Could someone please point me to a step by step guide to using Maemo Mapper with OS2006 or 2007 for the complete linux illiterate. I have finally managed to get it installed but at a complete loss as to how to get the different maps, where to store them and how to use them offline. I have searched this forum but couldn't find an easy answer so apologies if it is already there and thanks in advance for any help.

From the menu, choose 'Help...', scroll to the bottom, and choose the 'Getting Started' link.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
From the menu, choose 'Help...', scroll to the bottom, and choose the 'Getting Started' link.
Thanks for the rapid reply. Already tried that but nothing comes up when I choose 'help'.

You have problems, then... Try going into help from the home screen then, go to contents, and see if you can find Maemo Mapper there. If not, you may have to re-install it, but MM has really great help (one of few programs that do), so you will want to do what it takes to get it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Noblesville, IN USA
Originally Posted by Aiadi View Post
Could someone please point me to a step by step guide to using Maemo Mapper with OS2006 or 2007 for the complete linux illiterate. I have finally managed to get it installed but at a complete loss as to how to get the different maps, where to store them and how to use them offline. I have searched this forum but couldn't find an easy answer so apologies if it is already there and thanks in advance for any help.
A while back I wrote a tutorial explaining how I got MM setup. I still think it is valid. At least check it out at:
http://www.datasink.com/n800/mmapper.html

rhackenb

The Following User Says Thank You to rhackenb For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Aiadi View Post
Thanks for the rapid reply. Already tried that but nothing comes up when I choose 'help'.
In which locale are you running? I've heard reports of the Help not loading under certain locales, but I don't know how to fix it.

I should try and generate an HTML version of the help file, which I can post online.

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
You have problems, then... Try going into help from the home screen then, go to contents, and see if you can find Maemo Mapper there. If not, you may have to re-install it, but MM has really great help (one of few programs that do), so you will want to do what it takes to get it.
No joy, I am afraid that help file is not there.

Originally Posted by rhackenb View Post
A while back I wrote a tutorial explaining how I got MM setup. I still think it is valid. At least check it out at:
http://www.datasink.com/n800/mmapper.html

rhackenb
Bookmarked and will definitely have a look. Many thanks.

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
In which locale are you running? I've heard reports of the Help not loading under certain locales, but I don't know how to fix it.

I should try and generate an HTML version of the help file, which I can post online.
I've installed it from this repository (hope it is the right one):
Web location: http://repository.maemo.org/contrib/
Distribution: 2.0
Components: free

and installed it into 'Extras'.

By the way, thanks for a great job John although I haven't used it yet but it seems from what I've read is that it is almost legendary.