Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Yeah, I've also ordered one yesterday + the aloe TOH. Primarily as a gesture of support but also for some future proofing, just in case.
That's a really good idea. I think I'll do the same.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
certainly there aren't too many good news this days and yes, it's said to be a temporarly layoff. That might be the end of jolla as we've known it so far, but that might not necessarily the end of sfos.

having a sailors name, i've to say that an overturn is no fatal wreckage. I had to swim back to catch my jolly-boat more than once and I allways made it and kept on sailing stronger than before!

The Following User Says Thank You to alfredquack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
You may be right. I lived through three waves of redundancies at a certain company in a span of two years and was caught in the fourth. The future did not look good and I predicted another wave in the next 6 months. I was wrong. There have been some restructurings and one or two individuals made redundant but no more big waves. The company is doing as strong as ever. Jolla may recover in a similar way. That is my secret (well, not any more ) hope.

There is a difference though. In case of my ex employer, there was no big exodus of C?Os. That is the bit that worries me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
http://www.digitoday.fi/bisnes/2015/...n/201515350/66

Jolla will have debt restructuring. (more info soon on that Finnish link..)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
anyways its no good to keep mourning and whining. If they make it - great! If they don't - live goes on.

I still hope for the first one, and if not I'm happy that I was a sailor and will be pleased everytime I use my jolla!

So I see the sign on the wall, but that doesn't change my attitude.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alfredquack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
http://www.digitoday.fi/bisnes/2015/...n/201515350/66

Jolla will have debt restructuring. (more info soon on that Finnish link..)
Here in English, the official Press release: https://jolla.com/wp-content/uploads...5_FINAL_61.pdf

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to caprico For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
To sadly continue with reporting on familiar faces leaving Jolla (even if not sure if temporary/permanently or voluntarity/involuntarily), the next in the row is Iekku Pylkkä as she announced her departure in a tweet less than half than hour ago.

Originally Posted by Iekku
When closing an door; another opens. Left #Jolla today, but I will continue contribution to #SailfishOS as cbeta member. Future is open. o>

Also, Carol Chen (cybette) posted this tweet at around the same time:

Originally Posted by [URL=cybette
Thanks #JollaCommunity + sailors for all the fish (pun intended). Till we meet again, keep rowing/singing! #Jolla<3

so it looks like she may have been the next.

Let's hope it's not permanent (there is some hope in Iekku's tweet), but let's thank them both for their work and wish them luck for their next projects/career/life nevertheless!

PS: Given how Iekku was moderating Thursday's Mer meeting and then scheduling the next one for this week, it looks like her departure came quite unexpected.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-11-23 at 16:09.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
And there's sadly one additional person I missed.

On Friday, the Senior Designer at Jolla, Jaakko Roppola decided to leave Jolla. He is one of the fathers of the unique and beautiful SailfishOS UI, so his departure is very unfortunate (IMHO one of the best talents Jolla had). He even helped with some designs for 3rd party apps when developers approached him and he was always open to discussion about the UI.

Here are his tweets explaining the situation:

Originally Posted by JaakkoRoppola
That was my last day at @JollaHQ. Feels weird, relaxed. I'll finally have time for my family and friends. #layoff

@schmittlauch Thank you. It's a temporary layoff. It was my personal decision to make the situation permanent.

@Matteo_Sibilla Permanent one. I chose to leave. Layoff would've made many things complicated.

@noerde @iCODeRUS Normal stuff. Designers are rarely needed in maintenance mode. Makes what money is left to last longer.
Again, thank you, Jaakko and let's hope your extraordinary designs will be seen in other projects in the future.

EDIT: The feeling when you try to contribute to the discussion with some valuable information so you write a post in an informative (sourced) and respectful manner, but then someone like Dave999 comes in...

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-11-23 at 16:34.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Has anyone arrested Marc Dillon & Co yet? They could at least buy us a beer after this semiScam.

Is it ok for a company to use crowdfunding money to what ever. Can I say I will create a cheap android with top notch specs for $50 or whatever and then use the money for rent and personal tech?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-11-23 at 16:45.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Sorry, but I'm afraid you are taking this too far now...

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: