Active Topics

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I don't know the differences, so pardon me. But would the Atom netbook builds be able to run on my budget desktop hardware, or does ATOM have inherent architectural differences that make it necessary? I assumed MeeGo would run on all x86 hardware, but what do I know?
Run, yes, probably. (While it's possible it's got Atom optimizations without fallbacks, I can't imagine actually doing it at this stage -- ability for more people to tinker with it would seem to trump the very slight performance edge.) But drivers might be missing for, e.g., video and network adapters; the Atom netbook platform is remarkably uniform in the wild, and presumably the Moorestowne devices (have any shipped? AFAIK only prototypes...) are even closer.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
MeeGo is just a 'base' system that will be something that many platform will share in the near future.
The MeeGo that'll run on the N900 is based on this MeeGo that has been released today (fully open) with some additional closed source components and drivers that can't be released into the open due to licensing (as shame as that is).

They kept their word on what was about to be released.
If I read it correctly, the first MeeGo User Experience will be shown sometime in May.

Anyway.. this is the first day, the very first day and we're going to see how a fully blown system is going to be build almost from the very scratch.

Image this as a basic Ubuntu with no UI.. then on top of this we're going to get Xubuntu, Kubuntu and so on (i.e. the Ubuntu User Experiences).

This is what we've got today.
The MeeGo foundation. The first blocks.
read this before doing anything

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
Watch out or this could happen...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48914

That blog post mentioned that MeeGo booted to a terminal. There was no "User Experience" layer... i.e., no Harmattan. This is only for hackers.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Andy214 View Post
Is this why PR1.2 was delayed? Just a thought.
The Nokia schedules for Maemo 5 releases are totally independent from the MeeGo project schedules.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The Nokia schedules for Maemo 5 releases are totally independent from the MeeGo project schedules.
From a Meego point of view. But i remember the last update "magically" appearing shortly after the Meego announcement, in order to distract and psychologically sedate the angry and confused mob. I found this procedure utterly disgusting and unethical. There have been quite some moments where Nokian business chess bs was executed, so i don't take your word for it.

Originally Posted by acou View Post
From a Meego point of view. But i remember the last update "magically" appearing shortly after the Meego announcement, in order to distract and psychologically sedate the angry and confused mob. I found this procedure utterly disgusting and unethical. There have been quite some moments where Nokian business chess bs was executed, so i don't take your word for it.
If you had any evidence to back that up, I imagine you'd have posted it, so I'm inclined to take that as the baseless rant it looks like.

But even presuming you're right about the previous update... at least there was an announcement about the future of Maemo at that point to generate an "angry and confused mob". Are you really claiming N[789]x0 users (other than yourself) are such a vicious demented zombie-horde as to be re-angered and re-confused by the release of MeeGo images, even though it brings no real change in the status of either Maemo 5 or MeeGo?

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
If you had any evidence to back that up, I imagine you'd have posted it, so I'm inclined to take that as the baseless rant it looks like.

But even presuming you're right about the previous update... at least there was an announcement about the future of Maemo at that point to generate an "angry and confused mob". Are you really claiming N[789]x0 users (other than yourself) are such a vicious demented zombie-horde as to be re-angered and re-confused by the release of MeeGo images, even though it brings no real change in the status of either Maemo 5 or MeeGo?
Reading between the lines seems to be hard for people who fetishize evidences, even for the most obvious tactical moves.

You're better off sticking to the explicit layer, i can see that now.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
so i don't take your word for it.
Up to you.

For clarity, MeeGo launch / releases and Maemo 5 updates are not related or conditioned to each other in any way. Both projects are doing their public steps independently as soon as they are ready to make them.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
I guess your position is obvious, but I would welcome ANY updates to Maemo 5 with open arms. Even if they were released after an announcement. So Nokia, when can we expect to see fixes pushed to us consumers that resolve issues that were marked as fixed in bugzilla almost 2mo ago??

(of course I'm not expecting a useful response to that question, lol)