Notices

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Faster Application Manager tries to be what the name says, a fast-to-use graphical front-end for apt-get, written from scratch and optimized for the N900/Maemo5. It's WAY faster than the built-in manager, allowing multiple selections before time-consuming operations, etc, etc...

It can:
- Install, upgrade and remove packages (select multiple before performing operations!)
- Filter packages quickly by category or status
- Sort packages (by name, date or size), search packages, blacklist packages
- Get changelogs for packages from maemo.org
- Optionally handle ALL packages, not just user/ categories
- Manage repositories
- Works both in landscape and portrait mode

It can't:
- Integrate into the system's auto-update functionality or Ovi store

I haven't heard of anyone messing up their system with this, so I'd consider it "relatively safe" to use... All the standard warnings of extras-devel in general still apply, though.

http://maemo.org/packages/view/fapman/

NOTES:
- Make sure your network connection is online or your operations will fail
- A log file of the last operations is available at /root/.fapman/lastlog.txt (also accessible through the menu). See the log if you receive error messages.

You may also donate

Last edited by hqh; 2010-08-10 at 18:19.

The Following 230 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
*the_newbie*, aanckar, acvetkov, adhrie, adrianmilev, akashbhavsar, AkiL, alexff, aligatro, AlMehdi, Andy1210, antezz, anthonie, Aonsaithya, arjunkumar87, attila77, azad1top, azz, bachagabriel, backstabber8, Bec, beli, bennypr0fane, Berserk, bigears5000, Bingley Joe, BLC, BLIZZARD, bloQQroZZa, bman, bobbydoedoe, boudjere, bunanson, Bundyo, canuckkat, cardiff-blues, cheve, chill, Chrome, cjp, clasificado, clearorca, Cobra, codeMonkey, coreyoconnor, crazy_agent, Creamy Goodness, Crugath, Cue, CutterSlade, D4rKlar, daddeddad, daniel_m, datjomp, DDRFAN, Dead1nside, DrWilken, dscobsct, E.D.U., e5cape, egoshin, enceladus47, ersanpermana, Estel, etuoyo, Evilson, Exact, excelar8, F2thaK, FarmerF, fatalsaint, flydeep, fnordianslip, forteller, fotis9, frostbyte, GaRy delaMEr, gilesn, grog, Halftux, Helmuth, HtheB, iKneaDough, inkirby, ioan, ivanzorkic, ivnvir, ivyking, James_Littler, jcharpak, Jef91, jhwan, joppu, jorjino, Joseph9560, joshv06, juise-, kamil365, kevloral, kornolio, krk969, lardman, latindark, leetut, Lehto, leviathan3k, lkravovicz, logicalsid, lolloo, lostinmirkwood, Luigi Brosse, Lullen, m0da, m4dm3n, maemo.it, Maj3stic, maluka, manvik60, marble, MartinK, marxian, matts76, mayhem, mbo, mece, Megaltariak, melisa queen, Mentalist Traceur, Mike Fr, mikkov, MJ m, mobiledivide, moepda, MohammadAG, mpi, Mr. Incredible, mveplus, Natan_xy, ndi, neotalk, netAdept, Netweaver, nick.read, nkirk, NokiaRocks, oldnetdog, onioni, Optln, osama, ossipena, OVK, pantera1989, paranoiac, Patola, pelago, pisthpeeps, poka64, PUNK, pyromaniac, qole, Quasar, quingu, qwerty12, Radishface, sacal, sachin007, sakya, SallyJane, schaggo, scifi.guy, seba, Sevanteri, shallimus, shiny, sifo, silent tim, Sin, skalogre, Skaven2k2, slender, smoku, steph, stig6, stone17, stopgap, strange1712, Strutten, sunyakram, sutaburosu, suzuka, The Wizard of Huz, theonelaw, tHMZ, tho, ThomasAH, titi974, tnhh, ToJa92, torpedo48, totalizator, Tovalisa, Transcend, travik, trx, Tstone, uhbhatti88, un-named_user, v13, Veleno, vielfrass, vkv.raju, VladNistor, voracity, w00t, wimmme, wolf, xman, xomm, xuggs, Yann Benigot, yogi900, zem, Zentenario, zimon, zvogt
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
"fapman"... Kinda suspicious name, dont you think?
I'll try it out now

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
lol @ appname

but you're right, the app manager is very slow, even more on PR1.2..
gotta try this as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to altorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Tried upgrading two packages, got "Error Exit code 100, status 0"
Any ideas?

EDIT: Otherwise looks great, portrait mode supported, search could be better(should filter out entries IMO). It's extremely quick too! (As advertised)

Last edited by ToJa92; 2010-06-30 at 22:07.

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Tried upgrading two packages, got "Error Exit code 100, status 0"
Any ideas?
Make sure you are connected to network before starting the installation/upgrade. The app currently can't enable the connection by itself and will fail.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
this app uses rootsh? Fapman will not launch as I use rootsh 1.8 and rootsh is now disabled. So it fails to even launch into the app.

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
this app uses rootsh? Fapman will not launch as I use rootsh 1.8 and rootsh is now disabled. So it fails to even launch into the app.
Yeah, rootsh is used to launch from the .desktop file as root. Version 1.5 works, but I guess I'll have to find an alternative method then.

You can alternatively start the application from the terminal with
Code:
sudo gainroot
run-standalone.sh /usr/bin/fapman

Last edited by hqh; 2010-06-30 at 22:24.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
How is this used? I am trying to run from the newly installed icon but a message about rootsh comes up and it closes...
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following User Says Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
is there any way we could natively use this as an ovi store activated App Manager?

The Following User Says Thank You to altorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
Yeah, rootsh is used to launch from the .desktop file as root. Version 1.5 works, but I guess I'll have to find an alternative method then.

You can alternatively start the application from the terminal with
Code:
sudo gainroot
run-standalone.sh /usr/bin/fapman
fapman, eh? Coding late at night? ;p *runs*

Drop a file in /etc/sudoers.d and run update-sudoers in the postinst. Run it in the postrm, too, if you feel the need.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post: