Posts: 127 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Ipswich, Uk
Originally Posted by specc View Post
I understand completely. I just figured out the N9 cannot have attachments to e-mails longer than 5 MB. The solution was opening xterm, modding a obscure conf file in vi and voilą. Some years ago this was fun, but now? Things are getting old. Besides, not being able to attach files larger than 5 MB by default? WTF!!! What kind of smartphone is that?

I still like gadgets though, but on a more "higher" level I guess. Being able to actually use the device for real things is more important than modding files right now.
This mail absolutely sum's up my feelings about linux smart phones and I guess to pretty much all of them on the market.. When I first got my N900 it was like beautiful sex with no compromise, but now its like the same old cream crackers, I'm not sure weather to have it with cheese or butter or spread... its just a cream cracker.. I did love the tweaking and making things work just so... but I have a major hobby and that's Audiophile and that has ruled my life for years and taken many penny's... The N900 is a major drain on my time too and I can't have both or I don't get anything else done in a day.. great if I was a rich man.. but I'm not. It's time to move on..

Loz.

Audiophile real hi end hifi lover: Revolver Rebel turntable Ortofon CMBPRO stylus, Arcam FMJ MS250 Media server, Krell KRC-2 Analogue pre amp, DENON UDRA-70 sub amp, Harmon Kardon EQ8 eq.
ECS EA1 mono block amps x2, Tannoy M3, Tannoy ST50 super tweeters.
Tannoy 625 Alfie Sub, Revo iblik Wifi reflashed now with DAB. Pure Sound

Dont steal, the govenment hates the compitition.

www.vacrite.co.uk

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
S3 is still a Linux phone, isn't it?

Last edited by fasza2; 2012-05-20 at 20:03. Reason: grammar

Originally Posted by fasza2 View Post
S3 is still Linux phone isn't it?
Is it?

Loz

Audiophile real hi end hifi lover: Revolver Rebel turntable Ortofon CMBPRO stylus, Arcam FMJ MS250 Media server, Krell KRC-2 Analogue pre amp, DENON UDRA-70 sub amp, Harmon Kardon EQ8 eq.

www.vacrite.co.uk

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Apeldoorn area, Netherlands
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Is it?

Loz
Android is build on Linux.

Android's kernel is based on the Linux kernel and has further architecture changes by Google outside the typical Linux kernel development cycle.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by fasza2 View Post
S3 is still Linux phone isn't it?
no, today when someone says linux it means linux distro which means gnu/linux and not linux kernel

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ london
btw one last comment the n9 is A LOT less head banging and hassle free then the n900, the reviews of the n9 get it spot on... but be sure if you are gonna go for the galaxy S3 and spend that kind of money, it wont feel like a premium device cause of the the building materials are very similar to the S2. However the spec sheet is just insane

price vs premium feel ratio is important, you may want to consider a Sony phone, spec's may not be the best but its a quality device.

Originally Posted by mohi2k7 View Post
price vs premium feel ratio is important, you may want to consider a Sony phone, spec's may not be the best but its a quality device.
I've had issues with Sony in my time... they wouldn't get another penny out of me for any of there products...Nuff Said.

Loz.

www.vacrite.co.uk

The Following User Says Thank You to Loz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
no, today when someone says linux it means linux distro which means gnu/linux and not linux kernel
Well nowdays, people refer to bloatware as OS. This is from wikipedia: "An operating system (OS) is a set of software that manages computer hardware resources and provides common services for computer programs." and it's provided on an Android device by the Linux Kernel. So Linux is the OS. not Dalvik VM.

Regarding OP's point; I do agree that such settings should be graphicaly available to the avarage user, and dropping to shell shouldn't be expected of everyone. Not all of us(people) want to be a techie.

@Loz: I don't like very much the way Android works, but if I had to pick one It would be the Galaxy Nexus. I can't stand sony myself either

The Following User Says Thank You to fasza2 For This Useful Post:
You can install LXDE Fedora or Ubuntu in Samsung Galaxy S3, if you need and miss real Linux then.
And who knows, later you may be able to install Tizen to SGS3 and Samsung unofficially would support it too.

Tags
tizen comes