Notices

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who could give a detailed explanation on how to use X terminal to install Debian files since I am quite new to all of this and all the explanation i have seen are not for novice users like me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to medi37 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by medi37 View Post
I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who could give a detailed explanation on how to use X terminal to install Debian files since I am quite new to all of this and all the explanation i have seen are not for novice users like me.
sudo dpkg -i foo.deb

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Thread moved to more appropriate location. Please note that Brainstorm is not for help, but rather, for discovering and discussion new ideas and solutions.

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
0.) You should be aware that installing random .deb files is a good way to end up having to reflash. Say to yourself, out loud, "I'm ok losing all the data on my N900 when this goes wrong."
1.) Download the .deb file you want to install from maemo.org. .deb files for Debian or Ubuntu will almost certainly not work the way you want them to, unless the program is very simple with few or no dependencies.
3.) Put the .deb file on your device at the same level as the "Audio Clips" and "Documents" folders.
4.) Go to Application Manager, install rootsh.
5.) Open X Terminal, type:
Code:
root
Code:
dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/foo.deb
(where "foo" is the name of your .deb file. Remember that the Linux terminal is case sensitive. If there are spaces in the filename you must put a \ before the space. (dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/my\ deb\ file\ with\ spaces.deb)

-John

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London UK
doesnt work for me, i get this error instead even the folder and file does exist

/home/user # dpkg -i MyDocs/documents/redalert.deb
dpkg: error processing MyDocs/documents/redalert.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
MyDocs/documents/redalert.deb
/home/user #

Originally Posted by drukane View Post
doesnt work for me, i get this error instead even the folder and file does exist
Are you sure, if you have the USB cable connected and are in mass-storage mode MyDocs is not mounted for access from the device... Also are you sure "documents" is that and not "Documents".

try "ls MyDocs/documents/redalert.deb" and then remove a component from the path and try again to figure out which part are you typoing.

One way to avoid typos in file/path names is to use the tab-autocomplete (type few letters of a dir/filename and press tab).

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Originally Posted by drukane View Post

/home/user # dpkg -i MyDocs/documents/redalert.deb
dpkg: error processing MyDocs/documents/redalert.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
MyDocs/documents/redalert.deb
/home/user #
It is because you made error in the path...
you can check it by this steps (in x-term):
1. sudo gainroot (or root)
2. cd /home/user/MyDocs
3. ls -la

you will see that forlder "documents" don't exist but exist folder ".documents"......

P.S. when you typing path like "cd /home/user/MyDocs" it will be helpful to use autocompletion. do next:
1. type "cd /h" press TAB.
2. type "u" press TAB .....
...../

The Following User Says Thank You to mikhmv For This Useful Post:
thanks guys i will try this

working now thanks again guys

I am still confused..Please can any one explain step by step the whole process rather than the correction as i have been trying to download Snes and unable to install the .deb file I tried these processes as well but did not help me much.