http://www.paulgraham.com/apple.html

The part that really struck me, talking about how to get app developers to switch to a new platform and break the power of the iTunes App Store:

If you could think of an application programmers had to have, but that would be impossible in the circumscribed world of the iPhone, you could presumably get them to switch.

That would definitely happen if programmers started to use handhelds as development machines—if handhelds displaced laptops the way laptops displaced desktops. You need more control of a development machine than Apple will let you have over an iPhone.

Could anyone make a device that you'd carry around in your pocket like a phone, and yet would also work as a development machine? It's hard to imagine what it would look like.
Um... I have a device that I carry around in my pocket like a phone and that works as a development machine. It's my N800.

Last edited by jacobmattison; 2009-11-20 at 16:02.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jacobmattison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Email sent to Paul.

Originally Posted by jacobmattison View Post
Um... I have a device that I carry around in my pocket like a phone and that works as a development machine. It's my N800.
It doesn't replace your laptop though. Limited flash playback ability, no java support, low processor speed/memory. the experience you get on the n800 is no comparison to a desktop or laptop experience, whereas going from a dekstop to laptop there is no significant difference.

there is already a noticeable difference going from a laptop to a netbook in terms of usability and performance, let alone going to an n800 with a much slower processor etc. perhaps a device with a tegra chip would help..

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted by bigr3dd0g View Post
perhaps a device with a tegra chip would help..
Or just the N900 'n its successors.
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Wanted: Woman with hammer.
hrmmm how about a penguin with lasers for eyes?

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City

Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
Paul Allen? huh?
wasn't paul allen the guy in american psycho film?

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
wasn't paul allen the guy in american psycho film?
co-founder of Microsoft

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
whereas going from a dekstop to laptop there is no significant difference
Pro developers have at least quad core (probably multiple threads per core) desktops with 8GB+ RAM and triple-head displays each one running at 2000xsomething pixels.

It's really quite a leap down, even to the best laptop which is still portable :-)

But I still think it's worth it, to be able to work wherever I feel like :-)

Last edited by jjx; 2009-11-20 at 01:01. Reason: fix formatting typo

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
The premise of Paul Graham's article seems to apply quite well to the Ovi store too... While Maemo (so far) is quite open, Ovi seems to be quite the opposite, according to other recent threads around here.

Paul Graham's advice is something Nokia's strategists should take a long hard look at, real soon. While they still have potential advantage in this area. It won't last forever.