Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Why am I not listed in the first post?.....
it's a pity if you ask me....

Edit: if it's only because I didn't answer some questions, here is my answer:

Why would I want to enter the council?
Isn't it obvious? We are all going for 1 goal: our community.

We want the best four our community; N900, N9, Neo900, Jolla, even Android (ports), and everything else that belongs that brings our community more close to each other.

Maemo.org is our home, and we all grew up within this house.
Even some are parted from this place, I'm very sure, that even those parted users are still carrying Maemo very deeply within their hearts....

That's all I want to say....

Last edited by HtheB; 2014-12-27 at 18:05.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
Candidates, What is your main phone now and over years ?
I currently use a Nokia N900, a Nokia N9, and (occassionally) a Nokia 808.

The Nokia N800 was the device that brought me into the maemo community. I had it tethered to a Sony Ericsson K550i. The K550i was my first unlocked, unsubsidized phone.

I am now on my third N900--I still find that the N900 fulfills my needs better than any other mobile device, so I still use it almost every day. However, I will be honest and also say that the N900 is very much a "jack of all trades but master of none", especially as we approach 2015. Thus, I will also use a Nokia N9 or a Nokia 808 depending on the situation. I do hope that the Neo900 will breathe more life into that N900 form factor with nicer hardware and some more developer interest.

Relatedly, I also have an OpenPandora and run a Debian-based OS (SolydX) on my laptop. So I have some familiarity with the goings-on with other communities/platforms that might be of interest to our community.

Last edited by klinglerware; 2014-12-28 at 21:44.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Like a few others.

Here are one/two more to answer:
What is your take on
- Neo900
- Jolla
Neo900:

I hope that it succeeds. I myself have donated in hopes of buying two of them.

I have, of course, seen the friction between one of the Neo900 project leads and members of the maemo community. It is concerning, as the Neo900 has good potential in revitalizing interest in maemo. Not only that, based on the experiences of OpenPandora, open-source hardware is not easy to pull off successfully--cooperation would seem more optimal than antagonism, on the face of it.

I think we do have to respect Joerg's wishes if he does not want to cooperate directly with the community. But since many members of our community (including me) are still interested in seeing the Neo900 succeed, we still can support development indirectly: by encouraging development discussion on the board, and by sponsoring coding competitions et al, with categories that also target development that is Neo900 specific. (The same can also be said for Diablo and Jolla).

Jolla:

My view of Jolla, in many ways, is similar to that of the Neo900 project. I hope they succeed.

I myself have not purchased a Jolla, primarily because the device does not support the 3G/LTE bands in use in my home country. However, I will certainly be interested if the next iteration of a Jolla phone does support my country's 3G networks. The ports of Sailfish to various Android devices show promise--I would give it a try if/when some of these ports become mature enough for an end user.

Finally, I have seen some friction between Jolla and members of the community. Similar to the Neo900, just because we do not have official sanction does not mean we should discourage communication or interest in Sailfish. A good percentage of maemo/meego users have moved to Sailfish and still use TMO as their "home base" for discussion. Even for folks who are not interested in using Sailfish, we should still encourage talk and development: oftentimes, development on one platform confers benefits for the others (note the several developers who provide fremantle, harmattan, and sailfish versions of their applications).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
What is your take on
- Neo900
- Jolla
Ooh I just noticed I missed these excellent questions by @peterleinchen...

So;

I have ordered the Neo900 device, as I earlier said in my introduction. I never have had an N900 though, so I do not know Fremantle and so am not sure if I am going to use it on my device. Probaly will at least try it.
I am intrested in running it with a Debian-based distro, if such is going to be available.

As for Jolla, that is my current device. I also have ordered TOHKBD2 for my device as I feel that Jolla really needs a HWKBD.
I also was among the first to order the Jolla Tablet, and currently am running SFOS on my Nexus7. (I should update my Nexus now that Vaarainjärvi 1.1.1.27 is out, maybe I'll do that soonish...)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
I also missed this one.

What is your take on
- Neo900
- Jolla
On Neo900: it's almost a wet-dream Having a N900 on steroids is my dream come true (OK, a fourth row on the keyboard would be even better).

I have obviously ordered one. Even though I don't know Joerg personally I have this irrational 100% trust that very few people in this world get from me. If I didn't have a chief accountant at home I would just throw money at this guy

So yes, Neo900 is high on my list. Porting Maemo is, while not a strict dependency, a really nice thing to have, and supporting this porting is something that I'd really like to support, even though the time I can dedicate to actual coding/debugging is almost zero.

On Jolla: even though I have never seen/touched a Jolla and I don't plan to buy one I consider it a nice development so it gets sympathy points from me. But for me no hardware keyboard means not buying.

On the software-side (Sailfish) I think it's nice for an end-user but I don't consider myself one. I prefer half-hacked deals where you get to break things and enjoy making something work.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Phone update: OnePlus 64gb running Nokia Z Launcher. Had an issue with the Nexus 5, got a replacement but opted for the OnePlus and so far enjoying it. Just not happy with the step back to KitKat.

Not interested in Neo900 at all... It just doesn't seem like it'll come out anytime soon. Nothing hardware related to the N900 seems to ever come out.

In regards to Jolla, I bought their tablet, since I'm in the US I didn't buy the phone; wanted something to run faster than 2G when I wasn't home. Jolla is interesting, but how it'll relate to the regular consumers and not the tinkerers is what I'm interested in seeing how that plays out.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
One exercise for the current candidates , try to attend tonight maemo meeting on irc 20h UTC (in 20mins )

irc://irc.freenode.net/#maemo-meeting

See you there

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to www.rzr.online.fr For This Useful Post: