Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
A shortcut icon is apparently not included. It's using the generic blue square. Speed seems on a par with 1.1

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Shortcut will appear after a reboot.

Also, it looks like it has made it on to Ovi Store too:

http://store.ovi.com/content/26002?c...a=applications

The Following User Says Thank You to travla For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Ah this is bloody crazy, can they not get nowt right blimy.

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
i have install this firefox 4 by upgrading the beta version but still the latest one is called fennec on my n900...

as i see the installation log i see...

fennec 4.0~beta 5 replaced by fennec 4.0....

tested the latest version n yes far more faster than beta....

between microB-firefox-opera....well there all have they own advantage...it depend to the user to use which one they prefer the most....

The Following User Says Thank You to pusak gaoq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Ah this is bloody crazy, can they not get nowt right blimy.
Good morning Mr abill...
Does this mean that they have got it right? as in "not get nowt"..if I were you I'd steer clear of northern. ;-)

Does this support flash???If not, then MicroB is still the best bet and Opera next to it.....

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Installed through terminal and version showing up as 4.0b13-pre is this correct?

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Seattle, WA, US
Originally Posted by JamesDownWell View Post
Installed through terminal and version showing up as 4.0b13-pre is this correct?
Yes, this is the latest version. (If you go to about:firefox it should say 4.0.)

Originally Posted by n900ak
Does this support flash???If not, then MicroB is still the best bet and Opera next to it.....
To enable flash, follow the instructions here: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/799519

Originally Posted by travla View Post
Yes, that is definitely what is happening, and I can confirm that disabling Ovi just throws an error that fennec can't be found. Best way is to follow the link below and save the deb to your device, and install (assuming you've already uninstalled any beta/RCs):

http://moff.mozilla.com/latest/maemo.../binary-armel/
yep, for once I'm forced to agree with abill_uk, it's incredible that ovi/mozilla can have made it so hard to get the new version of firefox installed on the phone (in my case anyway).

I already had firefox 1.1 installed (got it from OVI). I also had the ovi & mozilla repos enabled, from when I did that install. Got no indication of any updates available, so when I saw the news of V4 on "The Register" today, I followed the link to the mozilla website and clicked on the maemo download. This added a new mozilla repo, and then tried to install v1.1 (again) for some reason, so I cancelled.

I then remembered that I'd originally installed via OVI. I went to OVI store and checked firefox - sure enough, it is now offering "Firefox 4 for Maemo". I clicked to download it and this brought up app manager - but did nothing further. I then uninstalled my existing ff and tried again and this time it offered to install firefox 1.1 (again). I then disabled the OVI repo and the old mozilla repo, and tried to download via the mozilla download link again - but still no joy ... after getting the "mising package" for fennec, I re-enabled the ovi repo and yet again got offered v1.1.

I finally found the V4 .deb on the mozilla website (as per Travla's link), downloaded that and it installed fine.

Reckon I wasted about two hours farting around with the app catalogs, and removal/install attempts in the ever-speedy App Manager. grrr.

Finally fired up the new firefox browser only to find it is at best "meh", particualrly after having played with Opera 11 for a couple of weeks. Sooo not worth the effort I'm afraid, it starts so slowly that I lost the will to live explore. Will bno doubt give it a proper try once I'm less p!$$ed off but for now sync is the only advantage I can see ... and that ain't enough for me to fire it up on a regular basis :-(

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
So i am using right now the latest (today's) beta and was trying to do mod the serach engines, like it's said here But that doesn't work. Have anybody tried this yet. If yes, is there any solution to that problem?