Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Big plus to booting from the 3 joerg!

And malfunctioning ....sir ...you definitely do not live up to your name...
Malfunctioning ...indeed!
I'd say you are performing optimally.
functioning on all cylinders in fact.
I am TOTALLY and unequivocally in absolute favour of the option to have the ability to go battery-less and run off AC. That would free up the future difficulty of finding (then) discontinued batteries...making us far less reliant on a corporate provider ....or the sellers desire to hike prices astronomically...or at the mercy of resold old used ones, or frauds and fakes.
HAHA. Thank you, endsormeans. I wish I would have gotten some extra sleep lately though.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one averse to devices relying on proprietary batteries, and also glad to know this is being addressed with the Neo900.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have to agree with nokiabot. It is better to have a central place for all source of information, rather than having people scouring for it all over the place. The Neo website is an obvious place for such a hub, this thread is the next.

As a rule of thumb, if you put information in more than one place, people will a) come to the one place they know and ask questions already asked and answered elsewhere, and/or b) lose interest.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I disagree with you, information on IRC logs is not final and may lead to some unreal expectations from the project.

P.S. kerio and lennart poettering is good example of why irc logs should not be posted as source of information.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by DDark View Post
I disagree with you, information on IRC logs is not final and may lead to some unreal expectations from the project.
P.S. kerio and lennart poettering is good example of why irc logs should not be posted as source of information.
are you trolling ??
its a discusion channel not official announcements channel there is neo900.org for that and maybe /topic at the least should be updated might your saying goes true

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
are you trolling ??
Absolutely not.

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
its a discusion channel not official announcements channel there is neo900.org for that and maybe /topic at the least should be updated might your saying goes true
I think that if Irc-logs going to be published in some "official" source , they must be published with some sort of statement that will say that information is only discussed and should not be taken as final. I don't think that discussions like geiger counter(iirc it was on channel) inside neo900 were meant to be more public than just discussion on irc channel.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
That's fine, IRC is for internal discussions. That is not a source of information. It does not cintradict what I said. The problem starts when people involved in such internal discussions get carried away, never lift their noses from IRC and forget that there are information channels for the public at large.

Not that I am implying in any way that tbis is happening here

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
IRC is just another communication channel with shorter response time. Which in turn leads to a more interactive dialog-alike communication. This however doesn't have any impact on the "worthiness" of anything stated there. It's just that I don't think users should get pointed to IRC logs as source of info, since what's getting discussed there is not meant for concise and unambiguous announcement. There's lots of noise in IRC, and discussions there are for participation, not recipitation from logs. Logs are for reference only, and for IRC users to catch up when they lost half a day of context. Thus I think it's perfect to have those links in /topic of IRC channel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 68 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Melbourne, Australia
Cannot believe people will want to pay peanuts (300EU) for what is essentially a quantum-leap in phone technology, at least from an open-source and privacy point of view! At this rate, the project won't get far without charging over 700EU for the phone. Out of reach of most hackers I would think.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elcaito For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Yup I cannot disagree... it is a pretty penny...
But it is worth it on soooo many fronts.
Here is my guestimate.
There are a whole world of people who would love a phone/ computer with less closed bits, more private, more secure, more hackable, more...um flexible all around.
The price ...at the moment is a hurdle for many...
New kid on the block syndrome as well...

But here is my take....

-Just wait until there are the 300+ units ....300+ of the lil' desirable devils runnin' around....

-Just wait until you, your neighbours...co-workers and peers see the the reviews...sees them in action...

-And as I have said...if my (still in use almost a decade later) n8x0's and my (almost 5 yr old partially closed and crippled) n900 can still outperform in some areas what other new models can't do...then how long can you guess at the lifespan of a well thought out device and os?
5-10?
maybe less than ten...maybe more with upgrades ...?
THAT makes it worth it ...
I'm not interested in buying a new smartphone every 2nd or 3rd year....THAT IS the price of the neo!
Having to buy into planned corporate obsolescence? Me? Not interested.

Just wait for the 2nd and 3rd runs...it'll get cheaper...the more people "see" them.
It may never be as popular as droid, M$, or iphone....
On the other hand ...
It may ...and the philosophy may take the world by storm...

Sadly alot of people have little in the way of vision or imagination...let alone the ability to speculate ahead in time.
But that and other factors just make it easier for the neo...
The neo....this kind of device...is exactly what is needed at exactly the right point in time. Between what the competition is offering and how they are closing things up (no root ability in the future for android?!?!) and making a mess of what advantage they got (bendgate and the recalled ios) ....the alternative choice being what? a win phone? the tizen (teasin' ) hope? A Jolla with an increasingly dissatisfied user base of people who just want a new battery ...only to find they have to buy a whole new phone just to get the battery? .. don't forget all the coat-tail riding innovation at a snail pace...toss in a tablespoon of edward snowden and a pinch of Assange ...and voila!
The stars are in perfect alignment.
Never a better time.
I'd almost hazard the pinky of god it/ her/ hisself was at work just to make the climate favourable and the sun shine a little warmer just for the neo

there we go....zealotry rant ended for the day

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2014-10-27 at 05:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Wall'o'text
The problem is that nowadays most people want the shinies.
They want a phone that looks good (according to them), and that's it.
They don't care what's inside as long as it can run their dumb games and the lot of social networking shenanigans.
That's the very reason there's so many people going over crApple stuff... and Android is barely better.

So, as much as I would like it, I'm not really expecting the Neo900 to make a dent in a market full of Androids and iCrap, not with a bulky device with such a small screen.
Don't get me wrong, *I* love the N900 form-factor, but it's outdated nonetheless.

The best we can hope is to get hackers' and Open hardware/software proponents' attention (and of course also people that place their privacy above said shinies).
I'm cool with that, though I'll still cross my fingers in hope the project will get more exposure whenever it's released.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!