Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Venty View Post
That's all I'm asking. I read somewhere, that Jolla plans to release updates monthly, but nothing official.
We aim for monthly. Whether or not we can pull it off, let's see. I'm cautiously optimistic.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
That is exactly the use case for MMS, to send picture postcards to your grandma who does not have email.
And that is what I use it for on a regular basis. Like SMS but with multiedia attachment. Although it is all kinds of people I send MMS to.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
We aim for monthly. Whether or not we can pull it off, let's see. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Hopefully, the users (like me) will not get tired of updating their phones every month. Oh well, I should first get my Jolla now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
MMS was important to me around the time when original iPhone and N900 were around. I was really annoyed about the lack of of MMS in the N900

Since then the old farts/fossils in my life have learned to use far better alternatives, so I don't care, but I understand that some people still need the feature.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
This is just a general comment, but it does involve MMS. This is also a personal statement, not something necessarily company-endorsed.

Shipping a working mobile OS is already a lot of work. The more features you add, the more work is involved - but the amount of people you have to split that work in our case is quite constant (and the lesson enshrined by the "mythical man month" is that adding a bunch more people won't necessarily solve that problem any more quickly - it may make the situation worse, even).

So you have three essential parameters you can tweak: features (+/-), quality (+/-), schedule (+/-). Pick any two.

We chose to ship something that we hope is of an acceptable quality on our target schedule, and look at adding more features through software updates. Hopefully when we look back at this in 6 months, that'll seem like a good choice.
I for one am happy that you guys chose to do everything on schedule. While I will be missing some features at first, I know you'll be improving on the OS all the time so no worries.
I'd have hated for that thing to happen to you (I was sort of expecting it really) that is super common to a lot of startups with ambitious new product (think RaspberryPi, Ouya, etc....), when rollout and delivery is delayed and delayed again for nobody cares what reasons. I'm pretty sure your proving that you can deliver as planned will be a strong selling point in the future, and I congratulate you on that. In the meantime, I count on Sailfish becoming full-featured soon enough!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
I for one am happy that you guys chose to do everything on schedule. While I will be missing some features at first, I know you'll be improving on the OS all the time so no worries.
I'd have hated for that thing to happen to you (I was sort of expecting it really) that is super common to a lot of startups with ambitious new product (think RaspberryPi, Ouya, etc....), when rollout and delivery is delayed and delayed again for nobody cares what reasons. I'm pretty sure your proving that you can deliver as planned will be a strong selling point in the future, and I congratulate you on that. In the meantime, I count on Sailfish becoming full-featured soon enough!
And Vivaldi project also was delayed ...
Barnabas Collins

w00t: I know that what I'll ask is probably not in your court and it's also probably quite difficult to achieve, but here it goes: is there any chance that Jolla can publish a short term roadmap of features that Sailfish OS will definitely have?

I'm not looking for release dates or anything, but something like "we are definitely working in CalDAV and that will come eventually". This will probably help ease some of the expectation of folks out there considering whether to get the phone or not.

Some of these features have been mentioned in this thread, but a roadmap peek that comes officially from Jolla would be a lot better!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
in parallel: port fMMS (MMS hopefully from Maemo) -> dev fMMS
eventually integrate MMS -> Jolla
Why does everyone want to wait around for Frals to port fMMS. This is an open source package, is it not? Get the code from garage and have at it!
That's what I am usually told whenever I ask about application x missing y or not doing z, even though I am not a developer (I keep wondering if it's best to put that information in one's signature in communities such as this one).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
@JanneEdelman:

THATS just what I wanted to see, many many many thanks for those great pictures.

What I was interested in was the backside pictures, and YES, there it is: Three places with "golden" contact terminals for the jolla other half to connect its i2c and NFC. Its all we need, and no doubt there will be third party hardware with qwert and other stuff in case jolla or partners doesn't come up with great hardware for this.

This is one of the main great things with the Jolla device!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
So you have three essential parameters you can tweak: features (+/-), quality (+/-), schedule (+/-). Pick any two.

We chose to ship something that we hope is of an acceptable quality on our target schedule, and look at adding more features through software updates. Hopefully when we look back at this in 6 months, that'll seem like a good choice.
In what way Jolla would like to receive bug reports?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience