Active Topics

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
I can confirm problems with the initfs flasher with the new OS2008/n800 image. I've tried it a couple times and it will never boot from the mmc card, using the default settings as before. It will fail to boot from mmc and boot from flash but then I find I can't mount anything in the second SD slot; it's like I have a n810 without the keyboard/GPS

Larry

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Hmm, that's strange. Yesterday evening I downloaded flasher from the web to N800 with latest firmware and my bootmenu installation works fine. The only difference may be that I have my own bootmenu.conf which may override something. Will try with default bootmenu.sh with no customization. Do you use custom bootmenu.conf or copy one of examples included or have none?

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
My initial attempts at executing initfs_flash were in fact failing with the message stating "Cannot find initfs.bootmenu.jffs2, something failed, nothing flashed."
This looks like something serious, posting of full output (including extraction via tar) would tell more. Looks like full disk or currupted archive.

Following this, I restored my previous (2007) MyDocs/.documents directory, and then I was able to effect what I though was a successful establishing of my bootmenu.
Again full output of such "what I though was a successful establishing of my bootmenu" would say more.

But it doesn't work, and now I'm going to have to reflash a third time!
With linux flasher you can restore just initfs so your rootfs in flash (with all applications) is not touched. I think you need to add '--flash-only initfs' to flasher arguments (-f -F RX-34......bin -R) or you can first unpack firmware (flasher-3.0 -u -F RX-34...bin) and then flash just initfs.jffs2 (flasher-3.0 -n initfs.jffs2 -f) to be safe from flashing full firmware in case you make some typo with full firmware image as a parameter.

Will I have to abandon my mmc clone? Thanks and regards, Jim
No. Your clone on mmc is 2007 or 2008 system?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by lbattraw View Post
I can confirm problems with the initfs flasher with the new OS2008/n800 image. I've tried it a couple times and it will never boot from the mmc card, using the default settings as before. It will fail to boot from mmc and boot from flash but then I find I can't mount anything in the second SD slot
Larry
Looks like different problem. So in this case boot from flash works but mmc fails. Which slot doesn't work, the one you tried to boot from? If you select first item and boot from flash directly (i.e. no mmc boot failure) then second slot works? If you restore original initfs from firmware then second slot works?

Is anyone except me actually having no problem with initfs_flasher and latest 2008 firmware?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Hmm, that's strange. Yesterday evening I downloaded flasher from the web to N800 with latest firmware and my bootmenu installation works fine. The only difference may be that I have my own bootmenu.conf which may override something. Will try with default bootmenu.sh with no customization. Do you use custom bootmenu.conf or copy one of examples included or have none?

I tried it once with my own customized bootmenu.conf and once with the default. It failed in both instances.

This looks like something serious, posting of full output (including extraction via tar) would tell more. Looks like full disk or currupted archive.

The only way I can post this is to repeat the (failing) effort, which I am understandably loathe to do.

Again full output of such "what I though was a successful establishing of my bootmenu" would say more.

Ditto, my reluctance.

With linux flasher you can restore just initfs so your rootfs in flash (with all applications) is not touched. I think you need to add '--flash-only initfs' to flasher arguments (-f -F RX-34......bin -R) or you can first unpack firmware (flasher-3.0 -u -F RX-34...bin) and then flash just initfs.jffs2 (flasher-3.0 -n initfs.jffs2 -f) to be safe from flashing full firmware in case you make some typo with full firmware image as a parameter.

This is clearly a safer way for me to proceed -- if I entirely understood it, which I don't. I'm afraid you'd have to be a bit more explicit, i.e. give me the actual code language and place of the command. Sorry.

My clone is of quite recent vintage.

Many thanks and regards,

I successfully used the bootmenu by editing bootmenu.sh and I am using it to boot from the external slot on my n800 (/dev/mmcblk1p1).

I followed the cloning to sd card procedure with new OS2008 image on N800 and had no probs.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

FANOUSH: WELL, I DECIDED TO THROW CAUTION TO THE WINDS, AND ON THE BASIS OF ALL YOUR PRIOR EXCELLENT ADVICE OVER YEARS I GAVE IT ANOTHER TRY. THIS WAS NOT STRICTLY A BLIND ROLLING OF THE DICE ON MY PART, BUT THERE WAS ONE CHANGED CIRCUMSTANCE WHICH MADE ME WILLING TO TRY AGAIN: IN MY THIRD FLASHING OF THE NEW FIRMWARE, I DID NOT RESTORE ANY FILES FROM PREVIOUSLY. I WAS THEREFORE, I FIGURED, STARTING WITH A CLEAN SLATE. (OH, THESE METAPHORS!)

ANYWAY, EVERYTHING WENT FINE AND I CAN USE MY MMC SYSTEM AGAIN. WHICH IS GREAT, IN THAT THERE ARE FEW APPLICATIONS YET AVAILABLE TO ME THROUGH SUCCESSFUL DOWNLOADING IN THE NEW FIRMWARE. AGAIN, MANY THANKS. SORRY TO HAVE TROUBLED YOU. WE MUST BE VERY CAUTIOUS (OR SELECTIVE) IN RESTORING AFTER A RE-FLASHING, WHICH WE HAVE BEEN VARIOUSLY WARNED AGAINST ELSEWHERE IN THIS FORUM

This is clearly a safer way for me to proceed -- if I entirely understood it, which I don't. I'm afraid you'd have to be a bit more explicit, i.e. give me the actual code language and place of the command. Sorry.
You can flash full firmware from linux PC via
Code:
flasher-3.0 -f -F RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.50-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -R
You can flash only initfs part by adding --flash-only initfs so whole line is
Code:
flasher-3.0 --flash-only initfs -f -F RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.50-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -R
This will, restore initfs without losing any other data.

Anyway, I am happy it worked fine after all. Still, restoring backup should not affect anything. Well except when it is so large it fills whole flash leaving not enough space for initfs flasher to create initfs.bootmenu.jffs2 image.

Thanks to others for confirming that it works for them.

You can flash full firmware from linux PC via
Code:
flasher-3.0 -f -F RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.50-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -R
You can flash only initfs part by adding --flash-only initfs so whole line is
Code:
flasher-3.0 --flash-only initfs -f -F RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.50-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -R
This will, restore initfs without losing any other data.

Anyway, I am happy it worked fine after all. Still, restoring backup should not affect anything. Well except when it is so large it fills whole flash leaving not enough space for initfs flasher to create initfs.bootmenu.jffs2 image.

Thanks to others for confirming that it works for them.
Fanoush: Thanks. I will definitely save those code commands for possible future use.

There's always a slight cloud in a silver lining! My mmc clone will now not allow me to access wi-fi and the internet -- it doesn't recognize my router, and my codes are still all right -- and the directional toggles in the D-button don't work. But since I can access wi-fi all right in the main flash firmware, I'm not at this point seriously inconvenienced. Thanks again.

My mmc clone will now not allow me to access wi-fi and the internet -- it doesn't recognize my router, and my codes are still all right -- and the directional toggles in the D-button don't work
Yes, this is known issue. You may check beginning of this thread for more details.