Notices

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Hi niqbal, just replied to your pm and noticed the post (so ignore my pm reply!).

thanks for the files, I will try them and report back.

What I meant about noth up or direction up is the ability, when navigating for the route to always point upwards, that way left and right turns are on you left and right.
At the moment the pointer follows the map direction so could be going down the screen if I am travelling South and up the screen if I am travelling North. Does that make sense?

Also, do I need to do anything for the auto-recalculate route to start working or will it do it by itself?

Mike

Originally Posted by mmarks View Post
Hi niqbal, just replied to your pm and noticed the post (so ignore my pm reply!).

thanks for the files, I will try them and report back.

What I meant about noth up or direction up is the ability, when navigating for the route to always point upwards, that way left and right turns are on you left and right.
At the moment the pointer follows the map direction so could be going down the screen if I am travelling South and up the screen if I am travelling North. Does that make sense?

Also, do I need to do anything for the auto-recalculate route to start working or will it do it by itself?

Mike
now i get it. Yes you are right, but this functionality is missing for now. It doesnt keep the car (or navigator) in the middle of the screen .. this is what i meant by zooming in to road level. This is exactly the functionality i mentioned to earthwings. When guidance mode should start, it should drop down to road level with u in perspective. So map is relative to you. Like u said, when u have to turn left in say 800m u should be able to peek at the map and see which left. Ideally after hearing a beautiful voice telling u to turn left lol

Routes are automatically recalculated and this functionality is solid. Make a route map, and zoom in to see little nodes on route, then u can move nodes to tell it exactly which path u want to take. It will automatically keep rerouting while u change nodes

Last edited by niqbal; 2011-06-01 at 15:43.

Marble 1.1.8 + Offline Routing Daemon 0.3
Feedback as i find my way through Marble
  • Home Location/Bookmarks works with Routing dialog but in Goto dialog - they end up taking u around the world somewhere lol (does not work, period)
  • Zoom in sufficiently on flat map and it kills the app everytime
  • Fullscreen mode is very nice. Two things, a keyboard shorcut OR an icon to toggle between fullscreen mode on/off would be better.
  • Tracking Dialog Settings are not saved. This is seriously annoying bug.
  • In Routing Dialog drop down menu, Clear Route needs to be added rather than manually kills nodes
  • Auto Zoom-in function is a mis-hit. It doesn't work properly. Ideally, it should be at road level all the time but its atleast two to three times zoomed out further back just showing you which highway or road you are on.
  • Voice is unpredictable. Its giving correct directions but they are mostly a little too early. Say turn left in a km or so and as soon as i turn on that road, it tells me to Turn Left in 800m. Its working but shouldn't it ideally tell you to turn left when you are actually at the left turn. Once i heard, Bear Left when i was about to turn left and it made me happy. But its a mis-hit for now.
  • In Routing Dialog, when a saved route is opened, map should automatically move to show route now. it stays stagnant instead
  • Legend -> Hillshading checkbox not available/missing

Last edited by niqbal; 2011-06-05 at 13:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Hampshire,UK
Morning
am having a problem with the sounds for this - have download and installed as instructed with oggs and mp3 but still no voice.
also the auto re calculation of a route - if I come a across a diversion marble doesn't recalculate a new route from the change unlike sygic.
have I missed a setting or can this be added.
thanks

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
@acrux: 800 meters is the distance at which a voice command is played (unless turn points come up in short distance). I changed the behavior for beta 2, see below.

@Soppa: Hm, that sounds strange. I upgraded ogg-support to the new version 1.1 in testing yesterday, which broke it again for me. Then downgraded, still broken. Then I reinstalled decoders-support (apt-get install --reinstall decoders-support), still broken. Rebooted, waited for tracker to finish indexing (tracker-status reporting 'Idle'). Still nothing. After another reinstall of decoders-support it worked again. It may be related to both decoders-support and ogg-support sometimes hanging during installation (dbus communication errors are reported).

@nipbal: Thanks for the testing. Some bugs are already fixed, see below. The tiles for the OpenStreetMap theme are stored in /home/user/MyDocs/.maps/OpenStreetMap I. Other themes store them in /home/user/MyDocs/.local/share/marble/maps/$planet/$theme. You can delete files there to increase the available space. Automatic housekeeping (which limits the total size of downloaded tiles, deletes oldest) is disabled in Marble currently.

@mmarks: Auto map rotation is not supported at the moment. Auto zooming is there (activated automatically during guidance mode, manually in the Tracking dialog), but could use some tweaking. Map matching is done internally of course, but the track only shows the raw GPS position so far. Guess that's a feature to add in one of the next versions. Downloading country (image) tiles is problematic because of the size needed for higher zoom levels. In my opinion the only sane way to do that is to use vector maps (there's a GSOC project going on at the moment to implement it in Marble).
Routes will automatically be recalculated in guidance mode (left of the four icons on the bottom of the screen).

