Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by many408 View Post
Unit is N800, I'm ok with cli stuff but know more about cp/m than linux.
CP/M instead of *nix? I'm speechless...

So I want the turbo kernel and rotation support and all that.
If you want rotation support you need to have CSSU installed first. Have you installed it already?

First step seems to be (after downloading all the debs) to install oss-software-version-rx34-unlocked.

apt-get tells me it can't due to a conflict with osso-software-version-variant.

So I'm stuck; help please...
Please paste here the console output of apt-get install

Further questions:

I'm updating a kernel - where does that live? On the sd card, or in the n800 internal flash? Do I have to do anything special to make sure the turbo kernel is what is loaded when it boots from the sd card?
The internal flash is divided into 4 partitions. 1st one contains the lock password, R&D flags, which partition to boot from, and other data. 2nd one contains the kernel. 3rd one contains initfs, a small filesystem used when booting, here is where you installed the bootmenu. 4th one contains the main OS partition, this one is used only if you have selected to boot from internal flash.
Since the kernel is the first thing loaded at boot, it'll use the same kernel no matter where you boot from.

I have a bunch of stuff on the same card that it boots from - will installing the turbo kernal etcetera remove all that?
Not at all.

Sometimes the n800 burps or reboots or something and it goes back to the plain vanilla desktop that I had before I got it to boot from the sd card; I presume that somehow it is getting confused and (re-)booting from there - is that right, is it indicative of a problem, how can I fix it?
It indicates a problem with bootmenu.
If you always boot from the sd card and just use the internal flash as backup, you can uninstall bootmenu and configure the tablet to boot from sd first and flash second. Then, to boot from internal flash, you just pull out the sd card before turning on the device.
Wishlist: hardware hack to put a 3 megapixel camera in place of the 300k one.

Last edited by maacruz; 2011-06-08 at 21:04.

I remember there was rotation long before cssu existed as an idea. Are you thinking of N900?

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Canada
The CSSU is the simplest way to install rotation support on the N8x0's. It existed before, but became "standard" with the CSSU.

------------
If you want rotation support you need to have CSSU installed first. Have you installed it already?
-------------
No. What drew my attention initially was the neato power-button-menu, then I read a bit about the ssu, and then the turbo kernel, and I thought that would be the first thing to do. Can't do that? Ok, what's step one then.
----------------
--------------
Ok:

/home/user # apt-get install osso-software-version-rx34-unlocked
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
osso-software-version-rx34: Conflicts: osso-software-version-variant
osso-software-version-rx34-unlocked: Conflicts: osso-software-version-variant
pygtkeditor: Depends: python2.5-pygtksourceview but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).
/home/user #

( I did apt-get -f install after the first time apt-get suggested it, this output is from after the -f install command)
----------------
The internal flash is divided into 4 partitions. 1st one contains the lock password, R&D flags, which partition to boot from, and other data. 2nd one contains the kernel. 3rd one contains initfs, a small filesystem used when booting, here is where you installed the bootmenu. 4th one contains the main OS partition, this one is used only if you have selected to boot from internal flash.
Since the kernel is the first thing loaded at boot, it'll use the same kernel no matter where you boot from.
-----------
Got that, all makes sense now.

(this forum quoting thing is funny, it only does one level deep quotes it seems, oh well)

(in re my question about booting issues...)
--------------
It indicates a problem with bootmenu.
If you always boot from the sd card and just use the internal flash as backup, you can uninstall bootmenu and configure the tablet to boot from sd first and flash second. Then, to boot from internal flash, you just pull out the sd card before turning on the device.
--------------
Ok, I'll dig around and see if I can figure out how to fix that.

Thanks, and do keep going...

------------
-------------
No. What drew my attention initially was the neato power-button-menu, then I read a bit about the ssu, and then the turbo kernel, and I thought that would be the first thing to do. Can't do that? Ok, what's step one then.
Step one: install CSSU
Step two: install DT
Step three: install Advanced-systemui and Telescope
----------------
--------------
Ok:

/home/user # apt-get install osso-software-version-rx34-unlocked
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
osso-software-version-rx34: Conflicts: osso-software-version-variant
osso-software-version-rx34-unlocked: Conflicts: osso-software-version-variant
pygtkeditor: Depends: python2.5-pygtksourceview but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).
/home/user #
We'll address this once you have successfully installed CSSU

Got that, all makes sense now.

(this forum quoting thing is funny, it only does one level deep quotes it seems, oh well)
As you can see, it can do nested levels.

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Step one: install CSSU
Step two: install DT
Step three: install Advanced-systemui and Telescope

We'll address this once you have successfully installed CSSU

As you can see, it can do nested levels.
Ok I got the CSSU installed, still getting the conflict with osso-software-version-variant when I try to install the unlocked version.

Did apt-get -f install and no change.

Just checked and extras-devel is enabled.

What now?

Ok I got the CSSU installed, still getting the conflict with osso-software-version-variant when I try to install the unlocked version.

What now?
try apt-get -bd-install

What now?
Just to be sure, let's check the variant you have installed.
Code:
dpkg-query osso-software-version-*
It should be osso-software-version-rx34
Then, uninstall the package using dpkg and install the unlocked one with apt-get
The CSSU repository must be enabled
Code:
dpkg -r osso-software-version-rx34
apt-get install osso-software-version-rx34-unlocked

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Just to be sure, let's check the variant you have installed.
Code:
dpkg-query osso-software-version-*
It should be osso-software-version-rx34
That gets me
dpkg-query: need an action option

That gets me
dpkg-query: need an action option
And dpkg-query -L osso-software-version-* gets me

Package 'osso-software-version-*' is not installed.

I have package-view on this thing; it says I have rx34, so will proceed with the next two steps...

Tags
chinook, diablo, new life, os2008