Posts: 106 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
Good news. The Asus Eee PC X101 Meego netbook will become
available in a few European markets by the middle of August and will
cost just €169.

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/h...ope-mid-august

Go to http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_PC_X101/#download for the user manual.

Enjoy!

WilliePre

Proud owner of a Jolla smart phone
Check this out !
http://www.jollatides.com/

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Well it looks like this netbook is now available stateside. This is a reputable site having a relative purchase from them before. I'm tempted to pull the trigger, but I guess the only thing holding me back would be knowing if this thing could access repositories other than the ASUS store, and how well the apps would work on this thing. The price point is tempting, I don't need a tablet, I like the form factor and the keyboard...so close to doing it, someone push me over the edge :-)

http://www.excaliberpc.com/608477/as...-seashell.html

As good as it is, I sometimes wonder if it'd be better to just buy a slightly better eee pc and throw Meego on it. You'd certainly get a bigger HDD than the 8Gb SSD they have in here.

That said, I still like this machine a lot. I have absolutely no need for it but I want it.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Yeah I totally have no need for it also, but something about it is so pretty, and it looks like a fun toy to have. I'd love to have it for flights for flicks and the like, just wondering how easy it would be to get extra codec support on it, does it have xterm, things like that. I'm sure its easily modified, but I don't really have too much time for that nowadays. If it's simple as loading up some repos, doing a lil xterm, and tweaking it here and there to get a good bit out of it I'm in, but if it's less than that I may pass...or wait a month or two an watch it drop to $150 level possibly :-)

Looking at Meego.com it seems like the terminal is included by default with vanilla Meego. Not sure why this should be any different.

Thanks though man, now I'm really looking hard at getting it.
I could find a use for it like I do with my CM7 NC but I'll have to acknowledge that it's just a toy.

The Following User Says Thank You to cincibluer6 For This Useful Post:
Anyone know if the limit on RAM can be surpassed on this? Asus said it's limited to 2 but I wonder if it could recognize 4. I've read that Windows netbooks (IIRC) can do just that even though it states that 2 is max.

Originally Posted by cincibluer6 View Post
Anyone know if the limit on RAM can be surpassed on this? Asus said it's limited to 2 but I wonder if it could recognize 4. I've read that Windows netbooks (IIRC) can do just that even though it states that 2 is max.
The problem is in the CPU, and Atom chips max out at 2GB currently. AMD Zacate chips (C-50, E-350) support up to 8GB I believe, but won't work with MeeGo.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
The problem is in the CPU, and Atom chips max out at 2GB currently. AMD Zacate chips (C-50, E-350) support up to 8GB I believe, but won't work with MeeGo.
Hmm, I see. I was figuring it had something to do with the mobo. Interesting though.
It'd certainly be nice to see Meego running on something other than Atoms. With all the new advances coming out, I'm tempted to hold out for Medfield (or whatever Intel is calling their new mobile/netbook line) but who knows if Asus is really that committed to Meego.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ New Jersey, USA
So I decided to get one of these as a low-cost, light, and thin netbook.

I'll probably end up wiping MeeGo and installing Ubuntu, but I thought I would try it out until I can't stand the lack of applications.

Judging from the responses on this thread, I'm guessing there's little interest in what I think of the machine and MeeGo. I am headed home now to open it up - anyone interested in hearing what I think/seeing pics, etc?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Please do. It's going to be collector's info

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Tags
pffft, pointless tag, tag troll ftw