Active Topics

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post
Hmmm, I was so proud to buy a used N900 for 60 euros, now the GPS, main reason for buying, appears to be broken. It really was too good to be true.
Anyone interested?
Where do you live?
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
It's not perfect but I really like it - yup, N900 is my main phone. Use a battered N70 as a backup or holiday phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
4 years ago it didn't exist : )

It came out fall 2009.

*You are an old N900 user, you should post more tbh

can you help me in making my N900 work...it needs to be flashed...followed wiki but other errors...
is there another place here for N900 doubts on flashing?

The Following User Says Thank You to legendracer For This Useful Post:
Using my N95 for last 2 years... Very useful device, and, completed 42378 WiFi Network catched with PyNetMony, between other useful things....
Exactly, the 31-12-12 i bought my N900, migrating from Symbian to Maemo was difficult to me... But, now, i love my N900! , i thinking in buying another one...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Custard! SandS For This Useful Post:
I'm still using my N900 as a primary phone... its around 2 years and cant find anything equivalent to it... I tried getting an android phone for playing purpose but they are really bad even to play with...(lagging)... finally ended up buying Note 10.1 for that purpose, and... I'm still keeping N900 as my primary until I find something in next half a decade or so...lol (just kidding)

Off-topic: Anyone here noticed the thread number... (88888)

The Following User Says Thank You to TransTech For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I had the USB issue on my first N900, then got a last of the true New N900s from NewEgg(also got burned by a Chinese "new" bad refurb brick). I used a sucession of Zaurus form 2001 to 2010 then moved up to a smartphone.

Lets see: real Linux, good camera, Sygic maps, boosted FM transmitter, FM receiver, USB host mode, cuteTube with music downloader, preenv and apkenv games, 720p video, double scud batteries, Palm inductive charge transplant, Overclocked video chip and CPU, swappolube, evopedia now with wikivoyage, chroot debian for regular linux apps, many apps specificaly for when internet is unavailable or when you only have a prepaid SIM card.
The N900 has the real app catalog rather than the 10k's of fart noise apps, online only web browser "apps", and expensive apps that still mine you for data like a chump.
The N900 is the last of the pirate hacker phones, the phone that an unsupervised lab at Nokia never should have been allowed to build and then release to the public. No wonder MSFT had to send a hit man to kill off Maemo and Nokia with it.
I dont know when we will see a dangerous phone like the N900 again, I just hope mine lasts a long time until a true sucessor dev phone with a solid build and every gadget and upgrade potential they can cram in appears.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Philippines, Singapore & Hong Kong
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
Ofcourse, but different device. It would be nice not emulate, but install Maemo as only OS in another phone. Example forth coming Jolla Phone or Nokia E7 or N950 or just Maemo terminal to Nokia 9500.
I had that in mind also teroyk.

1st idea: To install maemo 5 natively on an N9 hardware.

2nd idea: To be able to emulate maemo 5 while running meego/harmattan hardware & software simultaneously.

Then we can benchmark and compare the two.

Below are the mock images. In this example, I'm trying to switch active desktops.
Attached Images

Last edited by rmh; 2013-02-07 at 16:02.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Whne is the offical Maemo day? I need to know so I can charge my maemo devices. If maemo don't have a day We must create one fast...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Philippines, Singapore & Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Custard! SandS View Post
Using my N95 for last 2 years... Very useful device, and, completed 42378 WiFi Network catched with PyNetMony, between other useful things....
Exactly, the 31-12-12 i bought my N900, migrating from Symbian to Maemo was difficult to me... But, now, i love my N900! , i thinking in buying another one...
"But, now, i love my N900! , i thinking in buying another one..."

This is a classic example of what I'm trying to achieve. The N900 is already considered a legacy device and isn't any more in production. Plus the fact that the hardware has some flaws. That's why I'm asking the community if someone already initiated a project to port the maemo 5 os to run natively on an N9 or even a hint of being emulated while running the meego/harmattan software.

I think that Maemo 5 would be this fluid ( see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au_uRmoy8Fs ) when running it on an N9.

Last edited by rmh; 2013-02-07 at 16:34.

Originally Posted by rmh View Post
Just an observation. Since most of us here are still rooting ( pardon the pun ) for our beloved N900s, has anybody conceived yet / raised a request already to emulate the maemo 5 fremantle os using the N9 meego/harmattan hardware & software?

Below are my thoughts & ideas as to why this might be a feasible project:

- In terms of performance, imagine running the maemo 5 os an N9. Everything will be snappier.

- Nostalgia left & right. We have the panoramic desktop with all the widgets we're longing for and all the rest of the features of the fremantle os running on an N9.

- A multitude of apps that can run natively eliminating the need for porting.

These are just some of what I had in mind. Think of it this way guys, I love and miss my 8-bit NES graphics that's why I try to reconnect with them every once in a while with my PC.

What can I say? I'm a nostalgic type of guy who appreciates using a tried & tested platform.

regards to all,
rmh
The community has achieved and managed to run Android, Debian & Windows on the Maemo 5 OS.

Why not Maemo 5 on an N9?

I hope you guys understand my frustration. Thanks for listening.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmh For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900