Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by qole View Post
  • Really easy-to-use, newbie-oriented script(s) to untar the image file to a specified place, catching and dealing with problems (no bzip2 package installed? maybe "apt-get install bzip2" for the user and try again)
For that one, I would use dpkg -i on a bzip2 deb file instead.
Using apt-get assumes internet connection and a repo with it already in there.
(Granted, bzip2 is in extras but that's in chinook extras and people have flashed to diablo now, so you don't see it and on a new flash, extras is disabled by default).

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Hey Qole,

I tried out this newest v0.2.2 and it initially took forever to load and then once it was mostly loaded - locked up my device and I had to reboot Didn't even get so far as to see if the icons were in fact working or not. Sorry.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I'll PM you my e-mail, but I'll offer you a barter solution. You can help me, or pay me, or pay me half and help me a bit... whatever you want.

I really need an experienced shell scripter's help getting my easy debian chroot package put together. I'm really close, but it needs a bit of spit-and-polish before it is ready to be released to the "masses".

Like your KDE package, my package uses a big image file that is mounted by a script. I need to make the initial post-download untarring as easy as possible, with as little use of the command line as possible. I also want to make the postinst and chroot scripts as fool-resistant as possible.

I want newbies to be able to run OpenOffice, AbiWord, and FireFox with Java. My ultimate goal is to let non-guru-types install anything their hearts desire and play around with it. You want to try out Evolution because you've got an Exchange server you just have to have access to? Or you would love to do some batch image processing with ImageMagick but you don't want to hunt all over the 'net for the Maemo packages? Just fire up Synaptic, install the packages, and go!

So the help I need:
  • Really easy-to-use, newbie-oriented script(s) to untar the image file to a specified place, catching and dealing with problems (no bzip2 package installed? maybe "apt-get install bzip2" for the user and try again)
  • Clean up the chroot script, make it more flexible and problem-resistant (check to see if the chroot is already mounted, etc)
  • Optionally, get the right mouse click mapped to the + HW key using this hack

I have a KDE installer package that is a deb and perfect for this. I was gonna ask johnx if he wanted me to do this already. I can tar up my directory for the built deb and give this to you. My deb downloads the BIG tarball using wget and is restartable if the network connection is lost. It then uses md5sum to verify before installing. I would bzip and tar inside the install package, I dont like unmet dependencies

As for the other stuff I would be happy to take a look
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
You have sent $40.00 USD to XXXXXXXXX. An email will be sent to the recipient.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
Hey Qole,

I tried out this newest v0.2.2 and it initially took forever to load and then once it was mostly loaded - locked up my device and I had to reboot Didn't even get so far as to see if the icons were in fact working or not. Sorry.
That's weird! I'm sorry that happened to you! I always install my own stuff as a test, and it worked here... I'll check again...

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-25 at 16:54.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I must say that it is ironic that the very day that I finish building a diving suit for the MicroB browser, the maemo team give it gills. Welcome, Diablo.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
You have sent $10.00 CAN to XXXXXXXXX. An email will be sent to the recipient.

The Following User Says Thank You to smog For This Useful Post:
Has anyone else tested the deb with the working icons? Does it install correctly or is it broken?

Or is everyone happy with the no-address-bar Diablo browser in KDE?

Has anyone else tested the deb with the working icons? Does it install correctly or is it broken?

Or is everyone happy with the no-address-bar Diablo browser in KDE?
To be honest I never tested, I have been happy even without the menubar

That said, I again do appreciate the work you did here. I plan to have some more fun with xephyr when time permits?

How goes that install process?

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
How goes that install process?
Really well. My install .deb will put two icons in "Extras," "Install to MMC1" and "Install to MMC2" and running one of them will download and extract the big tar file to the chosen card, and then clean everything up, including removing the icons...

Tags
bounty, deprecated, kde, kde35, penguinbait, qoled