Has anyone used a USB power pack with a N900? I decided to get one because a couple of times I have been out and about with a flat battery and no way to charge it.

I bought one that looked like a real bargain on eBay, holds 4 AAA batteries and charges them from a USB socket. Then you flick a switch and it provides USB power through a different socket to a device such as a N900. The trouble is, it didn't work. I plugged it in to my N900 and it didn't charge it.

Has anyone found one that does work with the N900? I know that Nokia have one of their own (DC-11) but it's a bit pricey and I was looking for something a bit cheaper, plus that one doesn't seem to hold a lot of charge. I really like the idea of one that takes AAA or AA batteries, it's easy to carry a few spare ones.

Dave.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
If it's not official and doesn't follow the standards you'll have to short/solder the D+ and D- pins.

The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
I bought a DC-11 of ebay and it has been wonderfully useful. Mainly for my daughter with my old N95 and my wife for her 6210.

However whilst it is ok for the N900 it will not charge my N900 once the battery indicator goes below 1/2 way. I think this will be the case for all these battery powered devices. better to use them to keep the battery topped up

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany / Mainz
Due to the 'intelligence' in the batterie circuit you have to shortcut the data lines of the USB port.

See this :

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=charge+usb

The Following User Says Thank You to mason For This Useful Post:
Posts: 128 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Switzerland
I am using the Powermonkey Explorer for charging my N900, while traveling.

Its a very handy tool and using it for my other nokia phone and Ipod.

But it dosent have N900 tip, so had to order extra :-(

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
I'm using the Philips Universal USB AC Charger. It has 1000mAh. It can only charge the N900 around 50% and you have to be careful to plug it out after it reached the above charge otherwise it discharges the N900.
But I like it because it's compact and has the power adapter in the device as well so I can use it as power adapter too (thus when you charge your phone the battery in the charger charges too, and then you just have to take it w/ you as well)

Several different USB-chargers can be made to work by connecting D+ and D- pins together.
Three examples here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...395#post591395

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Las Palmas
The Nokia one came in the box with the phone.... and it works perfectly. Will recharge the phone from zero, twice, before it needs recharging itself. Also charges my wifes N95.

Cheers,

Barrie

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
The Nokia one came in the box with the phone.... and it works perfectly. Will recharge the phone from zero, twice, before it needs recharging itself. Also charges my wifes N95.

Cheers,

Barrie
You got an USB power pack w/ your N900 ?!

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Las Palmas
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
You got an USB power pack w/ your N900 ?!
Yes, and all for 550 euros......