Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
PR 1.2 Note: I had to change the font to get rid of the gigantic spacing the nokia pure font now has, I used a condensed font so it's a bit smaller horizontally too.

Okay I got some help rewriting the double buffering stuff using a pixmap, it introduced a bunch of problems and was not easy... but it's working perfect now.
I'll call the new version conky-n950 2.0 because this is a big change and we were at 1.98 anyways

http://www.appcheck.net/storage/conk....2-1_armel.deb

I recompiled all of the above using the harmattan scratchbox and "-mcpu=cortex-a8" compiler flag just in case it makes it a bit faster.
For some reason it won't install these unless you dpkg -i them from the terminal.

changelog:
conky (2.0.2-1) unstable; urgency=low

* got temperature working again by talking to bme directly
* added new variable ${battery_rate} to get charge/discharge rate

conky (2.0.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
* Added some power saving features, needs some testing to confirm this is working properly
- Because conky is written in c (not c++) it can't directly access the system heartbeat timer so it uses another process to do this for it
+ Conky will look for another app I wrote and modified for this purpose, Proximus (>= v1.2.4)
+ If proximus-daemon is running conky will ask it to set up a heartbeat timer and proximus will send a dbus signal back for each heartbeat
+ update_heartbeat_min and update_heartbeat_max from the conf file will specify the approximate time between heartbeats
+ If the phone is discharging, Conky will skip heartbeats according to the value of update_heartbeat_battery_skip in the conf file
+ So, if update_heartbeat_battery_skip is 3, conky will update once every 4 heartbeats when discharging. default is 1 so set to 0 to disable.
+ If the screen turns off, update_skips_when_sleeping overrides update_heartbeat_battery_skip. default is 5!

conky (2.0.0-1) unstable; urgency=low

* Supports double buffering without dbe (an extension nokia removed from x11 in harmattan):
- double buffers using pixmaps instead of dbe
+ spent a long time getting that working and fixing everything that broke when changing that
+ thanks to syrjala on meego.com forum for giving me a patch that got me started working on this
+ cairo / lua work, imlib2 works, and you need to install those 3 libraries also.
+ it doesn't actually crash when swiping to the background, it's nokia's idea that you meant to close it based on the physical orientation of the phone
+ .conf file needs some small fixes and i can't do anything about the i/o stats not working
+ i will add some more features soon

I'll leave the old instructions here, you DONT need to do anything below this point though. It's just interesting to see that it worked fine with dbe enabled and Nokia's idea to disable it and ignore requests to turn it back on was really a big waste of my time...

To get this working properly you need to flash the kernel to get rid of aegis and install a replacement xorg core package that enables x11 apps to use the double buffering extension. Nokia disabled this extension for no particular reason, and when I filed a bug asking them to turn it back on they basically said "sorry, too late".
Conky doesn't *need* double buffering, but if it doesn't have it then the screen redraws really slow. If you want it to refresh often and don't use a simple text .conf file (which I didn't include) you will want the double buffering.
Anyways, I won't encourage you guys to reflash your kernels if you don't know what you're doing. When it's done you get a warning screen every time you boot your phone, apparently no more warranty, and Nokia still hasn't bothered to fix the bugs in "open mode" so there's a bunch of stupid problems as of today like some https websites not working and all the built-in account logins not being saved properly. You can read about flashing an aegis free kernel here.

If you already flashed the kernel, rebooted, and verified open mode, this should be safe to install. I did and nothing bad happened yet. If you install that without flashing the kernel (it shouldn't let you but it might, don't try!) your phone will not work when you reboot and you will need to wipe the phone.
That package will only install properly with this long command:
AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN=com.nokia.maemo dpkg -i xserver-xorg-core_1.9.5-meego1211+0m6_armel.deb

Conky is safe to install no matter what, but it requires some other stuff installed first and is therefore a pain to install too
Here is a zip file that includes it and the dependencies. Just install all the debs from the command line with dpkg -i, conky last, and it should work.

Here's a screenshot... well actually I took with a camera so you can see how it looks on the n9 vs the n950. Notice the text is harder to read on the n9. Pentile = crap.

Here's a video showing double buffer vs single. The screen updates more often if you plug it in so you might want to adjust that in the .conf file... Sorry it's 32mb and a .mov file, my camera is dumb.
http://www.appcheck.net/storage/DSCF1811.MOV

Oh, and I'm still using the same repo, so the source is all here.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2012-07-16 at 00:41.

