Poll: Do you agree and support my idea?
Poll Options
Do you agree and support my idea?

1) If you like Android THAT MUCH, then make the jump you won't regret it.
Android has become much much better than what it was before, 2.1 ,or even earlier to v1.5

2) One solution to your problem would be to port Dalvik to Maemo 5/6. This has been done with a really great performance by myriad's Alien Dalvik but they are not selling it to individuals and no-one is buying. So unless they opensource it, or someone hacks into their mainframe and leaks the build, you will never* see an Android VM running on ARM-Linux .

3) The other option is to get an android device with unlocked bootloader and root, and join in the development of Qtdroid, Android-Lighthouse, Necessitas. This brings the power of KDE / Qt to Android. Which means with a custom kernel...you can run actual linux programs inconjunction with Android. The only problem is some applications need light tweeking to get working (mostly due to the package management rpm/deb).

4) Last resort is to get an Android device. With unlocked bloader and root, get it to Dual Boot.
And use Android most of the time. When you get bored/want linux ... then chroot (a very light) Ubuntu build. It will run all your Debian files, however there are inconsistencies, laaag and sometimes even hangs!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Welland, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
what a load of BS - your head up your *** much ?

here is a hint - even the tech savy use iPhones and Android (Linus uses Android, and how many IT professionals use Android/Apple compared to N900?) - why ? are they all idiots and somehow YOU are the genius ? or maybe just PERHAPS they are doing it for a reason ?

The willingness to pull the wool over your own eyes astounds me - but then again cults exist everywhere, even in the FOSS world.

No wonder FOSS keeps getting its *** kicked in the mobile world - with a user base like you, who needs enemies ?

Disclaimer - FOSS is good, but to deny there are benefits to other platforms just shows how... bah nvm - its like talking to a wall.
Thanks for understanding. I think that we are also social beings as much as we are individuals. We can use a phone that suits us and gives us all freedom but if that is not letting us use Whatsapp to talk to family members and friends abroad or not letting us use fring to make cheap international phone calls or some other important uses. Thats why I want to contribute ideas for seeking solutions for the platform's shortcomings...

Not everyone who owns a phone knows everything about it.
I live in Canada and everyone who buys a BlackBerry, buy it only because all their friends are on BlackBerry.
All kinds of apps were available before iPhone. But, the reason why iPhone was successful because it made it available very easily.
Because people who are specialized in the service industry don't need to be versatile in computer tech to be able to download apps from random websites and setup PC Suites and figure out how to install the app in their phones...
They'd rather pay $0.99 to get it from a strictly controlled store and don't worry about spywares or its quality or performance.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
1) If you like Android THAT MUCH, then make the jump you won't regret it.
Android has become much much better than what it was before, 2.1 ,or even earlier to v1.5

2) One solution to your problem would be to port Dalvik to Maemo 5/6. This has been done with a really great performance by myriad's Alien Dalvik but they are not selling it to individuals and no-one is buying. So unless they opensource it, or someone hacks into their mainframe and leaks the build, you will never* see an Android VM running on ARM-Linux .

3) The other option is to get an android device with unlocked bootloader and root, and join in the development of Qtdroid, Android-Lighthouse, Necessitas. This brings the power of KDE / Qt to Android. Which means with a custom kernel...you can run actual linux programs inconjunction with Android. The only problem is some applications need light tweeking to get working (mostly due to the package management rpm/deb).

4) Last resort is to get an Android device. With unlocked bloader and root, get it to Dual Boot.
And use Android most of the time. When you get bored/want linux ... then chroot (a very light) Ubuntu build. It will run all your Debian files, however there are inconsistencies, laaag and sometimes even hangs!
I am with basic android since I sold N900. I wanted to buy an economical Pentaband phone. Galaxy Nexus is expensive and not very good looking to me.
I wanted to treat myself with a good looking phone and thats why I was looking at N9...
Also I don't like Google 's push to integrate all google services and shove it down my throat with one account. Soon that I can realise, I am pretty sure, they will allow only one account for all their apps on Android. I don't want them to track my video viewing habits because they still remember it even after I clear history. This is just plain BIG Brotherhood...
I think Android's UI is not elegant. I want it simple like N9 and the the software to be intrmixable like N900.

