Notices

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Fremont, CA
Originally Posted by epage View Post
This is a general call out. DIalcentral has been experiencing issues with using GIzmo for a while. I implemented an idea I had to fix it in The One Ring. Could someone who has seen Gizmo not work in Dialcentral confirm it works in The One Ring?
Hi,
I'm using 0.7.0-4 and DialCentral shows code 20 error on my N900.
The One Ring sometimes works.

After "Call disconnected" message is displayed, my SIP number is called and then the peer's phone rings. But sometimes after showing the message, the phone apps just goes back dialling pad GUI.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by kimitake View Post
Hi,
I'm using 0.7.0-4 and DialCentral shows code 20 error on my N900.
The One Ring sometimes works.

After "Call disconnected" message is displayed, my SIP number is called and then the peer's phone rings. But sometimes after showing the message, the phone apps just goes back dialling pad GUI.
Would you mind sending me a part of the log that contains a failed callback?

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
On N900:

I'm light on calls and texting. On wifi 90% of the time. I do however play with it throughout the day including ssh and ftp file transfers via wifi. Nokia messaging for a couple accounts, omw widget. Browsing throughout the evening, possibly some ebook reading or games. And of course TOR.

I generally take it off the charger around 6am and don't put it back on until around 10 or later. TOR hasn't impacted my habits at all.

I guess I don't use it enough Have to change that.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by epage View Post
How much do you think it was before? Do you consider it a significant enough of a drop that I should find some battery savings before releasing this to a wider audience?
I think releasing to a wider audience is worth it, but you'd hear a ton of whining because the of the lack of Contacts support.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
Just to let you I try this without pr1.1 and it didn't work now it is. I had to uninstall this program. reboot reinstall and reboot again because after installing pr1.1 every time I try to set up the account it was frozing.

thks a lot epage for you excellent work!!!

Originally Posted by JD2010 View Post
Just to let you I try this without pr1.1 and it didn't work now it is. I had to uninstall this program. reboot reinstall and reboot again because after installing pr1.1 every time I try to set up the account it was frozing.

thks a lot epage for you excellent work!!!
Ick, sounds nasty. I'm glad its working now. Well, I've already updated the first post saying it only has been tested with PR1.1.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
I think releasing to a wider audience is worth it, but you'd hear a ton of whining because the of the lack of Contacts support.
Much like I already do

Seriously though its annoying me to. I've actually been texting more on my n810 (or that shows how little I text since I leave my n810 at home).

Probably what is annoying me more is that I can't figure out why it isn't working. I bet the reason GV contacts, system contacts, and presence all don't work is related. I say this because they are all configured in one file. What I'm doing wrong beyond that baffles me.

I do know of one hard blocker, the link to the bug tracker is wrong (because I made up the link since I didn't have one before). This is fixed in 0.7.1 which I'm prepping.

Of course this is all referring to Maemo 5 specifically. I guess if all the complaints are for Maemo 5, I could go ahead and push it out to Maemo 4.1's extras.

Maemo 5 on N900 :

I tried The One Ring to call my family - and it worked - though was a bit confusing at first.

Phone Part :
From phone app initiated dialer, seleced the Google Voice account and entered number as 7 digit code - it failed with error.

Had to add a 1 before it - 1+Area code+number
The call went thu to the contact in addressbook and a sec later got Disconnected.

Then my phone starts ringing. On receiving the call (number shown as my google voice number) I get connected to the caller and it works fine.

The first time - the disconnected message was confusing sonce I thought it didnt work - but actually the call goes thru correctly.

SMS Part :

On Conversations app - "New IM" doesnt list any contacts with regular phone numbers whom I can send an SMS too - only shows online contacts.

Instead I used the conversations munu at the top -> "send IM to" and then selected the Google voice account of mine and entered the phone number to send SMS to ...

Had to paste the phone number from the contact app as I cant pick a contact from the contacts app in this screen.

The SMS part worked fine in this way - in fact am corresponding to my sister in India (they have free SMS and I got free SMS thanks to Google Voice)

In spite of the workarounds a bit - its a great app - nicely integrated into the N900 communication protocols.

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Maemo 5 on N900 :

I tried The One Ring to call my family - and it worked - though was a bit confusing at first.

Phone Part :
From phone app initiated dialer, seleced the Google Voice account and entered number as 7 digit code - it failed with error.

Had to add a 1 before it - 1+Area code+number
The call went thu to the contact in addressbook and a sec later got Disconnected.

Then my phone starts ringing. On receiving the call (number shown as my google voice number) I get connected to the caller and it works fine.

The first time - the disconnected message was confusing sonce I thought it didnt work - but actually the call goes thru correctly.

SMS Part :

On Conversations app - "New IM" doesnt list any contacts with regular phone numbers whom I can send an SMS too - only shows online contacts.

Instead I used the conversations munu at the top -> "send IM to" and then selected the Google voice account of mine and entered the phone number to send SMS to ...

Had to paste the phone number from the contact app as I cant pick a contact from the contacts app in this screen.

The SMS part worked fine in this way - in fact am corresponding to my sister in India (they have free SMS and I got free SMS thanks to Google Voice)

In spite of the workarounds a bit - its a great app - nicely integrated into the N900 communication protocols.
I'm glad to hear its working out and how you adjusted to the bumps.

I find it interesting that on Google's new GV mobile page they make you call a number which than gets forward rather than them calling you. This could be a major confusion reducer but sometimes its easier to get free callbacks than callouts. Also callbacks fit better within the framework.

Would it be worthwhile to auto-prepend the area code to numbers? If so, what area code would I use? The callback or account number's area code?

Contacts support is a much desired feature that I hope will eventually appear.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
epage

I think I'd leave the area code alone. As long as I can remeber I've had to dial an area code on my cell. So all my contacts have area codes.

Perhaps a check and prepend the "1" if missing. Or better yet a user option to prepend any number(s) the user wants. That way the user can select to add a "1" if needed or evena 1+area code if desired. Perhaps a check and if the number is less than 11 digits prepend the field.?

Hope that made sense.

And if I wasn't clear in my prevois post, I notice little to no impact on battery life.

Tags
google voice, maemo 4, maemo 5