The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Its great to see Conky coming to Harmattan!
Can I ask why Aegis prevents Conky from working?

If I still install it with stock kernel, will I get locked out?
If so, please place a huge big fat warning!

I already had to reflash it several times due Aegis lock down (Usually i accidentally edited the wrong files...)

Its the first time I hear that the community was able to get rid of aegis. Once this is tested a bit more, I will give it a try.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Conky missing libxft2

hmmm i thought libxft2 is part of harmattan source, maybe you have to grab it from nokia's repo manually? try apt-get install libxft2, if that doesn't work grab from here: http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/pool/...a3/free/x/xft/

Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
Its great to see Conky coming to Harmattan!
Can I ask why Aegis prevents Conky from working?

If I still install it with stock kernel, will I get locked out?
If so, please place a huge big fat warning!

I already had to reflash it several times due Aegis lock down (Usually i accidentally edited the wrong files...)

Its the first time I hear that the community was able to get rid of aegis. Once this is tested a bit more, I will give it a try.
I thought I explained this so I'm taking my time to reply...
Aegis prevents you from messing with the files Nokia thinks are important, so when you try to replace the xorg core package (the link in the second paragraph above) it will see the files changed and your phone won't boot. That's not Conky directly causing the problem, but it's a requirement for making it refresh the screen without flickering. Someone *could* implement a different way of double buffering in Conky but I refuse to do so since it's not easy for me and I want to encourage Nokia to fix their own mistakes. Anyways, that second link is the only dangerous one, I buried it in a wall of text and I doubt dpkg is going to let you install that without open mode. So it's probably not even dangerous, but just to be safe, never try to install it until you flash the kernel and are sure you're in open mode after a reboot.

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
Aegis prevents you from messing with the files Nokia thinks are important, so when you try to replace the xorg core package (the link in the second paragraph above) it will see the files changed and your phone won't boot.
I have to disagree here (sorry)
Aegis does not prevent you from messing around with files, but it brevents you to start again afterwards, and even mroe, it prevents you from fixing your mistake.

Up to now I haven’t figured out a reason for the existence of this Aegis function except making developers and users angry.
I would accept if it does prevent you from modifying/replacing protected files, or restoring them at the next boot. IMHO it should replace modified files at boot, or at least give you the possibility to fix it.
As it is now, reflashing (and loosing all your data, if you do it with the one click flasher) is the only "great" solution Nokia figured out

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
That's not Conky directly causing the problem, but it's a requirement for making it refresh the screen without flickering. Someone *could* implement a different way of double buffering in Conky but I refuse to do so since it's not easy for me and I want to encourage Nokia to fix their own mistakes. Anyways, that second link is the only dangerous one, I buried it in a wall of text and I doubt dpkg is going to let you install that without open mode. So it's probably not even dangerous, but just to be safe, never try to install it until you flash the kernel and are sure you're in open mode after a reboot.
Does this mean I still can use Conky, without modified kernel but with flickering? That would IMHO be ok, at least for now.
(I am just sick to have to reflash all the time and I really miss backupmenu like on the N900 where I just could restore the previous backed up system).

Update:
I just installed it + 2 needed dependecies.
Beside the flickering, it seems to work fine, also after a reboot Aegis allowed me to continue beeing happy...

Attached a screenshot.

A suggestion:
The background is quite disturbing.
I personally would prefer a single color or a gradient since it makes it far easier for reading the data.
Despite of that, the background picture does not match the screen size (black border at top/bottom).
Attached Images

CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Last edited by caco3; 2012-01-06 at 18:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
yeah just delete the jpg file or modify the .conf to point to another, and I think I can't resize the jpg perfectly without stretching or cutting it off (more), so I didn't. It's just supposed to be an example anyways.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2012-01-06 at 19:37.

Okay, I'm bumping my thread because I just spent way too long making this work with pixmaps for the double buffering instead of the double buffering extension nokia disabled. Let me know if it works.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Thanks Creamy Goodness! Installed the three debs with dpkg and it is working fine. No previous installation on this N9, and there were no missing dependencies.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
cool. it might flicker a bit until you swipe away and back, it's a known issue