Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hiya.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but here we go. I happened to come cross with an app (Android Notifier) for Android & Mac/Windows/Linux, that let's users to see their push on their computer. However, I can't seem to find an equivalent one for Maemo (5) and am thus asking, would it be possible to make one for it?

I for one don't have any kind of skills to code, otherwise I'd be taking action and do this. What I think is good base for this project is the OpenWatch from repositories, since it seems to use push for the clock but not for the computer. Would it be possible to modify it so, that it would push the.. eh, push to the computer instead?

Thanks in advance (hopefully I followed the rules of the forum by posting this thread in here, since I couldn't really consider this as an Brainstorm).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I saw android notifier today and instantly thought we need this, I think this would be awesome. Something as simple as letting the dbus tweet would be acceptable

I was actually going to begin writing a script to do this. It'll probably be crap though so does anyone else want to do it instead?

Ok, I can send a message over ssh using notify-send but I have no knowledge of Dbus and can't figure out how to listen to notifications and then send over what's displayed. Still reading about it.

Any help?

Last edited by Reffyyyy; 2010-09-09 at 05:59.

Something like this should work with the desktop part of android notify over wifi:

dbus-monitor --system "type='signal', interface='com.nokia.csd.Call', member='Coming'"
| sed -n 's_.*serial=\([0-9]*\).*_v2/n900/\1/RING/foo/foo_p' | nc -u 127.0.0.1 10600

dbus monitor outputs the dbus signals, sed turns it into something approximating the android notifier message format and then netcat sends it over udp to some host. Except piping data into netcat isn't working, which I am blaming on busybox.

Other problems: dbus monitor outputs stuff not in the watch expression at the start, profile output doesn't work with pipes, and netcat is not in extras

A python script is probably the best option, using the info on wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/Maemo_5_Developer_Guide/DBus/DBus_in_Freemantle

The Following User Says Thank You to CormacB For This Useful Post:
Unfortunately, I have a load of work to do and am generally going to be extremely busy so I'm either going to be working slowly on this or possibly not at all.

Dependant on how much time I can get. Sorry guys.

I know this is a bit further on than what you are suggesting, but it would be great to be able to answer the call on your computer too and have the voices rerouted from your phone to the computer. Similarly being able to reply to an SMS would be cool.

Then I can leave my n900 upstairs charging and be working on my laptop and all my calls/SMS will come to me wherever I am in the house

Maybe it can be semi-achieved with VNC., I'm not sure what happens with sound...

http://jqueryinreallife.blogspot.com - Comedy jQuery blog

The Following User Says Thank You to benh_n900 For This Useful Post:
That would be possible with PulseAudio (though that means it only works with Linux computers). But I think the PulseAudio support in the N900 isn't a full implementation.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

So, is anyone working on this? I would sooo love to see this happen! I'd be happy to do my part to help. I'm no coder, but I'm pretty good at testing and bug reporting, if that would be of any help.

This will show incoming calls in MythTV:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=51453