Active Topics

Poll: I rather:
Poll Options
I rather:

LINK

How great will the PSPhone running Android be?

Do you think it will pose a major threat to the:
iPhone?
(Motorola) Droids?
(Adoption of) MeeGo?
comparison to my Omnia concept?

Basic specs:
Landscape slider
Gaming controls: Shoulder buttons, D-Pad, Action-Pad and touchpad (in centre)
Screen: 3.7-4.1" capacitative WVGA
Probably: multitouch SLCD (not AMOLED or SAMOLED)
CPU: ARM Cortex A8 >1GHz
Probably 512 RAM
Camera: 5MP
Probably: 720p video @30fps with LED-Flashlight
OS: Android (3.0) Gingerbread with proprietary "closed sections" custom built for proprietary games
Probably: GSM phone connectivity with 3G
Probably: Bluetooth, Wifi, HDMI, Sony stick pro duo, proprietary connector

I'll wait for the OLED version.

n900 is pretty much dead...

It'll be inteesting to see but I doubt we will be seeing Sony giving up the PSP jst yet. The games on this will probably be nothing more than the few PSone Classics and Minis from the PS store.

I would doubt we would seeing anything like God of War or MGS on android.

I actually wouldn't put it past Sony to release something like this. It stands to make them a crapload of money and is certainly a practical idea for many handheld gamers. As such, however, it does not appeal to me given that it is running Android and also lacks a HW keyboard :P

Android in general is a major threat to the adoption to Meego. Against the Droid platform, it depends on what users are interested in.

Gaming is Android's weakness right now (compared to iPhone and dedicated game handhelds) so if users are interested in games than the PSPhone is a great alternative. Especially since they'll have access to the same Android apps that would be on the Droid anyway.

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
It'll be inteesting to see but I doubt we will be seeing Sony giving up the PSP jst yet. The games on this will probably be nothing more than the few PSone Classics and Minis from the PS store.

I would doubt we would seeing anything like God of War or MGS on android.
I think it depends on Sony's future plans. It doesn't make much sense to release a pure gaming handheld. They traditionally haven't done that well against Nintendo (I don't think anyone has by releasing a pure gaming handheld). The iPhone / iPod touch comes close, but there's still a gap in the type of games you can play and see on the iOS platform due to the hardware and Apple restrictions.

Releasing a gaming handheld that doubles as an Android smartphone would be a great double-hit that lets them target Nintendo, and Apple at the same time. If gaming hardware/storage is an issue then they could always bake whatever storage system they plan on using for the games into the hardware itself. That means other Android devices may not be able to play the games, but hey that's even more bonus for Sony. Buy the PSPhone to play God of War, 3D GTA, whatever.

But then battery life will be an issue..

Edit: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/19/n...he-wrong-side/

Hmm apparantly Sony is going make a next-gen PSP and a PSPphone. Not a good idea.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-08-19 at 15:42.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by cenwesi View Post
n900 is pretty much dead...
You sir, are off-off-topic.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.