@rob42: Which version of ogg-support is installed on your N900? "apt-cache policy ogg-support" executed in the terminal tells you, package manager might do as well.
For route recalculation -- is guidance mode enabled? That's the left of the four icons on the bottom of the screen.

@all: I updated the packages on my server to 1.1.85 (1.2 Beta 2). If you installed beta 1, you can upgrade from the X-terminal: apt-get update; apt-get install marble. See here. Remember: This is software with beta quality.

Changes since beta 1:
  • Better transport type and upgrade handling in monav configuration. Bike and pedestrian offline routing maps are available for Germany on the server now
  • Store the last transport type used and tracking options (auto center, auto zoom) and restore it after a restart of Marble
  • Searching in the Go To... dialog can be cancelled, Bookmark selection fixed
  • Fix crash at high zoom levels (spherical and flat map projection)
  • Filter duplicate results in offline search for overlapping region databases
  • Distinguish between announcement and actual turn during voice guidance. Previously each turn type was announced up to 850 meters in advance. Now a second, different voice command (or sound) indicates the turn up to 50 meters in advance.
  • Clear action in the Routing dialog

Feedback is (as always) welcome. Enjoy

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I don't get the point of keeping beta software out of -devel and -testing. Those repositories exist for the whole purpose of bug testing unstable software.

I for one sit on the -devel repository because I'm willing to bug test and have software break every update.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I don't get the point of keeping beta software out of -devel and -testing. Those repositories exist for the whole purpose of bug testing unstable software.

I for one sit on the -devel repository because I'm willing to bug test and have software break every update.
You're right, but looking at the download statistics it seems that the majority of users have extras-devel enabled. If I push these betas to extras-devel, several thousand people will install them. I want the more obvious problems to be fixed before doing that.
I guess one of the RCs will go to extras-devel though.

I see your point that this defeats the purpose of extras-devel a bit, but I'd blame it on Nokia for including the (disabled) extras-devel in the default firmware while leaving extras-testing entirely out. IMHO that's where the extras promotion process is broken: For the average user it's easy to use unstable software, but hard to use/test supposedly more stable testing software. This results in a long extras promotion (see extras-testing queue) and too much usage of extras-devel by non-testers.

Originally Posted by earthwings
I see your point that this defeats the purpose of extras-devel a bit, but I'd blame it on Nokia for including the (disabled) extras-devel in the default firmware while leaving extras-testing entirely out. IMHO that's where the extras promotion process is broken: For the average user it's easy to use unstable software, but hard to use/test supposedly more stable testing software. This results in a long extras promotion (see extras-testing queue) and too much usage of extras-devel by non-testers.
Actually, extras-devel isn't included by default (enabled or disabled).

If you reflash the N900 and then look at the catalogues in Hildon Application Manager, only Maemo.org's Extras is enabled. Extras-Testing and Extras-Devel aren't even there. FApMan, as far as I know, doesn't add them (disabled or not) either.

Nay, the great flood of end-users to -devel is self-caused by the users themselves. The second part is that the promotion process is sometimes a PITA for users - you can't use your talk.maemo.org sign on to vote, and it's not intuitive to find the voting pages. Plus some devs are lazy, and/or don't commit in the long-term, so they upload something to -devel but don't bother adding an icon and bugtracker link, or whatever other minor bits are needed to promote down to Extras.

Feedback on Marble 1.1.85
  • Open Route should take you to the route on map but it stays stagnant.
  • GPS icon in Routing Info Box turn blue when on and white when off. If it stays on (blue) and marble is exited and restarted, it makes a gps connection but icon remains white even though gps is locked in.
  • Tracking Dialog does not save settings for Show Track. It stays enabled by default.
  • Voice worked much better, still quirky but better. It does tell you to turn left or right just before you reach the turn not during or after so thats well done.
  • Voice Guidance Icon when clicked should automatically toggle to Fullscreen Mode.
  • Icons should be worked on now. It is almost ready and i feel 1.2 beta should include better iconset. Ovi maps do have great icons, don't think you can directly use them in your software but still should give you a good idea of how icons should be laid out. Left transparent panel maybe with gps at top, then voice guidance, then zoom + |||| - then toggle fullscreen icon.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
  • Voice Guidance Icon when clicked should automatically toggle to Fullscreen Mode.
I disagree. There's no logical reason in my opinion as to why anything completely unrelated to the screen controls should switch full-screen mode on/off.

Tags
marble, nokia n900