Active Topics

Why is Nokia sow rude with the new phones after 2 monts realles of the n900 world wide Nokia started to make a nother device Htc is cepping with its old devices like the tatoo or the htc pro nokia is just---- i wish nokia would do just like htc n put better hardware and dont sel low end hardware in high end devices ARM 8 600 mhz ? COME ON MAN! 256 ram??? I want the n900 cos i like the keyboard , tv-out , the look of it, 32gb internal memory n the community, im so SAD!

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
Nokia has *never* backported a new system to an older device, *never*.
And as long as that is their attitude, they'll continue to lose market share at the high end. They just don't get it. Things have changed. They should not be officially supporting Meego on old devices as some sort of charitable act. They should be doing it so that there would be a larger number of Meego end-users, which would attract interest from developers. N900 owners are a *resource* for Nokia's Meego effort that they are throwing away.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
You should merge this thread with Dave999's thread. It ran out of usefulness after the first couple of pages...

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
And as long as that is their attitude, they'll continue to lose market share at the high end. They just don't get it. Things have changed. They should not be officially supporting Meego on old devices as some sort of charitable act. They should be doing it so that there would be a larger number of Meego end-users, which would attract interest from developers. N900 owners are a *resource* for Nokia's Meego effort that they are throwing away.
There is no point in argument with that guy... he is a developer fanboy which doesn't have any notion at all from how the market works. I fully agree with your analysis. The market has changed and Nokia is not demonstrating not even near the innovation and responsiveness to change that Google and Apple have. Nokia's only competitive advantage is now their historical lead on the mobile market share, but numbers are showing they are loosing that too. I think it is a shame... I had a lot of Nokia devices and regret every time I bought other brand, but I am disappointed with their positioning regarding Maemo and N900, it is just a lack of respect with loyal clients.

just 1 question my b stupid but i have 2 ask it anyway... n yes im typing like this cus im using the n900, ok the question is in the PR 1.2 is gna b portrait mode?? cus i really need it, n sometimes is really anoying have 2 use the phone w two hands all the time...

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by CYPHERC View Post
just 1 question my b stupid but i have 2 ask it anyway... n yes im typing like this cus im using the n900, ok the question is in the PR 1.2 is gna b portrait mode?? cus i really need it, n sometimes is really anoying have 2 use the phone w two hands all the time...
Take a look at the forums, there are reports about some sort of global portrait mode in leaked PR 1.2 version, but it seems to be rather odd and unpolished.

Well how can PR1.2 be late when the HK devices got PR1.2 already?
I'm getting slightly frustrated.

My initial estimate was around 20th of April
But now approach June and still nothing.

Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
Well how can PR1.2 be late when the HK devices got PR1.2 already?
I'm getting slightly frustrated.

My initial estimate was around 20th of April
But now approach June and still nothing.
I believe the PR they are running is similar to the one that was leaked. So I believe Nokia just slapped together some firmware that worked good enough while they continue doing whatever the hell they're doing.

Not portrait mode as you probably expect. The browser will officially support portrait mode (it already does in 1.1 but it's missing a browser back button and you gotta do the easter egg) however there is no portrait keyboard so it's only useful for browsing. Opera will do portrait with keyboard though. There's no plans for Conversations, File Manager, etc.. although some people have gotten it to work by pressing a keyboard combination (I think it's either an easter egg or some testing thing left in by accident) in the leaked PR 1.2.

There's no portrait keyboard planned so while you can view say conversations in portrait mode (with the key press combo in leaked PR 1.2) you can't type anything without returning to landscape.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
That reminds me -- Nokia needs to develop good translation software!

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Verona, Italy
no portrait keyboard planned?? Are you serious?? I mean, if i'm browsing in portrait mode and i want to write somethig (a post in a forum, an url, ecc) do i have to turn my 900 everytime?? I't's ridicolous!!

Tags
black hole, vortex of dumb