Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
If everybody is going to rant about missing his favorite application, I will say that I really miss IQnotes, which I used a lot on the Zaurus...

Originally Posted by fpp
All these features are already available on the 770 with Python, PyGtk and pyGame.
Has anyone actually installed these packages? Are there any other dependencies? I guess I should read up on them...

Thats why Im so passionate about trying to get the 770 mainstream. Once it goes mainstream, we will apps like crazy being developed for this great device

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mmmm I beg to differ. I would still bet that 99% of app development is happening in the niche. 15 year olds armed with mommy's credit card are more likely your 'mainstream' customers and I doubt many know the first thing about development.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
Mmmm I beg to differ. I would still bet that 99% of app development is happening in the niche. 15 year olds armed with mommy's credit card are more likely your 'mainstream' customers and I doubt many know the first thing about development.
15 year olds with 400 dollars of disposable income, are buying the new xboxes.

Originally Posted by cis4life
Thats why Im so passionate about trying to get the 770 mainstream. Once it goes mainstream, we will apps like crazy being developed for this great device
The 770 isnt going to go mainstream when we have all these crappy ports "just to see if could be done" of existing apps. Its going to stay a "hobby" device.

Originally Posted by Supergeek
Has anyone actually installed these packages? Are there any other dependencies? I guess I should read up on them...
Yes, I have. They're pretty much standalone (ie install what you need).
I installed the early, non-maemo packages with the dpkg -X method (see Privoxy HOWTO in the Wiki), but I think they have released proper 770-compatible packages since.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Exactly. They're buying XBOX 360s - - not developing for them

(I have a modded XBOX and aside from the media center and some other apps, there wasn't a lot of home-brew software out there for it).

The Community Braintrust for the 770 is just now ramping up.
1) The toolsets are still being developed.
2) People are still poking and prodding this thing. There are a lot of "ah-ha' moments going on all around..

This product is very early in it's life, no one is (or should) be arguing otherwise. As our numbers grow, and the toolsets mature along with their documentation, and the poking and proding gets documneted, the quantity and quality of apps will get better.

-Jason

Quite. Case in point - some hand holding on maemo-python has begun here :
http://www.teemuharju.net/