTALLY unfamiliar with Linux (just Windows, sorry). My question is will pretty much ANY program (game, etc) written for Linux also work on the N770? Or does it have to be specifically written for this device? I'm mostly curious about some freeware games and apps. I'd also like some basic instructions on installing Linux programs I may download, if someone can point me in that direction, that would be great!

3. I'm running OS2006, and I read that there is an OS2007 hacked version that will run on the N770. What pros/cons are there for upgrading? Can I play flash or wmv files under OS2007? Is performance better or worse? (I'm primarily just web browsing, but would like to play online videos). If I decide to upgrade to OS2007, will I lose all my custom files, settings, etc?

Thanks in advance!
DaveNetMan

Last edited by DaveNetMan; 2008-02-02 at 12:13.

1. There is a program called UKTUBE that comes with the UKMP media player. It has support for some flash video sites. It uses MPlayer for the playback. I believe MPlayer will play some wmv-files, but it's not optimized for playing them, so they might play very slowly, especially on 770 which has a slow processor. But i think it's possible to just paste the url of the wmv-file into MPlayers address bar.

2. Some linux games can work on the tablet with just a recompile, but for them to work properly, they need to be ported to the device. There are plenty of games available and they are very easy to install, just like normal applications.

3. I don't recommend using Hacker at this stage. Try to get familiar with the device and maybe try it later. It has it's ups and downs.

I recommend you spend time reading this forum and use the search function a lot. It will help you. To install software/games, go to http://gronmayer.com/it and install repositories to your application manager. That way you have plenty of software to try out, all from the application manager. Good luck!

ps. Be sure to install the wlan bug fix to your device to make it more stable.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Thanks Ukki for your quick response! I'll be playing around with this today. Can you tell me where to find the wlan bug fix? I couldn't find it, sorry.

Thanks again!

Second sticky thread on 770 section so try to use the search, but here's a quick link:
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/cx3110x-h..._0.2_armel.deb

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post: