Posts: 93 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Bavaria Germany
Originally Posted by sjukfan View Post
Yay!

With Skype being proprietary, Facebook being Facebook, and WhatsApp also being Facebook. It feels like Telegram is the wisest direction to move when it comes to Internet messenger, even if it's not so popular yet.

Good ist the enemy of better.
But where is Skype?

The Following User Says Thank You to DeadHorseRiding For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Is there any way to use Pidgin/libpurple/libpurple plugins on the N9? There's a lot of those plugins we could use. telegram-purple as an example. purple-facebook is also good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjukfan For This Useful Post:
IIRC, a purple plugin pack was provided for N9 which was nicely integrated into its accounts system. Therefore, it should be possible to provide other plugins too. But I think that would need some integration work too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hedayat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by DeadHorseRiding View Post
http://image.slidesharecdn.com/weare...?cb=1438587336

Good ist the enemy of better.
But where is Skype?
And where is the stupid 'hangouts'? 😯

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 405 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Europe
"Source: Company statement"

Here you will never see any XMPP-User. Please, stop promoting all the proprietary stuff and start using clean XMPP.

There are a lot of free available servers. If you don't trust them, just install your own. My account is running on my own Raspberry Pi which is located in the most trustful space: my home

There are good apps for any platform: Linux, Windows, Android, Meego, Sailfish. Most of them can also use OTR for end-2-end encryption.

All the XMPP-servers communicate with each other via TLS and forward secrecy. Which of the commercial systems can provide such functionality?

Sailfish is using Telepathy-Gabble which support OTR, Streams-Transfer and a lot more of XMPP-features.

Just torture them with questions until they provide all of the features in the GUI!

XMPP is very flexible. Its very easy to use it as bot for e.g. automations. You have stable libraries for C++/Java/Perl/Python/...

So tell me, why using something like Whatsapp???

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chrm For This Useful Post:
I've already written about it. XMPP is great, but for many users it doesn't provide the same features that such proprietary services provide. Mainly, it has poor 'offline messaging' support. I've experienced many 'lost messages' with XMPP (well, it is/was mainly an 'instant messaging' protocol). It doesn't support 'offline' file transfers, which effectively removes support for audio/video/image messages which can be sent when the other user is not online.

No, current XMPP is NOT a replacement for messaging protocols/applications.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hedayat For This Useful Post:
Offline message is just a question of server configuration. My prosody server collects and deliver everything if the user is online again.

File transfer is using end-to-end, so yes, its not possible to save MBs of stuff on the server - from my point of view its ok.

Conversations has an plugin for storing files on web servers and offer the download hyperlink via XMPP. This allows users to download stuff later or to share it in XMPP-MUCs (Chatrooms).

There are a lot of possibilities. The commercial systems do not make something special, they just do it in one place - which lets the user lost completely his privacy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrm For This Useful Post:
Possibilities is not enough. We need: 1. an integrated, streamlined implementation 2. Service providers for it

hedayat, you have never tried Conversations on Android, right?
Open Source, full featured, active development and a lot of features.

Service providers? Just choose one:
https://xmpp.net/directory.php
https://www.jabberes.org/servers/

Own server? No problem:
https://prosody.im/
https://www.ejabberd.im/

What do you want more?
I use XMPP since 2001. All my contacts now use it to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrm For This Useful Post:
Nope, I don't have an android phone. Does Conversation use the providers you mentioned for uploading files? If you can seemlessly send files using Conversation and they appear inline like text messages, then yes, this is what I'm looking for. I've tried Jitsi, it doesn't support server based file transfers, and I've experienced "lost messages" with their own service (jit.si). I've also experiences lost messages with google talk (when it supported xmpp).