Notices

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
hi,

is there any chance that the GPS Datalogger widget gets an option to store (or better convert) GPX logs to the KML format?
I mean GPX is some how the RAW material and it is fine because I want to upload the ways to openstreetmap, but it would also good if i could directly use the logs in google earth.

Logging in both formats would need more CPU time (at least a bit) and it would need more storage space. That is why I suggest that a "convert stored logs on request" function would be perfect.

or is there any other way to convert the GPX to KML directly on the N900 ?

cu assetburned

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by assetburned View Post
or is there any other way to convert the GPX to KML directly on the N900
The general answer for a gps conversion program would be gpsbabel, which is a command line utility. Unfortunately it is not available for N900. I took the source code from debian lenny and I was able to build a deb package for N900 with only a simple modification. It seems to run.

However, I don't know what to do with the package. I am not very keen on starting to support it.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ China
Where I can browse GPS logger widget source code, i wanna know how it is accesses to the GPS device's IO

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany
Google Earth can open .gpx files by itself. Exactly like .kml files. With tracks, points and every point has the direction and speed stored in the description.
GPX is also not raw, it's some kind of .xml, like .kml.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ China

If you want an easy way to convert GPX to KML you can use this free online converter http://gpx2kml.com