Active Topics

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/14/c...ng-windows-ce/

Should be running Maemo though of course.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
Originally Posted by anderbr View Post
Should be running Maemo though of course.
That fact would count me out!

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Wimer, Oregon
Besides the slide-out keyboard, what benefit to do you see in this device over what the N800 has? (And personally I prefer the choice of not having a hardware keyboard in the N800, but I can understand why not everyone might feel this way.)

By the time that devices hits the street, Nokia certainly could have an N900 out anyway...

There are HUGE benefits from my perspective. The pictured device with Win CE can do anything my laptop can do because there is available software. Moreover, an average user (like me) can actually understand how to use a WIN CE device. I think the pictured device looks fabulous and would buy it tomorrow if it were real.

A real keyboard would be nice. The big keys one the nokia has is a halfway decent trade off though. My other handheld is a zaurus, and having the keyboard really works well for imputing things like user name and passwords on websites.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Minnesota
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
There are HUGE benefits from my perspective. The pictured device with Win CE can do anything my laptop can do because there is available software. Moreover, an average user (like me) can actually understand how to use a WIN CE device. I think the pictured device looks fabulous and would buy it tomorrow if it were real.
I'm pretty much an average user. Computers are simply tools to me; there is no Zen and the Art love between us, just sort of a lasting truce. I can find my way around flavors of Windows and OS X enough to telecommute, run an iPod, keep my home network locked down. I don't code and sometimes I have to reread technical docs.

Having no prior Linux experience, I now surf, read ebooks and pdfs, watch movies and stream music on my N800. Effortlessly. It's not brain surgery. It's the same learning curve as with any tech: try try try oh I see.

This great little devive has required no more than 60-90 minutes of learning time, and that mainly to find and install certain packages. It's imperfect--what isn't? But surely it isn't mystifying in some fatal way that could be cured by a Microsoft UI.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Well said Zhe.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

The Following User Says Thank You to =DC= For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Looks like it has a semi-decent d-pad. That's something Nokia should mimic.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I don't see the advantage of that keyboard against a bluetooth one.
With a BT keyboard you have these advantages:
1) you can choose not to carry it
2) you can have the n800/770 standing STILL and not laid down as with these devices with a built-in keyboard
3) you can use the BT keyboard with other devices you might have
4) if it breaks you can change it

Can some one of you list me advantages of a built-in keyboard against the BT one ?

Edit: the only one I can think of is (and is a good one):

1) you can use the built-in keyboard while on the move

but I think the full screen keyboard of the Tablet helps here.

To be devils advocate
1) ... you have to remember to carry it.
2) ... you can use it without a desk/stand.
3) ... its not specific to your device and hence may not have tailored keys/functionality.
4) ... Its one less thing to buy