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Just to get some things straight:
What he had in mind was to write a good terminal emulator for his x86 computer to access his university's UNIX servers. When he realized that he had in fact written an operating system, which happened to be somehow Minix-compatible he released it. One of the reasons was that in his opinion Minix was too expensive for students. See: Linux is obsolete [1]
Afaik he never had in mind to write an OS because the ones that were out there were bloaty or buggy and if Minix or BSD had been Free back then he would have never started Linux (as a kernel).

The one who was frustrated with existing OSes (even before Linus thought about Linux) because they were restrictive (and therefore in his view buggy) was Richard Stallman. This is why he started the GNU project which unfortunately never made it to write a working kernel (HURD - it works today but still lacks lots of functionality which one would expect from a modern kernel), mainly because their standards were too high. Linux came in as a stopgap because it was a Free and WORKING kernel while BSD was still blocked due to AT&T's intervention which has probably set Free Software and Unix back for five years or so.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/comp....47530d082cd95d
Sorry. I didn't put enough effort to have correct info on it. I will see to it I don't do it in future.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
LET'S MAKE SUPER HAPPY FUN TIME FULL ANDROIDS VM ON N9!!!

JUST LIKE LINUS DID WHEN HE MAKE FULL WINDOWS VM ON LINUX!!!

What the HELL didn't anyone think of this before? Thank you, yaavarumKaeleer. You are truly a visionary and have saved all of Meego land.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Anyway, the current comunity effort seems to be here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ beijing-islamabad
idea is not bad but truly tell you ,android sucks till tail .Its like garbage,you cant find anything like mplayer there in android . It would be better if you could just talk about Qt components which bring harmattan and fremantle more close,work on them.Android is not any solution ,Between we already have got android running on N900 so it doesnt worth any more than that .Though i will vote for bringing maemo and harmattan more close .

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Just to get some things straight:
What he had in mind was to write a good terminal emulator for his x86 computer to access his university's UNIX servers. When he realized that he had in fact written an operating system, which happened to be somehow Minix-compatible he released it. One of the reasons was that in his opinion Minix was too expensive for students. See: Linux is obsolete [1]
Afaik he never had in mind to write an OS because the ones that were out there were bloaty or buggy and if Minix or BSD had been Free back then he would have never started Linux (as a kernel).

The one who was frustrated with existing OSes (even before Linus thought about Linux) because they were restrictive (and therefore in his view buggy) was Richard Stallman. This is why he started the GNU project which unfortunately never made it to write a working kernel (HURD - it works today but still lacks lots of functionality which one would expect from a modern kernel), mainly because their standards were too high. Linux came in as a stopgap because it was a Free and WORKING kernel while BSD was still blocked due to AT&T's intervention which has probably set Free Software and Unix back for five years or so.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/comp....47530d082cd95d
[off topic]Just referring back to the post-Maemo strategy thread, the Hurd is the pure FOSS option you presented, and Linux is the get everything working using closed binary blobs and gradually replace them option I advocated [/off topic]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Do you think that the lack of apps is solved by basically co-opting your adversary ecosystem and making it stronger? Then why should anyone else choose you, the hybrid, instead of the real Android?

Without Nokia being involved, there's no hope, no real hope, for MeeGo Harmattan. While they keep a skunkworks team developing Maemo7 Meltemi and some of that work gets shipped out as Harmattan code, we're OK. e.g., Dropbox integration - either Nokia does it or Dropbox does it, Harmattan is not a mainstream platform with > 10 million users, Nokia isn't paying Dropbox, Nokia had to do it or be laughed at. It could do it for Meltemi, they did it now, it will be tested on the N9 and the code will certainly migrate for the most part to Meltemi. Same thing with DLNA "AirPlay" (HDMI cables are so yesterday!).

Next up: Kindle and Adobe Reader support, please, why do even Linux phones with a nuisance like Aegis still get shafted without clients for DRMd formats. That's what it takes for a system to be taken seriously.

Last edited by tigas; 2012-01-31 at 19:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tigas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
[off topic]Just referring back to the post-Maemo strategy thread, the Hurd is the pure FOSS option you presented, and Linux is the get everything working using closed binary blobs and gradually replace them option I advocated [/off topic]
True!
In fact Hurd is quite useable these days, unfortunately it's 20 years late. But I seriously consider to switch to Debian/kFreeBSD. The only thing that stops me is VirtualBox (OSE of course).

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: