Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Hi all first post for me venting my sadness and anger at nokia. Had phone 3 months, love it like it was my offspring. inevitably the charging became errartic to the point of no charge at all. Quick visit to carphone warehouse, 2 weeks later, repaired phone...wahoooo i thought, 30 secs of charging and transferring my backup resulted in no orange charging light.....tried 3 chargers, usb then car charger...the whole socket came out of the phone...so during repair they managed to weaken this part even more...i rely on this phone so much for many things, am gutted....so another visit to carphone today.. but i ask u all, what do nokia do with a detached socket? another botched repair or a new phone? wife has same socket on her blackberry, no problems for her.

I read guys talk about batch number, does this make a difference? what are the bad 1s, how do i check?

thx in advance

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by scouse_paul View Post
Hi all first post for me venting my sadness and anger at nokia. Had phone 3 months, love it like it was my offspring. inevitably the charging became errartic to the point of no charge at all. Quick visit to carphone warehouse, 2 weeks later, repaired phone...wahoooo i thought, 30 secs of charging and transferring my backup resulted in no orange charging light.....tried 3 chargers, usb then car charger...the whole socket came out of the phone...so during repair they managed to weaken this part even more...i rely on this phone so much for many things, am gutted....so another visit to carphone today.. but i ask u all, what do nokia do with a detached socket? another botched repair or a new phone? wife has same socket on her blackberry, no problems for her.

I read guys talk about batch number, does this make a difference? what are the bad 1s, how do i check?

thx in advance
If the socket's detached then it'll be either a new system board or (more likely) a replacement (probably reconditioned/repaired, not new) phone.

I don't think anyone's pinned down what batch numbers are faulty (or even if it's limited to certain batches).

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
If the socket's detached then it'll be either a new system board or (more likely) a replacement (probably reconditioned/repaired, not new) phone.

I don't think anyone's pinned down what batch numbers are faulty (or even if it's limited to certain batches).
I was curious about that myself. Also curious to know if I will get an unlocked version or how do I ensure I do. That is a must have because of my travels.

Originally Posted by thesh0rty View Post
I was curious about that myself. Also curious to know if I will get an unlocked version or how do I ensure I do. That is a must have because of my travels.
I'm not aware of any locked versions at all. There's a button in the control panel for entering the operator lock code, but I've not heard of anyone who's actually had a locked phone.

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
So I called them up and they said that they'll repair it, but I didn't understand if they will cover it under warranty. Also I didn't seem to need to fight with them like some people said they did. Was it too easy or is this standard?

Well add my name to the list. It only charges in certain positions. Have a 1 year guarantee so lets see how it goes.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I have a dialog going with Nokia over unresolved Care issues for detached N900 microUSB ports. For those who either encountered unreasonable difficulty getting proper service, or had no success at all, please provide the following:

- mode of failure
- country of purchase
- months of use
- did you file off male connector prongs?
- Care center(s) involved
- details of Care experience (include if satisfaction survey was sent to you, etc)

Please limit responses to objective descriptions to make reporting easier.

Thank you! I will report back any progress.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-08-19 at 16:47.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
USB port loose and not charging
New Zealand
Contacted the shop I got it from, and they said that Nokia say it's user error.
Nokia Care NZ
People were nice enough but said they wouldn't be able to get the part into the country, which is sort of weird because the part should be the same as all their other microusb connectors used in 5800s etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harp For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Sorry this is way OT...
But how the frack does one edit their thread subscriptions in this forum between: no email, instant, daily, weekly, & delete?

The "view subscriptions" section has no way to select individual threads so that you can do this!
http://talk.maemo.org/subscription.p...ewsubscription
Grrr, so annoying.....

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Sorry this is way OT...
But how the frack does one edit their thread subscriptions in this forum between: no email, instant, daily, weekly, & delete?

The "view subscriptions" section has no way to select individual threads so that you can do this!
http://talk.maemo.org/subscription.p...ewsubscription
Grrr, so annoying.....
On the left of that page is a link to "Edit Forum Subscriptions".

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty