I have a vodafone phone. the only difference form this and a non branded one is the internet settings are setup (vodafone internet settings installed). eveything is the same.

vodafone told me i can flash the phone as long as the firmware is on the nokia's website. i made sure they put a note on my account that they said this. so am going to flash to the new firmware over the weekend and use the globe ver.

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Vodafone continues to give problems.

I might need to flash mine to global too. I still havent got the latest firmware update. Im using version 2.2009.51-1.205.1

And I've lost one of my GPRS connections in my sim so now I only have Wap (in my previous sim (which i misplaced), I had "GPRS" too).
The problem I have here is connecting using Vodafone WAP means some sites (notably youtube) redirects me to m.youtube.com and nothing I do makes it go to the full youtube site. However when i use to connect using Vodafone GPRS i could use the full site. Dont ask how or what. I cant explain this behaviour.
There was an article a while ago that tells of this, what it said was the wap connection is dual purpose and as long as your account is set properly (go into vodafone store and look at the internet setting on your account) the wap connection defaults to standard IP based networking, this is my experience and I only have the Vodafone WAP connection but all works fine including vpn's etc.

The Vodafone GPRS connection has been deprecated for N900.

rgds

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Guildford, UK
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Vodafone continues to give problems.

I might need to flash mine to global too. I still havent got the latest firmware update. Im using version 2.2009.51-1.205.1

And I've lost one of my GPRS connections in my sim so now I only have Wap (in my previous sim (which i misplaced), I had "GPRS" too).
The problem I have here is connecting using Vodafone WAP means some sites (notably youtube) redirects me to m.youtube.com and nothing I do makes it go to the full youtube site. However when i use to connect using Vodafone GPRS i could use the full site. Dont ask how or what. I cant explain this behaviour.
2 Options to fix the connections issue:

Either go to Internet Connections in the Settings and change the Vodafone Wap settings to have these details:

Access Point Name: Internet
Username: web
password: web
No proxy

Or download fAPN (cant remember if it's in Extras or Testing) and then add another GPRS connection using the above settings, then you'll have both WAP and the normal GPRS Internet one.

I hope this helps

Posts: 140 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Earth
Other than Vodafone UK's phone branding i personally cannot complain about them. Had Nokia's from them for years and in the latter 3 went down the non branded route by renewing the voda contract via Carphone Warehouse.

With that in mind i can see why people might want to debrand their 900. Saying that i've not seen a voda branded 900 so not aware what level has been applied.

My std Nokia issue is tops. Some hiccups have been enountered & overcome but no complaints on the whole.

N900 - Use, Master, Appreciate.

I also got mine from CPW, no probs with anything!!!

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Other than Vodafone UK's phone branding i personally cannot complain about them. Had Nokia's from them for years and in the latter 3 went down the non branded route by renewing the voda contract via Carphone Warehouse.

With that in mind i can see why people might want to debrand their 900. Saying that i've not seen a voda branded 900 so not aware what level has been applied.

My std Nokia issue is tops. Some hiccups have been enountered & overcome but no complaints on the whole.
same i have never had issues with vodafone before the n900.

mine is from a voda store and has no branding apart from the different FW 205 variant. (this is now gone and flashed to global)

If you have never had problems with vodaphone then i can suggest your lucky !
Only last week they disconnected my phone and told me i didnt pay the bill, when its a direct debit, and when i went to the centre, they called them up and said i went over my limit, I told her straight in the face, bollocks did i and then they transfered to another department that said yes he has paid and yes were putting it back on.

Some great internal management going on there eh ?
Do the departments hate each other or something ?
Did this particular one loose at their weekly internal LAN quake game or something ?
Jesus its like the company is run by crazy hermits who hate each other.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Exeter (UK)
I got mu N900 on Voda phone all be it via esave and its not branded??