Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
(1) First disclaimer, that people should never use Phoenix, since it doesn't give you any advantage over flasher binary when flashing the device. But having said that there is a menu in Phoenix for reading manufactoring etc data.

(2)
10.* = PR1.0
11.* = PR1.0.1
20.* = PR1.1
30.* = PR1.2
40.* = PR1.3
50.* = PR1.4

(3)
There are flashers avail for OSX, Windows and Linux.

And yes 13-7 week is the latest eMMC images.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2013-06-14 at 06:57.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Is it necessary to keep the stock Facebook/Twitter clients installed if one wants to use 3rd-party clients?
I've got some updates coming in for the Facebook & Twitter clients, but I think I'll just uninstall them.

I'm definitely going to have to dismantle my N9 & re-seat the glass overlay/display, the entire left hand side is really rough/annoying
I may as well replace the entire enclosure while I'm at it, so maybe I'll order a white enclosure...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-06-14 at 07:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
(2)
10.* = PR1.0
11.* = PR1.0.1
20.* = PR1.1
30.* = PR1.2
40.* = PR1.3
50.* = PR1.4
I don't think I ever seen the 11.* but I do remember 22.* which was the PR1.1 for Middle East.

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
50.* = PR1.4
Wait, so there's a PR1.4 out there? Does Nokia ever plan on releasing it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Janitor X For This Useful Post:
he was being hypothetical...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Is it necessary to keep the stock Facebook/Twitter clients installed if one wants to use 3rd-party clients?
I've got some updates coming in for the Facebook & Twitter clients, but I think I'll just uninstall them.
Problem is that you can't uninstall them due to dependencies to some core packages. Or maybe you can, but I suppose the integration is so heavy that many things wouldn't work afterwards.

What you can do is...
Code:
 # echo "NotShowIn=X-MeeGo;" >> /usr/share/applications/facebookqml.desktop
# echo "NotShowIn=X-MeeGo;"  >> /usr/share/applications/twitter-qml.desktop
...to remove their icons from the applications view.

If you want to add your XMPP account to the integrated messenger:
Code:
$ mc-tool add gabble/jabber xmpp string:account=[name]@[domain]  string:password=[password]
(adds new account)

$ mc-tool list
(lists possible accounts)

$ mc-tool enable gabble/jabber/[your_account]
XMPP thru empathy works fine with all features of other integrated IM's. With GTalk Voice/Video plugin you can also get XMPP voice and video call support (it uses the same protocols afterall), but that's flaky to say at least.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ladoga View Post
Problem is that you can't uninstall them due to dependencies to some core packages.
Or maybe you can, but I suppose the integration is so heavy that many things wouldn't work afterwards.
You can the option's there in the UI, but as you say, there may be dependency issues.
You say "suppose", are you purely guessing that there'd be issues, or does you assertion have a basis in fact/knowledge?
At the moment you're being quite vague, I don't suppose you can elaborate?

...to remove their icons from the applications view.
Is it possible to stop them from being listed in the "installed applications" list too?

XMPP thru empathy works fine with all features of other integrated IM's.
With GTalk Voice/Video plugin you can also get XMPP voice and video call support (it uses the same protocols afterall), but that's flaky to say at least.
Perhaps my memory's failing me again, but I thought there was already at least some XMPP support OOTB?
[Apologies for the double-up of posts, slow edits, & other such weirdness lately, damn internet connectivity issue has reared it's ugly head again]

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-06-15 at 12:00.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
You can the option's there in the UI, but as you say, there may be dependency issues.
You say "suppose", are you purely guessing that there'd be issues, or does you assertion have a basis in fact/knowledge?
You want to know what packages are depending on facebook stuff? Ask it to the system!
At least on my N9 with PR1.3 (with some non-default packages like evernote-sharing) this is the result:
Code:
# dpkg --list|grep facebook|awk '{print $2}' | xargs apt-cache rdepends

libqt-facebook
Reverse Depends:
  facebook-meego
  facebookqml
  facebook-meego
  facebookqml
  facebookqml
  facebook-meego
facebook
Reverse Depends:
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
facebook-meego
Reverse Depends:
  facebookqml
  facebookqml
  facebookqml
l10n-app-facebook
Reverse Depends:
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
facebookqml
Reverse Depends:
  facebook
  facebook
l10n-app-facebookshare
Reverse Depends:
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
account-plugin-facebook
Reverse Depends:
  facebook-meego
  contacts
  facebookqml
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
  webupload-service-facebook
  contactsd
  facebook-meego
  facebookqml
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
  facebookqml
  contacts
  facebook-meego
  contactsd
signon-facebookplugin
Reverse Depends:
  evernote-sharing
  si-helper
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
  libqt-facebook
  account-plugin-facebook
  evernote-sharing
  libqt-facebook
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
  libqt-facebook
  si-helper
  account-plugin-facebook
Reverse Depends:
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
Sorry for the compact notation in the output, but anyhow you have first the facebook-related package to be queried, the 'Reverse Depends:' line and then slightly indented all the packages that are depending on that facebook-package. Then it repeats for next package.

The shortlist of dependencies, nicely sorted is:
Code:
  account-plugin-facebook
  contacts
  contactsd
  evernote-sharing
  facebook
  facebook-meego
  facebookqml
  libqt-facebook
  mp-harmattan-001-pr
  si-helper
So mainly you have Contacts tools that depends on FB, the webupload service and then of course the metapackage mp-harmattan to bolt it down.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the thorough investigation....
So indeed it seems that some important stuff won't work properly if FB is removed, I guess the same would be true for Twitter, kinda blows.
That just leaves my 2 remaining Qns in my last post...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-06-16 at 07:25.

Thanks for the thorough investigation....
So indeed it seems that some important stuff won't work properly if FB is removed, I guess the same would be true for Twitter, kinda blows.
That just leaves my 2 remaining Qns in my last post...
To answer your two remaining questions:
  1. With regard to removing applications from the listing in "Manage applications" screen in the UI: No, not really. That listing comes from apt. So, while the apps should remain to support other dependencies, you should also keep them in the database. If they are removed from the database, the according to apt it's the same as uninstalling them, and the dependencies will show up as unmet. (I'm only 97% certain on this point, so if someone wants to counter with something more concrete, I certainly won't take offense.)
  2. As far as the second point of OOTB XMPP support: yes, it exists. However, it is not displayed in the UI. Therefore, the previous commands shown will work and install the account for use. But, while looking at the commands, you may want to make sure your DNS SRV records for XMPP are in order, as it looks as though that's where it's going to pull the server/port information from.
Of course, if anyone else wants to expand upon these, or point out any inaccuracies, I have no qualms. ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to rpcameron For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n9