Active Topics

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Raise your virtual hand if you think Nokia should hire this designer... (who by the way is looking for work according to his website)

I don't have any ties or connection to this person what so ever but I have to say I was impressed with the design ideas and even more with the process how he got the ideas that he then turned into concepts. This sounds like true way of getting feedback and turning them into something more concrete...

"Since Mozilla Labs launched the Concept Series with an open call for participation we’ve had thousands of people join in, share ideas and develop concepts around Firefox, the Mozilla projects and the Open Web as a whole.

In response to our open call Billy May, in early 2009, produced a throw-away concept for an “Open Web Concept Phone”. Working directly off of that community feedback, Billy has since finished the exploration with his concept “Seabird”."

Here is the youtube video for the people who don't want to go see it from the Mozilla project site...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG3tLxEQEdg

For more info go check out the following links:

http://mozillalabs.com/conceptseries...09/23/seabird/

http://www.billy-may.com/

Best regards,
ezcola

Last edited by ezcola; 2010-09-24 at 16:57. Reason: added youtube link

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ezcola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Only thing I liked was the "split screen projection" of the keyboard and mini touch pad, the layout (not the projection idea) is one I had not seen before.

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
I don't know. I keep seeing these great looking concepts and that's that. Maybe these guys haven't just met realities yet, but i do like some of the ideas.
Anyways i love the current industrial design Nokia got going with E7, N8(and seems to be hitting N9 too) so design for me is one of the last things Nokia needs to improve IMO.

Btw Nokia got something in that direction in 2007.
The Nokia Eco Concept.

Last edited by tissot; 2010-09-24 at 19:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Only thing I liked was the "split screen projection" of the keyboard and mini touch pad, the layout (not the projection idea) is one I had not seen before.
Yeah... I my self wasn't really into many of the actual design elements like the "hump-back" but the fact that there has been some serious out-of-the-box thinking and using the vast idea-resources of actual first hand feedback from the commenters was the thing that resonated to me with this project and designer.

The Following User Says Thank You to ezcola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I vote they hire wazd instead.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I don't know. I keep seeing these great looking concepts and that's that. Maybe these guys haven't just met realities yet, but id o like some of the ideas.
Anyways i love the current industrial design Nokia got going with E7, N8(and seems to be hitting N9 too) so design for me is one of the last things Nokia needs to improve IMO.

Btw Nokia got something in that direction in 2007.
The Nokia Eco Concept.
Yes, I agree that it is sad to see many brilliant concept ideas for mobile devices and in all technology that will just "never" see the light of day due to technical limitations or (even sader) company politics and bureaucracy...

I also like the new sleek and simplified look and feel of the new Nokia line of devices.

I hadn't seen this concept... looks interesting. I have to take a look.

You can draw any device your artistic abilities allow. Drawing stuff is easy. It is building stuff that usually causes the most problems, considering the available battery dimensions and capacity, antennas placement, the current state of nanoprojection technology, and so forth. Once you consider all these factors, the Searbird becomes just what it is - a drawing made by an arts student.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Interesting, but how would you video chat with this thing?

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
absolutely not! those projection keyboards are the worst keyboards right after banging a computer case with hammer to input text....

e: should nokia hire me if I manage to scrape up a phone looking model that is 0,5mm thick, with full 105 char physical kb? Then I just add a note with specs: fullHDx4 aka 4K screen, 50000000 lumen projector with same resolution, surpasses modern super computers with its hw and has 100 year battery duration with 3g+wlan constantly @max tx/rx? In addition I can use Catia so I must be hired!
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-09-24 at 18:12.

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by ossipena
--
I would love to see a post where you write it with a happy smile.

The Following User Says Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post: