Hello maemo community .
Im new here and ive just got my n900 yesterday and i was trying to access the new firmware update for the ovi store but its not letting me.
Investigating its giving me a 404 error on the Nokia Software Update catalouge.
But then again i read somewhere that vodaphone have their own custom firmware installed....which sucks.
Is this true ?
I cant even access the extras-testing
or the extras-devel catalouge and i have a feeling it may be locked out.

The firmware version is: 1.2009.42-11.205.1

If this is custom firmware is it possible to use the flasher and flash it with the normal updatable, bug fixing, with no vodaphone 360 **** included, no voip locking, money charging for wi fi in a foreign country even tho your in a hotel and the wi fi is free, firmware ?

I should explain that.. had a n96 before, went to amsterdam you no as you do to smoke some herbs and at the hotel i used the wi fi, i come back to england with a ****ing 465 pound phone bill.
And i only used it to update my facebook status.. .
Apperently in a foriengn country they charge you, well its not apperent they do and its the most stupidest thing known to man.
Now since this is a INTERNET TABLET phone, with WI FI, and i will end up going to another COUNTRY, i dont want this vodaphone firmware on my n900, and i advise anyone else going to travel to another country with the n900 to do the same .

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
There is no custom firmware, and I'm quite, quite sure that Nokia wouldn't let even Vodaphone do this to the n900.

It sounds as if you don't have any internet access at all. Can you use your home wifi? If not, there may be a configuration problem there.

If you told the person selling you the phone that didn't want any internet access other than wifi, they won't have enabled your sim card for data. That would be why you can't connect. Even in the UK, data costs. Always. If you don't have data and want it, you need to ring voda and find out what their charges are. You should be able to get a bolt-on type package for a reasonable amount - but it will still not be 'unlimited': check the terms and conditions (my limit is 500mb/month on Orange).

As for being billed for net access overseas, not having proprietry software won't make any difference to that: the only way to prevent that is to not access the intenet other than via wifi when you're out of the country. Most phones will ask you whether you want roaming connection - n900 certainly does. Tell it no, every time. It sounds as if you didn't actually have the wifi set up, and were connecting via data roaming.

Phone companties most certainly do tell you - on their websites and in the terms and conditions that roaming charges will apply to data access in another country. Check the price before you go.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
stuff Vodafone... LOL.. I love to be brand free. Nokia and nothing else to annoy me.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
they have branded it some how if they stuck vodafone 360 on it.
there is another thread where n900's on vodafone cant get the update also.
edit: heres the thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=vodafone

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
they have branded it some how if they stuck vodafone 360 on it.
there is another thread where n900's on vodafone cant get the update also.
edit: heres the thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=vodafone
You are kidding me? They have branded the thing? And Nokia let them? Now that sucks BIG time.
Why would you want vodaphone 360? n900 address book already does that.

they probably just stuck vodafone widgets and bookmarks on it.
so probably not branded in the way they do on other nokia devices where they block anything that they are competing with.
if its locked to vodafone i believe they will have to wait as vodafone have to agree and hit the ok to release button. operators have way too much power with devices what are branded and locked.
i would not put it past them to be blocking the software update repo

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-01-13 at 09:18.

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
they probably just stuck vodafone widgets and bookmarks on it.
so probably not branded in the way they do on other nokia devices where they block anything that they are competing with.
if its locked to vodafone i believe they will have to wait as vodafone have to agree and hit the ok to release button. operators have way too much power with devices what are branded and locked.
i would not out it past them to be blocking the software update repo
Damnit that just plain sucks. I though with n900 we'd got past all that sort of crap. Presumably Voda will have to check the update - and then the big update as well. And then stick their sparkles on it. It could be ages before the voda-people get updated. In fact, there were updates never made available at all by some of the carriers on other systems.

GRRRRR

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
i am on contract with vodafone on my N900 and i have no problems with software, and there is no branding whatsoever, but then i did get my phone from mobile phones direct and not direct from vodafone.

my n95 8gb i had on vodafone never used to get updates until 2 months after nokia release the generic versions, vodafone used to add loads of bloatware on it before allowing us to update

Hiya, Im on contract with Voda, and had no problems in updating the firmware. Make sure you are online using vodafone GPRS, and update the application manager. It should just pop up.