Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Vanilla PR1.3 can be flashed on top of a branded PR1.3. That's been proven over and over again. For instance my N9 from Dubai was flashed with Northern Europe PR1.3 (considered vanilla) from PR1.2.1, then reflashed with PR1.3 from Dubai when it finally came out. Not a problem.

You have a point, downgrading isn't possible it seems - I may be wrong. But if you're talking about going from branded (like Telcel) to vanilla, that's very doable as long as they're either an upgrade or sidegrade (same to same).

But if you're talking about a branded PR1.3 to PR1.2, not possible from what little I know/have seen.

But why would you want what you're asking? "Just because" or "I can do it on the Lumia 800" isn't really a good answer. Both are minor players as compared to other mainstream phones and the ability to do such a minor thing - convenient or not - is really like splitting hairs. Nice if you can do it, but can your Lumia 800 be upgraded to WP8? Can it be unbranded, unlocked and then have USB OTG or mass storage enabled?

In the end, your point doesn't matter. Both phones/platforms will invariably be forgotten to the average customer by January 2013.
The particular mechanism for flashing regarding version numbering is 100% defined in that link. Let's not discuss the validity of that. That link is valid and it's just the way it is. If you know of a way to somehow "fool that system", then please say so, otherwise STFU

My point does matter. If I want to sell my phone, a vanilla unbranded phone is much easier to sell than a branded one with chinese characters (in the western society). You have unbranded vanilla = high price. Exotic branded = low price/impossible to sell. and of course anything in between. But it does indeed matter.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
How is what I said disregarding what you consider valid? I mean... let's be frank here. I did what I said I did, and it worked. Didn't brick the phone. Didn't cause any issues. So what's your point there?

And pertaining your point, let's answer the question you're not willing to answer aloud. Can you upgrade to WP8?

You cannot. So flashing the Lumia 800/900 in a "meaningful manner" means what exactly?

You can flash a vanilla PR1.3 onto a N9. I have no branding whatsoever on my phone. Zero. So your point isn't quite holding up. And I've taken Mexican Telcel N9's when I was helping source them for members and went from PR1.2 to PR1.3 unbranded without incident.

Look at this forum, other folks have done the exact same thing.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And I've taken Mexican Telcel N9's when I was helping source them for members and went from PR1.2 to PR1.3 unbranded without incident.

Look at this forum, other folks have done the exact same thing.
There you go again. I KNOW going from any version 1.2 to any version 1.3 is a "valid" flash. It is written out in all it's glory in that link and quoted by me. THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

With my Lumia I can flash any goddam ROM I want. That is the difference. And NO, I cannot flash WP8 into my Lumia 800, Ican't flash JellyBean either or iOS. Can you flash Harmattan Pr1.3 into your N900? It's a pointless discussion. But I can purchase a Lumia 620, 820, 920 or anything in between and they all run WP8. In fact I just have Besides, in January WP7.8 is coming. What is coming for the N9? LOL

But if you think the flashing mechanics for the N9 is just fine, good for you I don't, bad for me

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ever thought that communication was not your strong point? No need for huge letters.

Thanks for finally answering my question. Guess we have different understandings for the term "meaningful". You can't flash WP8, so that contradicts your "I can flash any g**d*** ROM I want"... because you can't. That's a limitation.

Same for going from PR1.3 to PR1.2. It's a limitation, not one that I'd consider an issue for me personally (no need for it yet) but as it stands, it's a limitation nonetheless.

Oh well. I never said it's just fine as it stands. But your issue is a rather minor one. And yes... we do agree. It's pointless.

I don't have a N900, btw. But last I checked, they had PR1.3.1 (security update) for Maemo5. And the N9, there's PR1.3 for MeeGo Harmattan. And if you wanted the newer version of the OS while still on the N900, you'd have to buy the (now a dead-end product) N9.

Just like if you wanted WP8, you'd have to buy a new phone - your list above was adequate. Enjoy the superficial update to 7.8. I'll probably be on to BB10 by then.

And knowing is half the battle...

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I wish I could go to PR1.2 because ovi (unlike WP) allows PR1.2 phones and the reps fail my app because it doesn't start on an os I can't possibly have and check on.

So flashing to an older version on the N9 is indeed a valid request while I cannot see why this is needed on WP (as older versions are banned by the market). So in my book, as always Nokia has the right features on the wrong phone.

Apart from that, "debranding" in the N9 terminology just means to get rid of the lpm telco icon and uninstall the bloatware. You can even change the repositories to those of vanilla. You can even change the repositories to those of the N950 if you want. So if you want to sell it you can just do that.

(On a sidenote WP7.8 is exactly what PR1.3 was for M5 and harmattan. A last hurray. And around the same time after launch too)

The only phones treated right by Nokia were the first S^3 devices, who got Anna and then Belle, and now Belle refresh. They are the only phones ever produced by nokia to get a full os version upgrade. (The N800 was the only tablet to get a full os version upgrade).

Even the 5800 which still got updates 3 years after release, and got significantly polished throughout the years, was stuck to S^1 forever. Older phones never even got an FP upgrade.

On the other hand, other companies have moved on to provide the latest software for their devices for at least 2 years after release. So where Nokia was ahead now they are miles behind. As always. They showed the road but lacked the courage to follow it.

This brings me back to the original topic: They invented the space of tablets, they just needed to keep on, beef them up and increase size. They flirted with the big screen dual phone/tablet thing (N810 with phone). Would be huge for the time, an early Note. But would it be successful? With the right marketing, I bet. They redefined the smartphone with the N900. They really did. It wasn't an iPhone killer but as things came out to be, the world didn't need an iPhone killer, it needed an android. And maemo 5 was miles ahead of android in 2009. Instead of going forward that way, they decided to start from scratch. Twice.

With the abundance of apps ready to port, and the multitude of programming languages + toolkits available for maemo 5, they could have easily had more apps than android, if they flooded the market with Nxx0's. N920 without keyboard 6 months later, N960 another 6 months, N820 as a mid-range phone.

Not to mention other wasted opportunities like the mosh app-store long before the iphone, the n-gage console+platform long before xperia play and psvita. The smartphone before smartphones...

Many could've's and would've's. But that's nostalgia all about, isn't it.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Tags
maemo, nostalgia