Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
My usb port is actually inside the phone. It's been playing up for about a month. Any idea where I can take it to be repaired in the Nottingham/Derby region? Or suggest an alternative? Thanks everyone

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
Just now, and you of course did not consider solder down?

Anybody else still not considering soldering down?
I don't have a solder gun or skills. Luckily, I also don't have usb problems.

Why doesn't someone offer this preemptive soldering as a commercial service? It would be worth $50 to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't have a solder gun or skills. Luckily, I also don't have usb problems.

Why doesn't someone offer this preemptive soldering as a commercial service? It would be worth $50 to me.
Well me and i think estel can do it, but we need more around the world to make this faster.
Else it is me in denmark, and estel in poland right now, maby a new post should be made to help save the rest of the N900's that's still working so we can get all the "skilled" (doesn't take much to do) to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
I would be glad to help, ho ever, as dr_frost_dk says, interested people must also consider shipping fees in both sides Maybe we should start foundation and get national dotations?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I would be glad to help, ho ever, as dr_frost_dk says, interested people must also consider shipping fees in both sides Maybe we should start foundation and get national dotations?

/Estel
i was more thinking about getting users with basic soldering skill involved here

I was joking about donations, of course. I also agree, that we 2 can't solder devices of every willing user. Still, i don't think that we can get so much people, that no shipping cost are to be considered. Especially that, while solid soldering USB port isn't very hard, it also isn't trivial. I would not like to send my N900 to someone that got just "basic" soldering skills - really.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

just out of interest has anyone had a replacement in the last couple of months AND received a new/different refurbished n900? Or has everyone who has had a replacement gotten an e7 or n8 or something?

Just got an answerphone message from nokia care and the lady said that due to n90 not being manufactured anymore it MAY BE the case that they will have to send me a different handset such as an e7, in the event they cannot repair it.
I've already been on looking at the prices on ebay lol.
Some places are still saying they can sell a new n900. Looks like I might make around £50 on the whole deal too. If that is what happens that is. I wonder if I complain enough they might try and give me something more expensive? lol
Anyone any experience of this?

EDIT: Just been to look and new N9's are going for £450 to £600 on ebay. Might just ask for that and say I would consider anything else a downgrade. Worth a try right?

Last edited by kyllerbuzcut; 2011-11-19 at 16:02. Reason: extra info

Well i would just like to say that as per my previous post i did manage to get my n900 fixed in march this year, they replaced the motherboard and main housing but the screen was the original, however, it has since gone wrong again and now - in November I was not so lucky (or i was very lucky) depending on how you rate the replacement. I sent it away and i was told that it had been repaired and that it was on its way back to me, what i actually received was an E7 ... some say it's far superior to the N900,others say that the OS, although practically obsolete is better than anything that they have done with Symbian so far ... as for me well the jury's out at the mo, i have only had it about 3 days but I have to say that what i have seen is pretty impressive but something tells me that i am going to miss a lot of what the N900 had to offer

just an addition here, i think that if i was forced to choose between an N9 and an E7 as a replacement for the N900 i would probably go with the E7, there is far more support for it and the N9 although probably superior in a lot of ways is little more than an experiment and likely to become obsolete very quickly which is a shame, as i believe it has a lot of potential

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty