Posts: 127 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Ipswich, Uk
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
You can install LXDE Fedora or Ubuntu in Samsung Galaxy S3, if you need and miss real Linux then.
And who knows, later you may be able to install Tizen to SGS3 and Samsung unofficially would support it too.
S again am I been told here that the Samsung is just as much the toy the N900 is? it can be jail break and other OS can be installed? Not that I'd want to.. as there are more than enough apps... I'm sure to find all I need without having to break my phone...

Loz

Audiophile real hi end hifi lover: Revolver Rebel turntable Ortofon CMBPRO stylus, Arcam FMJ MS250 Media server, Krell KRC-2 Analogue pre amp, DENON UDRA-70 sub amp, Harmon Kardon EQ8 eq.
ECS EA1 mono block amps x2, Tannoy M3, Tannoy ST50 super tweeters.
Tannoy 625 Alfie Sub, Revo iblik Wifi reflashed now with DAB. Pure Sound

Dont steal, the govenment hates the compitition.

www.vacrite.co.uk

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
You can install LXDE Fedora or Ubuntu in Samsung Galaxy S3, if you need and miss real Linux then.
And who knows, later you may be able to install Tizen to SGS3 and Samsung unofficially would support it too.
you mean chroot through vnc or some similar crap?

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fasza2 View Post
Regarding OP's point; I do agree that such settings should be graphicaly available to the avarage user, and dropping to shell shouldn't be expected of everyone. Not all of us(people) want to be a techie.
The "average user" you say. There is absolutely no way fix the attachment bug unless:
  1. You live and breath Linux/Maemo/MeeGo
  2. You visit this board

You have to edit the file /home/user/.config/Nokia/Fenix.conf by adding on a separate line maxAttachmentSize=XX under [General] where XX is in MB.

There is no way this can be done out of the blue even if you are way beyond the average user, you have to know the inner workings of "Fenix" on the N9. For the average user the N9 will stay crippled forever.

On the SGS3 stuff just work right out of the box. But you can also do heavy modding by installing custom roms and so on. The best of both worlds, very similar to what Symbian and WM used to be like, only Android is better.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Yes, you can make a chrootable Debian/Ubuntu image for Android. I followed a guide to do so myself on the N9 for an Easy Debian-style rootfs image. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1172504 Well, there are lots of apps that streamline the process, and I guess it runs fine since it's been tested/used a lot already..

Originally Posted by specc View Post
You have to edit the file /home/user/.config/Nokia/Fenix.conf by adding on a separate line maxAttachmentSize=XX under [General] where XX is in MB.
:O Thank you, sir.

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
you mean chroot through vnc or some similar crap?
For Fedora and Ubuntu, yes.
running Fedora and Ubuntu under Android
For Tizen, whole firmware upgrade.

Originally Posted by Loz View Post
it can be jail break and other OS can be installed?
"jail break" is not a right word because it is as easy as power-kernel and CSSU for N900. See Cyanogen mod.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
The first review of the SGS3

It's the new king of phones.

Originally Posted by user/zero View Post
:O Thank you, sir.
Don't thank me. I found it here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=690

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by user/zero View Post
Yes, you can make a chrootable Debian/Ubuntu image for Android. I followed a guide to do so myself on the N9 for an Easy Debian-style rootfs image. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1172504 Well, there are lots of apps that streamline the process, and I guess it runs fine since it's been tested/used a lot already..
it does not run FINE and is a piece of very slow crap
its like using windows 95 on qemu

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-05-21 at 07:13.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
But this is slower than your average Maemo 5 session.

Also, you can't have OpenGL ES programs inside VNC.
(Perhaps someone should come up with an enlightened drawing API to bridge Android and GNU/Linux, or as I have started to call it, GNU Plus Linux ...)

Or better yet, move the entirety of Android off bionic dependency, and make it use glibc/eglibc. RAM isn't as much of an issue on cheapass phones as it was back when the G1 was hot ****, so why keep using bionic?

Tags
tizen comes